Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Have you seen these 10 classic films..?

A lot of the stills look familiar, but as I recall by my own previous personal "rules", trying to figure them out through imdb was "cheating", so I won't do that here.

2011 is obviously a Marx brothers movie that I've probably seen, but I don't remember the title. Did they make one called The Big Top?

I'm absolutely sure I've seen at least part of 2012, but I can't identify the title (or the actress).

2016 is probably The Shoes of the Fisherman. I haven't seen it.

2017 I'm curious who the man on the left is. Harrison Ford? Warren Beatty? Kris Kristofferson? I don't know. I don't guess I've seen this movie.

2018 Sharkey's Machine?

2019 Memphis Belle is my guess.

Okay, I can't identify any of these with 100% certainty. Possibly I've seen zero all the way through.

• Like 1

I get terrible light in the room I'm staying in for the holidays in my brother's house. I looked at these movies again on my phone, and the pictures were much clearer. I'm pretty sure 2017 is The Parallax View, which I have seen, so I've at least seen one.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I get terrible light in the room I'm staying in for the holidays in my brother's house. I looked at these movies again on my phone, and the pictures were much clearer. I'm pretty sure 2017 is The Parallax View, which I have seen, so I've at least seen one.

You did well with your guesses!

• Thanks 1

2011. AT THE CIRCUS (1939) with Harpo Marx.

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 7.22.41 PM

2012. STORM OVER LISBON (1944) with Erich Von Stroheim & Vera Ralston.

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 1.04.11 PM

2013. EASY LIVING (1949) with Lizabeth Scott & Victor Mature.

screen

2014. MISTER SCOUTMASTER (1953) with Clifton Webb.

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 1.10.07 PM

2015. THE RAWHIDE YEARS (1956) with Tony Curtis.

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 1.12.05 PM

2016. THE SHOES OF THE FISHERMAN (1968) with Anthony Quinn.

F7D209BB-1722-465E-B5B1-99A939A2CB4A_4_5005_c

2017. THE PARALLAX VIEW (1974) with Warren Beatty & Hume Cronyn.

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 1.15.41 PM

2018. SHARKY’S MACHINE (1981) with Burt Reynolds & Rachel Ward.

screen

2019. MEMPHIS BELLE (1990) with Matthew Modine, Tate Donovan & D.B. Sweeney.

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 1.31.06 PM

2020. MRS.PALFREY AT THE CLAREMONT (2005) with Rupert Friend & Joan Plowright.

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 7.34.15 PM

Ha ha ha Rupert Friend! In the bad light of my temporary bedroom, I thought that was Mariel Hemmingway! 

Well, while I was accurate in some of my guesses, the only film on here I'm absolutely sure I've seen is The Parallax View. Probably I've seen the Marx Brothers movie, too, but I have zero memory of it if I have, so I'll call it a no. Just one for me.

• Like 1

Hope I'm not jumping on these too soon, but I may be occupied this morning, and I don't want to forget.

2021 must be the silent Ben-Hur. I've started it a couple of times on TCM but have never sat through the whole thing.

2024 is the '59 version of Ben-Hur. I'm torn how to answer this. I've probably caught pretty much the entire movie from repeated viewings over the years, but no, I have never sat down and watched all of it from beginning to end in one session. So, I'm going to say no.

2026 Last Tango in Paris. I rented it on VHS when I was a college student. The one and only time I've ever seen it. Yes.

2027 Boy, with these actors, you would think I would know what movie this is. This has got to be a movie from my adolescence or early adulthood. But I'm drawing a blank. Maybe it will hit me later in the day the way The Parallax View did yesterday.

2028 Fargo. Yes.

2029 The Hurt Locker. Yes.

2030 The new Ben-Hur adaptation from a few years ago. Strange to think of the three different versions, THIS is the only one I've seen from beginning to end! But pre-pandemic, I would just show up at movie theaters on the weekends, and whichever movie was starting next, I would usually go see. And this was one of those.

So, I know I've seen four of these.

• Like 1

2021. BEN HUR: A TALE OF THE CHRIST (1925) with Francis X. Bushman & Ramon Novarro.

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 2.09.09 PM

2022. WISE GIRL (1937) with Ray Milland & Miriam Hopkins.

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 2.15.19 PM

2023. HUDSON’S BAY (1941) with John Sutton, Paul Muni & Laird Cregar.

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 2.18.44 PM

2024. BEN-HUR (1959) with Charlton Heston.

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 2.10.28 PM

2025. ALVAREZ KELLY (1966) with William Holden & Richard Widmark.

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 2.26.35 PM

2026. LAST TANGO IN PARIS (1972) with Marlon Brando & Maria Schneider.

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 2.49.33 PM

2027. BRIGHT LIGHTS BIG CITY (1988) with Keifer Sutherland & Michael J. Fox.

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 2.54.16 PM

2028. FARGO (1996) with Frances McDormand.

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 2.28.32 PM

2029. THE HURT LOCKER (2008) with Guy Pearce.

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 2.24.42 PM

2030. BEN-HUR (2016) with Jack Huston.

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 2.13.07 PM

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Interesting. I wonder if others do that too.

Don't know. Haven't met anybody who's so determined to be "random" as I am. I think for most people, going to the movies is a reasonably well thought-out process. I just like seeing movies in theaters so much, I never particularly  cared WHAT the actual movie was. Hope my many-years-long hobby isn't going to disappear forever, but with Warner Bros. starting its theaters-and-streaming on the same day process and AMC maybe on the verge of shuttering, I'm not sure.

As for the movies, Bright Lights, Big City is a title I remember, but I haven't seen it. I never knew Keifer Sutherland was in it.

• Like 1

Did I just see notorious bomb "The Bonfire of the Vanities" listed as a classic?

I haven't seen it but I have read the fascinating book "The Devil's Candy" which is about the production.  A writer was granted behind-the-scenes access to the whole making of the movie, and the fact that the movie was a huge disaster just makes the book a lot more interesting.  For instance, the woefully miscast Melanie Griffith and Bruce Willis could have been Uma Thurman and John Cleese.

I may be dreaming, but I think there was a post on a thread this week by someone who said they really loved Bonfire, and I almost replied to it. I was assigned the novel in a college history class of all things, because the professor believed it perfectly encapsulated what was then America's current moment, even though it was fiction. So, I had some curiosity about the movie, which leaves out a ton and invents other stuff out of whole cloth, including a much-derided moralizing speech from Morgan Freeman. I can't recall a more recent movie taking such a collective butt-kicking from the critics and, well, pretty much everyone. And I do recall The Devil's Candy, also, though I don't think I ever read it.

On to the movies! I'm struggling with most of these.

2031 Looks like Mae West. It could be She Done Him Wrong, which I've seen, but I think that's the only movie of hers I've ever seen.

2033 Well, this is obviously a Francis the Talking Mule movie. TCM finally did show a couple of these within the last year or two, and I think I watched maybe half of the first one. But there probably aren't any I've seen all the way through.

2034 It's the Spencer Tracy-Gene Tierney Mayflower movie, I think, the title of which I'm not 100 per cent sure. I have started it on TCM on multiple occasions but just can't make it to the end.

2038 is indeed Bonfire of the Vanities. Yes.

2039 Rob Roy? I'm not sure if those are modern clothes or not from the tight view. I haven't seen it.

2040 is Miss Congeniality. I think I watched part of it in the days when I had multiple movie channels, but I probably haven't seen the whole thing.

So, only one I'm absolutely sure I've seen all of.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

And I do recall The Devil's Candy, also, though I don't think I ever read it.

It's a really great book, goes step-by-step through all the bad decisions.  Hanks being plainly too young and smooth-faced to play a part that he probably would have been much better at just five years later.  Uma Thurman hitting it out of the park at a rehearsal but the producers going with over-the-hill Melanie Griffith b/c they thought she'd be a bigger box office draw.

Also a time capsule of how Hollywood producing used to work (or in this case not work) before everything became superheroes and franchises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your "over the hill' reference sent me scurrying to imdb to see just how old Griffith was at the time. There's been a long history of ageism against actresses. I mean, she was only 32 or 33, depending when it was filmed. And she'd just been Oscar-nominated for Working Girl, so she was probably seen as being on a career upswing. Uma would have been about 19 or 20 at the time, though. It's a tough business for actresses. I'm not trying to preach. As a consumer, I tend to prefer the younger actresses as long as they're not so terrible at acting I can't stand to watch them. So I'm part of the problem.

2031. EVERY DAY’S A HOLIDAY (1937) with Mae West.

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 12.58.06 PM

2032. I JANE DOE (1948) with Ruth Hussey & Vera Ralston.

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 7.13.57 PM

2033. FRANCIS (1950) with Donald O’Connor & friend.

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 8.34.30 PM

2034. PLYMOUTH ADVENTURE (1952) with Gene Tierney & Spencer Tracy.

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 8.15.02 PM

2035. IL SORPASSO (1962) with Vittorio Gassman & Jean-Louis Trintignant.

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 8.24.07 PM

2036. JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR (1973) with Ted Neeley.

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 8.31.47 PM

2037. TRAGEDY OF A RIDICULOUS MAN (1981) with Anouk Aimee & Ugo Tognazzi.

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 8.44.25 PM 2

2038. THE BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES (1990) with Tom Hanks, Melanie Griffith & Bruce Willis.

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 8.39.21 PM

2039. THE CRUCIBLE (1996) with Wynona Ryder & Daniel Day-Lewis.

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 8.22.51 PM

2040. MISS CONGENIALITY (2000) with William Shatner & Sandra Bullock.

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 8.42.17 PM

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Interesting discussion about BONFIRE. Even a flop can be a classic.

It's easy to think of films that bombed at the box office but were critically redeemed, like, say, most every movie Orson Welles ever made.  Don't think there are many revisionist takes on "Bonfire of the Vanities".

4 minutes ago, Vidor said:

It's easy to think of films that bombed at the box office but were critically redeemed, like, say, most every movie Orson Welles ever made.  Don't think there are many revisionist takes on "Bonfire of the Vanities".

I don't think a flop has to be critically redeemed. It only has to be liked by the person watching it at the time. Maybe there are some decent scenes or standout moments, even in an otherwise weak film. 

It's too easy to say a film is a dud and dismiss it with a broad brushstroke. Almost every film has something that works (and something that doesn't work.)

4 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I don't think a flop has to be critically redeemed. It only has to be liked by the person watching it at the time. Maybe there are some decent scenes or standout moments, even in an otherwise weak film. 

It's too easy to say a film is a dud and dismiss it with a broad brushstroke. Almost every film has something that works (and something that doesn't work.)

That's a good point of discussion: Good Things In Bad Movies.  I'd start with Samuel L. Jackson getting eaten by a shark in "Deep Blue Sea".  That scene: great.  All the rest: forgettable ripoff of "Jaws" and "Jurassic Park".

• Like 1

Oh, The Crucible! I thought that was Liam Neeson for some reason. I've definitely watched part of that in my multi-movie channel days but probably not all of it. Jesus Christ Superstar probably should have been obvious to me. Haven't seen all of it, either. Looks like there's only I saw all the way through.

• Like 1

I am struggling to identify almost any of these, but I will take some guesses.

2043 Their faces are obscured, but it sure looks Tracy and Gable, so I think it's Test Pilot, which no doubt has aired on TCM at least a hundred times, but somehow I've never seen it. Hope this still isn't giving away a major plot point! I assume Tracy is either dead or gravely wounded and not expressing his platonic  love for Gable in a manner in a manner probably unacceptable for cinema in 1938.

2044 I'm just going to  take a wild guess and say The 400 Blows, which is on everybody's Top 10 list of all time, but once again, somehow I've never seen it.

2045 Looks like Ben Gazzara on the left and, I don't know, maybe William Holden on the right. I'm drawing a blank.

2047 Whoopi Goldberg briefly had a run as a leading lady after the success of Sister Act, but I gotta say most of those movies looked terrible, and I don't think I ever saw any of them.

2048 Oh, this is Passion Fish. Heard good things. Haven't seen it.

2049 It could be Flight 93. I didn't see it.

2050 The Revenant. This one I did see! 

At the moment, only one I can confirm I've seen. 

• Like 1

These movies are moving too fast for me.  Saw some of them.  Have no interest in seeing others (The Revenant - if I had to choose, would prefer Jeremiah Johnson).  Of the ones I've skimmed through, Parallax View,  Bright Lights.., Bonfire of the Vanities (would like to see again), Shoes of the Fisherman (excellent film), and one of the recent pictures looks like a young Richard Dreyfuss (Duddy Kravitz).  One looks like Rod Steiger playing W.C. Fields.  

• Thanks 1