Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Have you seen these 10 classic films..?

33 and 39 I can watch again and again, 37 was way too weird for me, 38 I can watch from time to time though I can't say it's one of my favorites, and 40, well despite the love it gets from everybody else, I will NEVER sit through again if I can help it (I love Tom Hanks but not in this movie, though I know I am the minority on that).

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

33 and 39 I can watch again and again, 37 was way too weird for me, 38 I can watch from time to time though I can't say it's one of my favorites, and 40, well despite the love it gets from everybody else, I will NEVER sit through again if I can help it (I love Tom Hanks but not in this movie, though I know I am the minority on that).

Robert Wise directed #37, and it is probably best enjoyed by people who like his earlier work in the horror genre, such as A GAME OF DEATH (1945) and THE HAUNTING (1963). 

As you know, numbers 33 & 39 both feature a strong mother-daughter relationship.

I watched #40 way before everyone else. I was still in film school that year and was chosen to be part of an advance screening (test audience). I remember the surveys we filled out afterwards. I wrote on my survey card that I figured it would go on to win Best Picture. And it did!

Some of these look familiar but I cannot recall the titles.

I love 33. I've seen that movie a dozen times and I never tire of it.

I've also seen 39 and 40. 

When I told my friends that I don't cry at movies, they were determined to find the saddest movie of all time to see if I would cry.  They picked #39.  

I didn't cry.

I already knew the ending, so I was anticipating it. 

Cheat Sheet:

31. INTERMEZZO (1939) with Leslie Howard & Ingrid Bergman.

Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 6.36.01 AM.png

32. HITLER'S MADMAN (1943) with John Carradine.

Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 4.25.28 PM.jpeg

33. MILDRED PIERCE (1945) with Joan Crawford & Ann Blyth.

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 8.01.00 AM.jpeg

34. I'LL CRY TOMORROW (1955) with Susan Hayward.

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 7.34.20 PM.jpeg

35. PORTRAIT IN BLACK (1960) with Lana Turner & Anthony Quinn.

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 7.59.34 PM.jpeg

36. THE BROTHERHOOD (1968) with Kirk Douglas & Alex Cord.

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 5.45.46 PM.jpeg

37. AUDREY ROSE (1977) with Anthony Hopkins.

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 8.26.25 AM.jpeg

38. COMING HOME (1978) with Jon Voight & Jane Fonda.

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 7.39.23 PM.jpeg

39. TERMS OF ENDEARMENT (1983) with Shirley MacLaine, Debra Winger & Jack Nicholson.

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 8.02.22 PM.jpeg

40. FORREST GUMP (1994) with Tom Hanks and a box of chocolates.

screen-shot-2019-11-20-at-8.29.29-am.jpeg

My favorites here are 21, 22, 23 and 26.  Nina Foch is especially effective in My Name Is Julia Ross.  I'm a huge Barbara Stanwyck fan and The Night Walker  is one of William Castle's better horror films.

The only one I haven't seen is 27.  I'll check out The Tamarind Seed.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

6/10. Have a DVd of Portrait in Black, but haven't seen it yet. Other three yet to see: The Brotherhood, Hitler's Madman, and Audrey Rose.

I first saw THE BROTHERHOOD (1968) on the RetroPlex channel a few years ago. It's very well made. Martin Ritt is the director. 

TCM's never aired it.

Paramount issued it on DVD, and it can be streamed on Amazon Prime Video for a fee.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Arsan404 said:

Hitler's Madman is the one I haven't seen.

It was an independent production, meant to be released through poverty row outfit PRC. But L.B. Mayer found out about the film (it's based on the slaughter of a village by the Nazis), and he purchased it. Then he added some scenes with a few of his MGM performers, including a young Ava Gardner. But most of the main story remained intact. It's actually quite good. Carradine gives a chilling portrayal of a deranged German officer.

Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 4.25.46 PM.jpeg

3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

It was an independent production, meant to be released through poverty row outfit PRC. But L.B. Mayer found out about the film (it's based on the slaughter of a village by the Nazis), and he purchased it. Then he added some scenes with a few of his MGM performers, including a young Ava Gardner. But most of the main story remained intact. It's actually quite good. Carradine gives a chilling portrayal of a deranged German officer.

I've always liked John Carradine. Maybe he should be included in  'Performers who never get their own thread', in case he hasn't already.

• Like 1
Just now, Arsan404 said:

I've always liked John Carradine. Maybe he should be included in  'Performers who never get their own thread', in case he hasn't already.

Good idea. Yes, he could always be counted on to give a strong performance, even when his screen time was minimal. Though in HITLER'S MADMAN, he is playing the title character and has considerable time on screen.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

42, 46, and 49 are my favorite of the bunch. 50....always kind of 'meh' on it, even though I like Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson.

Thanks Beth. TCM certainly likes to broadcast #50.

I am curious if anyone's seen #48. It's never discussed anywhere. It is probably Michael Douglas' most obscure movie.

On 11/18/2019 at 6:00 PM, speedracer5 said:

I recognized Tyrone Power in the first film, but I haven't seen Jesse James.  I'll have to keep an eye out for that one. 

I've never heard of Dakota, Crazy Mama, or Wake in Fright.  

I like Ann Sothern and I like the title of "Crazy Mama," so I'll have to keep an eye out for this.

I'm in the same boat as you. These are the same five I've not seen. I'll have to give them a look.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

I am curious if anyone's seen #48. It's never discussed anywhere. It is probably Michael Douglas' most obscure movie.

I've seen RUNNING a few times.  I'd think either NAPOLEON AND SAMANTHA('72) or SUMMERTREE('71) would be considered more obscure.  Or even '69's HAIL HERO.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

Cheat Sheet:

41. THE STORY OF ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL (1939) with Henry Fonda & Don Ameche.

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 8.04.18 AM.jpeg

42. THE LETTER (1940) with Bette Davis.

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 7.35.27 PM.jpeg

43. DETOUR (1945) with Ann Savage & Tom Neal.

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 8.05.54 AM.jpeg

44. NEVER A DULL MOMENT (1950) with Fred MacMurray & Irene Dunne.

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 8.08.01 AM.jpeg

45. TAZA SON OF COCHISE (1954) with Rock Hudson.

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 8.12.35 AM.jpeg

46. SEVEN DAYS IN MAY (1964) with Burt Lancaster & Kirk Douglas.

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 8.15.01 AM.jpeg

47. THE STEPFORD WIVES (1975) with Katharine Ross.

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 8.17.31 AM.jpeg

48. RUNNING (1979) with Michael Douglas.

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 8.19.33 AM.jpeg

49.E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL (1982) with Henry Thomas.

screen.jpeg

50. THE REMAINS OF THE DAY (1993) with Emma Thompson & Anthony Hopkins.

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 8.24.43 AM.jpeg

1 minute ago, Sepiatone said:

I've seen RUNNING a few times.  I'd think either NAPOLEON AND SAMANTHA('72) or SUMMERTREE('71) would be considered more obscure.  Or even '69's HAIL HERO.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Thanks. Well, SUMMERTREE recently aired on TCM so it's become more visible. You may be right, though, about NAPOLEON AND SAMANTHA.

Did you like RUNNING?

• Like 1