Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

Have you seen these 10 classic films..?

3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

15 (NEVER WAVE AT A WAC)

This is on Amazon Prime. Easy way to find out is look up the movie on IMDb.

This one too: 12 (OF HUMAN BONDAGE)

THE OCTOBER MAN on IMDb says "Add to watchlist." I wonder if that works?

3 minutes ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

This is on Amazon Prime. Easy way to find out is look up the movie on IMDb.

This one too: 12 (OF HUMAN BONDAGE)

THE OCTOBER MAN on IMDb says "Add to watchlist." I wonder if that works?

OF HUMAN BONDAGE '34 and NEVER WAVE AT A WAC are both public domain titles. The trick is to find good copies of them and fortunately someone did upload a nice print for OF HUMAN BONDAGE on YouTube.

THE OCTOBER MAN is a British noir and I don't think its original copyright is protected in the U.S. It is also on YouTube. A sharp looking print. Not sure how long it will remain posted. Watch it while you can!

7 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

You might enjoy the remakes. I don't think they are as good as the 1934 version, however.

Novak is way out of her depth in the role of Mildred the Cockney waitress. She never should have been cast in my not-so-humble opinion. But this later version benefits from being filmed on location in England and feels less studio-bound than the previous two productions. Laurence Harvey is quite good as the male lead.

I thought it would be interesting to compare the three versions based on the time in which they were made:

1934 BETTE DAVIS- Precode

1946 ELEANOR PARKER- Production Code

1964 KIM NOVAK- Production Code is being phased out

I am curious how the story would be changed within the confines of the standards that were in place.  I am curious about Novak as Mildred.  I can see Parker performing a decent Mildred, I am not sure about Novak.  But I won't know until I actually see it. 

• Like 1

I have used online sources to download from YouTube. Gotta be careful as some sites have a hidden agenda. You often end up with an MP4 file. I have a Blu-Ray that can play them from USB.

1 minute ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

I have used online sources to download from YouTube. Gotta be careful as some sites have a hidden agenda. You often end up with an MP4 file. I have a Blu-Ray that can play them from USB.

I am always nervous about getting malware from downloading random things online.  That's why I stick to TCM DVR recordings, streaming Amazon or other reputable sources, and borrowing from the library.

7 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I thought it would be interesting to compare the three versions based on the time in which they were made:

1934 BETTE DAVIS- Precode

1946 ELEANOR PARKER- Production Code

1964 KIM NOVAK- Production Code is being phased out

I am curious how the story would be changed within the confines of the standards that were in place.  I am curious about Novak as Mildred.  I can see Parker performing a decent Mildred, I am not sure about Novak.  But I won't know until I actually see it. 

All three are in the Turner library, so TCM could easily do a triple feature one evening. And show them in order.

The 1946 version doesn't work for me because of the supporting cast. I feel Janis Paige is miscast as the other woman, whom Paul Henreid is supposed to find happiness with after things end with Parker's Mildred. Janis Paige is a fine actress but she tends to work better in lighter fare like comedies and musicals. She feels out of place in a remake of this material.

They also have inserted Alexis Smith into the minor role of the third woman, which feels like miscasting too. Alexis Smith was a star at Warner Brothers during this time and usually did lead roles for the studio. So to see her have a smaller part with less screen time than Parker feels kind of off to me.

As I said earlier, the 1934 version is my favorite...it seems to get everything right.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

All three are in the Turner library, so TCM could easily do a triple feature one evening. And show them in order.

The 1946 version doesn't work for me because of the supporting cast. I feel Janis Paige is miscast as the other woman, whom Paul Henreid is supposed to find happiness with after things end with Parker's Mildred. Janis Paige is a fine actress but she tends to work better in lighter fare like comedies and musicals. She feels out of place in a remake of this material.

They also have inserted Alexis Smith into the minor role of the third woman, which feels like miscasting too. Alexis Smith was a star at Warner Brothers during this time and usually did lead roles for the studio. So to see her have a smaller part with less screen time than Parker feels kind of off to me.

As I said earlier, the 1934 version is my favorite...it seems to get everything right.

Image result for 1934 bette davis on human bondage

This scene of Bette Davis in Of Human Bondage made me laugh.  This represents how I feel when I wake up in the morning.  I just cannot imagine either Parker or Novak being as effective in a physical decline as Bette Davis. While I'm not sure about Novak, I know that Parker, like Davis, had no qualms about vanity. 

Apparently, I have the 1964 Of Human Bondage recorded on the DVR.  I'll need to look out for the 1946 version.

I also just found that I also have Never Wave at a WAC on my DVR too. I think I recorded it for Rosalind Russell.

• Like 1

The Academy was so upset with themselves for not nominating Bette Davis for Of Human Bondage, they not only nominated her the following year but gave her the Oscar for a much lesser performance in Dangerous.

I haven't seen 13, 17 or 18.  But now you've piqued my interest for The October Man.

I like all the rest, but my 3 favorites are 12 Angry Men, I Remember Mama and The Black Stallion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmnoirguy said:

I haven't seen 13, 17 or 18.  But now you've piqued my interest for The October Man. 

In some ways THE OCTOBER MAN is like THE BLUE DAHLIA. We get a post-war scenario, where a man returning from military service is dealing with post-traumatic stress disorder. John Mills' character is falsely accused of murdering a woman who was killed during a time when he has no alibi. It's an excellent film, with a very literate script by Eric Ambler and Mills gives an extraordinary performance.

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 6.33.50 PM.png

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I also just found that I also have Never Wave at a WAC on my DVR too. I think I recorded it for Rosalind Russell.

It's an entertaining comedy and it serves as an adequate vehicle for Russell. She is joined by Paul Douglas and Marie Wilson. Russell would leave Hollywood after this picture and concentrate on stage roles for awhile, before she returned two years later in the big screen adaptation of PICNIC.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I am always nervous about getting malware from downloading random things online.  That's why I stick to TCM DVR recordings, streaming Amazon or other reputable sources, and borrowing from the library.

I'm a brave fool.

I can get Amazon Prime for a discount because of my Medi-Cal status. It will stream using my cable box. Roku and Fire TV are annoying. I could stream Netflix with my cable box too, but the DVD service would probably be better.

1 minute ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

I'm a brave fool.

I can get Amazon Prime for a discount because of my Medi-Cal status. It will stream using my cable box. Roku and Fire TV are annoying. I could stream Netflix with my cable box too, but the DVD service would probably be better.

I have Amazon Prime too. I stream Amazon Prime, Disney+, Hulu, and Netflix on my TV.

2 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Love numbers 16 and 19, 20 was a complete disappointment for me. 

Yes I would agree that THROW MOMMA FROM THE TRAIN could have been better. Danny DeVito excels at playing miserable, unlikable characters. And he certainly gives a strong performance in this one. But I think the script's a bit lacking.

19 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I have Amazon Prime too. I stream Amazon Prime, Disney+, Hulu, and Netflix on my TV.

I've read Netflix has more choices and classics on DVD. I must say, my TV viewing budget is smaller than yours. I would drop TCM to add Amazon. The Prime extras don't matter to me. I do seem to recall Prime Video can be purchased as a standalone.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

I've read Netflix has more choices and classics on DVD. I must say, my TV viewing budget is smaller than yours. I would drop TCM to add Amazon. The Prime extras don't matter to me. I do seem to recall Prime Video can be purchased as a standalone.

We only have Prime for the shipping.  I think my husband uses the music service. The video part is a nice bonus.  I always forget about Amazon.  Usually I think of Amazon after I've exhausted all other avenues. Amazon has pretty much everything, some have a rental fee though.  Then I'm like "hmmm do I really want to pay $2.99? Or do I wait for TCM?" Lol.

I don't pay for all the streaming things myself. My husband also shares some of the expense for the things he watches. 

I saw The October Man on YT probably about six months ago. Very well done and worth

watching. I got a kick out of the slightly seedy hotel where Mills stays and the some of

the eccentric occupants. The villain is also pretty creepy in his own oily sanctimonious

way. There are just certain movies that I would not be interested in watching. I'd put

Bandolero and The Black Stallion in that category. To each their own.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

THE OCTOBER MAN is a British noir and I don't think its original copyright is protected in the U.S. It is also on YouTube. A sharp looking print. Not sure how long it will remain posted. Watch it while you can!

Just did nice print agree, good film.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Just did nice print agree, good film.

Glad you enjoyed it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't pay for all the streaming things myself. My husband also shares some of the expense for the things he watches.

Down here in California, what's yours is yours and what's his is yours. That may apply to other situations.

25 minutes ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

Down here in California, what's yours is yours and what's his is yours. That may apply to other situations.

Hmm. Since I don't plan on getting divorced anytime soon, I don't think I'll need to check into the Oregon community property laws.  I've known the man for 20 years. So I'm confident that we're compatible. I don't believe in everything being mine. We do have possessions that are unequivocally mine or his. We also have our own separate money, so if he buys games or a bird (we only have 1), or what have you, as long as he's paid his bills, it doesn't matter to me. 

Not so good on this round. 4 of them: of Human Bondage, I Remember Mama, 12 Angry Men, and Throw Momma from the Train. I saw the latter half of The Black Stallion on TCM a few years ago, but have yet to see the front half of it. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Yes I would agree that THROW MOMMA FROM THE TRAIN could have been better. Danny DeVito excels at playing miserable, unlikable characters. And he certainly gives a strong performance in this one. But I think the script's a bit lacking.

Not to mention that the revelation about the Kate Mulgrew character at the end comes a bit out of left field because you expected nothing else to be heard on that level. that said though the film has one great line from Anne Ramsey after the attemt to off her by blowing a trumpet into her ear while she was sleeping. "Louis Armstrong was trying to kill me!"

• Haha 1

The ones I haven't seen are The October Man and Angel Baby, but now I'm interested in watching The October Man. 12 Angry Men and The Black Stallion are excellent films; I never get tired of watching them.

Anne Ramsey was hilarious in Throw Momma from the Train.

• Like 2

I felt pretty provincial looking at the first list, because I'd only seen the last three of them, the three post-1975 movies, which almost makes me feel like a newbie even though I've been watching TCM for almost 20 years. I feel like Mr. Blandings is one I probably should have seen, since it's probably aired on TCM numerous times, but I've always missed it somehow.

I felt a little better looking at the second list. I've seen six of those movies: The Jazz SingerOf Human BondageI Remember Mama12 Angry MenThe Black Stallion and Throw Mama from the Train (I remember Mama, but I still threw her from the train!).

• Like 1