Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

Have you seen these 10 classic films..?

They do this sort of thing on THIS channel(I think) but only in 5's.

On your first list of 10, #8 threw me for a bit.  But it was just the B&W still.

Sepiatone

For the second group of 10, I know for sure that I've seen 2 and 6. I have 4 on the DVR.  A couple of the other stills look familiar, but I cannot recall the titles to know if I've seen them or not.

26 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

For the second group of 10, I know for sure that I've seen 2 and 6. I have 4 on the DVR.  A couple of the other stills look familiar, but I cannot recall the titles to know if I've seen them or not.

I renumbered the ones I added today. They are 11-20, so that we don't get confused with the ones from yesterday.

Thanks.

34 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

They do this sort of thing on THIS channel(I think) but only in 5's.

On your first list of 10, #8 threw me for a bit.  But it was just the B&W still.

Sepiatone

Each day I will present them in chronological order. So if you know #7 and #9, for example, then #8 would fall somewhere in between. That will help narrow it down.

But I will always provide a Cheat Sheet too. That will be posted a bit later in the day.

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

I renumbered the ones I added today. They are 11-20, so that we don't get confused with the ones from yesterday.

Thanks.

Okay. I've seen 12 and 16.  14 is on my DVR.  Is 18 Cat Ballou ?

A couple of the other ones look familiar but I cannot recall the titles. 

1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

Is 18 Cat Ballou ?

No. The actress firing the gun is Raquel Welch.

No. The actress firing the gun is Raquel Welch.

Oh okay.  I haven't seen that film then. I didn't think it was Jane Fonda, but since the picture was small, I was like "did she have brown hair in that movie?" I couldn't remember.

Cheat Sheet:

11. THE JAZZ SINGER (1927) with Al Jolson

The-Jazz-Singer-1927-Featured-Image-644x356.jpeg

12. OF HUMAN BONDAGE (1934) with Leslie Howard & Bette Davis

Screen Shot 2019-11-02 at 8.05.21 AM.jpeg

13. THE OCTOBER MAN (1947) with John Mills

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 2.22.20 PM.jpeg

14. I REMEMBER MAMA (1948) with Irene Dunne

e63e3-screen2bshot2b2016-03-182bat2b4-06

15.NEVER WAVE AT A WAC (1953) with Rosalind Russell

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 1.34.46 PM.jpeg

16. ELEPHANT WALK (1954) with Elizabeth Taylor & Peter Finch

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 10.00.09 AM.jpeg

17. ANGEL BABY (1961) with Burt Reynolds & Salome Jens

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 2.46.10 PM.jpeg

18. BANDOLERO! (1968) with Raquel Welch

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 2.47.49 PM.jpeg

19. THE BLACK STALLION (1979) with Kelly Reno

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 2.24.31 PM.jpeg

20. THROW MOMMA FROM THE TRAIN (1987) with Danny DeVito & Anne Ramsey

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 2.44.36 PM.jpeg

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I haven't seen The October Man, or Never Wave at a WAC.

THE OCTOBER MAN is currently on YouTube.

I still have only seen the two that I mentioned. And I have I Remember Mama on my DVR.  I knew the last one was Throw Mama From a Train, but I haven't seen that one yet. 

• Like 1

I knew the last one was Throw Mama From a Train, but I haven't seen that one yet. 

It is "inspired" by STRANGERS ON A TRAIN. Though it has more comedic elements, since the leads are played by Billy Crystal and Danny DeVito.

• Thanks 1

It is "inspired" by STRANGERS ON A TRAIN. Though it has more comedic elements, since the leads are played by Billy Crystal and Danny DeVito.

I didn't know that.  I recently just saw Strangers on a Train in the theater and loved it.  Throw Momma From a Train would be an interesting companion film and it'd go with my 80s/90s cult classic film kick. I think now I'm on like 3 kicks concurrently and contemplating a 4th. 

• Like 1

I lost I Remember Mama on my DVR when Comcast dropped my Cloud DVR from 150 to 60 hours. I haven't seen it all the way from start to finish. Anyone who doesn't have a physical DVR like speedracer5 does with DISH, should make sure they keep up to date with changes. I also lost my TCM showing of The Competition.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

I lost I Remember Mama on my DVR when Comcast dropped my Cloud DVR from 150 to 60 hours. I haven't seen it all the way from start to finish. Anyone who doesn't have a physical DVR like speedracer5 does with DISH, should make sure they keep up to date with changes. I also lost my TCM showing of The Competition.

I have over 500 movies recorded on my DVR, and am at 89% capacity.

12 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Do you know if the recordings are SD (standard definition) or HD (high definition)? That makes a big difference on my DVR. A two-hour SD movie will take up about 1% of space, while a two-hour HD movie will take up 5% or more.

5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Do you know if the recordings are SD (standard definition) or HD (high definition)? That makes a big difference on my DVR. A two-hour SD movie will take up about 1% of space, while a two-hour HD movie will take up 5% or more.

My recordings are all from the HD feed of TCM. 

I'm excited that Dish just changed the On Demand TCM movies to HD.  They used to be SD so I'd have to watch the movie inside of a tiny box; but when I watched Johnny Eager last week, it was HD and filled the whole screen. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Can you back any of that up to a secondary storage device? In the event of a hardware fail, that is a huge loss.

I suspect LawrenceA has a physical hard drive too. Otherwise Cloud DVR maxes out at 150 hours. Comcast doesn't care about SD/HD, just hours. My previous Comcast/Xfinity X1 box was from 2016. I was not aware there was no hard drive inside. When the tech came to replace the box, there was no hard drive to swap, just dump the cloud storage to the new X1.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

Can you back any of that up to a secondary storage device? In the event of a hardware fail, that is a huge loss.

I suspect LawrenceA has a physical hard drive too. Otherwise Cloud DVR maxes out at 150 hours. Comcast doesn't care about SD/HD, just hours. My previous Comcast/Xfinity X1 box was from 2016. I was not aware there was no hard drive inside. When the tech came to replace the box, there was no hard drive to swap, just dump the cloud storage to the new X1.

I probably could, but I don't have an external hard drive.  I've had my DVR hardware fail and had to return it for a new one.  I can't even remember what was lost, but I've more than made up for it.  I have two folders on it.  One folder is my main folder with my name on it, my husband's folder is empty, lol.  He is more efficient than I am.  My other folder is my "Keep" folder.  When I watch a movie that I love and want to be able to re-watch it, I move it to that folder.  If I manage to get a hold of a physical copy, then I will delete it off the DVR.

I have a 2 TB DVR.  I don't know how much space the films take. I know it seems to take a few films for the capacity to raise 1%. 

25 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Not seen 12, 13, 15.

They're all currently on YouTube if you're interested.

There's an excellent print of 12 (OF HUMAN BONDAGE); an excellent print of 13 (THE OCTOBER MAN) and a so-so public domain print of 15 (NEVER WAVE AT A WAC).

If you are a fan of noir, and of course we know you are joe-- then THE OCTOBER MAN is a must-see.

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 2.48.54 PM.jpeg

7 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

They're all currently on YouTube if you're interested.

There's an excellent print of 12 (OF HUMAN BONDAGE); an excellent print of 13 (THE OCTOBER MAN) and a so-so public domain print of 15 (NEVER WAVE AT A WAC).

If you are a fan of noir, and of course we know you are joe-- then THE OCTOBER MAN is a must-see.

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 2.48.54 PM.jpeg

Of Human Bondage was just on TCM a couple weeks ago, it may still be on Watch TCM or On Demand too. I literally just saw this film for the first time when it aired during Bette Davis Tuesday.  I am curious about the two remakes with Eleanor Parker and Kim Novak.

• Like 1

Of Human Bondage was just on TCM a couple weeks ago, it may still be on Watch TCM or On Demand too. I literally just saw this film for the first time when it aired during Bette Davis Tuesday.  I am curious about the two remakes with Eleanor Parker and Kim Novak.

You might enjoy the remakes. I don't think they are as good as the 1934 version, however.

Novak is way out of her depth in the role of Mildred the Cockney waitress. She never should have been cast in my not-so-humble opinion. But this later version benefits from being filmed on location in England and feels less studio-bound than the previous two productions. Laurence Harvey is quite good as the male lead.

• Like 2