Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Have you seen these 10 classic films..?

9 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I've seen #132 How Green Was My Valley (what a bore that film was) and 133. 

I tried watching Janet Gaynor's A Star is Born, but at that time I found Gaynor annoying and didn't finish the film.  I should probably give her another chance.  

The Gaynor-March version is great...maybe you'll get a chance to finish it.

• Like 1

141 is my favorite of the bunch. 149 is one of my mom's favorite since she loves Patrick Swayze. 143 is considered by many to be Tracy and Hepburn's weakest film and while I agree it's not quite up there with ADAM'S RIB, WOMAN OF THE YEAR or GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER, I still liked the movie just the same.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Even though I prefer the Judy Garland/James Mason version, the Gaynor/March film is still leagues ahead of the horrid Barbra Streisand/Kris Kristofferson film, I agree with TopBilled, give the 1937 film another chance.

Haven't seen the Lady Gaga version, and have no intention of doing so.

• Thanks 1

141 Gone With the Wind - yes

143 Sea of Grass - no

146 The Graduate - yes

147 Sounder - no

148 Ferris Bueller's Day Off - no

149 Ghost - yes

150 My Big Fat Greek Wedding - no

The others I can't identify without help. Looks like maybe I've only seen three of these, which would be an all-time low.

Cheat Sheet:

141. GONE WITH THE WIND (1939) with Vivien Leigh & Hattie McDaniel.

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 4.52.20 PM.jpeg

142. THE CHEATERS (1945) with Joseph Schildkraut, Eugene Pallette & Billie Burke.

screen-shot-2017-12-24-at-1-36-33-pm.png

143. THE SEA OF GRASS (1947) with Spencer Tracy & Katharine Hepburn.

screen-shot-2018-10-25-at-9-11-34-am.jpg

144. THE MOB (1951) with Broderick Crawford.

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 9.44.04 PM.jpeg

145. INTERLUDE (1957) with June Allyson & Rossano Brazzi.

screen-shot-2019-11-21-at-11.27.52-am.jpeg

146. THE GRADUATE (1967) with Katharine Ross & Dustin Hoffman.

c9a57-screen2bshot2b2016-06-082bat2b4-31

147. SOUNDER (1972) with Cicely Tyson.

Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 8.28.23 AM.jpeg

148. FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF (1986) with Matthew Broderick.

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 4.40.13 PM.jpeg

149. GHOST (1990) with Demi Moore & Patrick Swayze.

screen.jpeg

150.  MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING (2002) with Nia Vardalos.

Screen Shot 2019-11-24 at 8.19.55 AM.jpeg

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Cheat Sheet:

141. GONE WITH THE WIND (1939) with Vivien Leigh & Hattie McDaniel.

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 4.52.20 PM.jpeg

And Ona Munson on the right who played Belle Watling, TB.

(...btw, isn't the dress Leigh is wearing there the one she "saw in the window and just couldn't resist it"?...minus the curtain rod, of course) ;)

1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

159 is the only one of this bunch I haven't seen. I always loved 160, such a cute and funny film and I always liked Michael Keaton.

Yeah, and I always especially liked Ann Jillian as the sultry brunette neighborhood temptress in Mr. Mom. Much hotter as a brunette than she ever was with that bleached blonde hair.

(...seen all of these ten but the one with Julie Harris...always loved the clever twist ending in #158, which is sort of a western forerunner to The Sting)

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Seen all of the latest ones;  Only see #155,  The Big Knife, if you're interested in a film full of fun and laughter. 

(NOT!). 

And tremendous over-acting by both Steiger and Palance.

(...was there any scenery at all left unchewed by 'em in this thing...don't think so)

• Haha 1
22 minutes ago, Dargo said:

And tremendous over-acting by both Steiger and Palance.

(...was there any scenery at all left unchewed by 'em in this thing...don't think so)

Yea,  I was going to make a similar comment related to how a pro like Ida Lupino must have felt having to do scenes with these two "method" actors (especially Steiger,  but Palance was the understudy for Brando in A Streetcar Named Desire,  and worked with Kazan).   

Here is an interesting comment from producer\director Robert Aldrich related to Steiger's movie mogul character Hoff: 

"We'd had twenty years of petty dictators running the industry, during which time everybody worked and everybody got paid, maybe not enough, but they weren't on relief. Seventeen years later you wonder if the industry is really more healthy in terms of creativity. Are we making more or better pictures without that central control? But when everybody worked under those guys, they hated them. So we took the drumroll from Nuremberg and put it under the Hoff character's entrances and exits. It wasn't too subtle... The Hoff crying came from Mayer, who is reported to have been able to cry at the drop of an option. But the big rebuff that Odets suffered was at the hands of Columbia, so there was more of Cohn in the original play than there was of Mayer".

• Thanks 2
9 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea,  I was going to make a similar comment related to how a pro like Ida Lupino must have felt having to do scenes with these two "method" actors (especially Steiger,  but Palance was the understudy for Brando in A Streetcar Named Desire,  and worked with Kazan).   

Here is an interesting comment from producer\director Robert Aldrich related to Steiger's movie mogul character Hoff: 

"We'd had twenty years of petty dictators running the industry, during which time everybody worked and everybody got paid, maybe not enough, but they weren't on relief. Seventeen years later you wonder if the industry is really more healthy in terms of creativity. Are we making more or better pictures without that central control? But when everybody worked under those guys, they hated them. So we took the drumroll from Nuremberg and put it under the Hoff character's entrances and exits. It wasn't too subtle... The Hoff crying came from Mayer, who is reported to have been able to cry at the drop of an option. But the big rebuff that Odets suffered was at the hands of Columbia, so there was more of Cohn in the original play than there was of Mayer".

Yep, I've always gotten the impression that Steiger was channeling Harry Cohn in it.

(...and of whom as you know would become the butt of that famous Red Skelton quote after Cohn's death and the subsequent large attendance at his funeral: "Well, Harry did always say give the people what they want and they'll turn out for it.")

• Haha 1

I'm struggling with most of these.

152 could be The Little Princess, in which case, I've seen it, but I'm not sure.

153 is They Were Expendable - yes, I've seen it.

154 might be Member of the Wedding? Which I've seen, though I don't remember this particular scene. That might be a 12-year-old, or it might be Julie Harris. Ha ha, sorry. 

155 has been revealed already. Haven't seen it.

157 is Seance on a Wet Afternoon, I think? I've seen it.

159 The Great Gatsby - no

160 Mr. Mom - yes

So, only two I'm absolutely sure I've seen, but maybe as many as five, depending on whether my guesses are correct.

• Like 1

Seen

134. WINCHESTER 73 (1950) with James Stewart.

135. THE ROSE TATTOO (1955) with Burt Lancaster & Anna Magnani.

136. INHERIT THE WIND (1960) with Spencer Tracy & Fredric March.

138. WHAT'S UP DOC? (1972) with Barbra Streisand & Ryan O'Neal.

139. THE SHOOTIST (1976) with John Wayne.

140. COCOON (1985) with Don Ameche, Hume Cronyn & Wilford Brimley.

• Like 1

I haven't seen #152; I don't think I've ever seen a movie with Shirley Temple as a child.

I keep thinking #151 is Platinum Blonde, and I've seen it, but the actress in the picture doesn't look like Jean Harlow.

I've seen all the rest.

#158 is A Big Hand for the Little Lady.

Both Kim Stanley and Richard Attenborough are great in Séance on a Wet Afternoon.

• Like 1

Nice comments, everyone. Interesting to read what you've all seen (or not seen).

Cheat Sheet:

151. BOMBSHELL (1933) with Jean Harlow.

Screen shot 2017-03-25 at 6.52.48 PM.png

152. SUSANNAH OF THE MOUNTIES (1938) with Randolph Scott & Shirley Temple.

Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 7.06.28 AM.png

153. THEY WERE EXPENDABLE (1945) with John Wayne & Robert Montgomery.

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 5.12.45 PM.jpeg

154. THE MEMBER OF THE WEDDING (1952) with Julie Harris.

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 12.17.51 PM.jpeg

155. THE BIG KNIFE (1955) with Ida Lupino & Jack Palance.

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 1.04.24 PM.jpeg

156. THE KENTUCKIAN (1955) with Burt Lancaster.

Screen Shot 2018-07-22 at 5.49.35 AM.jpg

157. SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON (1964) with Kim Stanley.

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 1.18.11 PM.png

158. A BIG HAND FOR THE LITTLE LADY (1966) with Jason Robards & Joanne Woodward.

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 12.49.28 PM.png

159. THE GREAT GATSBY (1974) with Mia Farrow & Robert Redford.

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 5.15.26 PM.jpeg

160. MR. MOM (1983) with Michael Keaton.

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 5.17.41 PM.jpeg

On 12/2/2019 at 7:51 AM, TopBilled said:

wow buddy, we have our biggest split may ever on ford's epic   beside it defeating kane in the Oscars with 5 victories, it eastwood's all-timer

but ford himself thought sergent york was the best that yr

I've actually seen Bombshell and A Big Hand for a Little Lady, but it had been a long time for both. I couldn't identify them. I don't even remember Jason Robards in the latter. Anyway, that means I've seen seven of those 10, which I think is tied for my personal "best".

• Thanks 1

seen

151. BOMBSHELL (1933) with Jean Harlow.

152. THE LITTLE PRINCESS (1939) with Shirley Temple.

153. THEY WERE EXPENDABLE (1945) with John Wayne & Robert Montgomery.

155. THE BIG KNIFE (1955) with Ida Lupino & Jack Palance. didn't like it

156. THE KENTUCKIAN (1955) with Burt Lancaster.

157. SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON (1964) with Kim Stanley. fell asleep trying to get through it more than once

158. A BIG HAND FOR THE LITTLE LADY (1966) with Jason Robards & Joanne Woodward.

159. THE GREAT GATSBY (1974) with Mia Farrow & Robert Redford.

• Thanks 1