Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MANK (2020) on Netflix, no MARION DAVIES on TCM

... and speaking of Marion Davies, the newly restored Little Old New York, her 1923 mega-hit is now available on DVD at Amazon, TCM Shop, etc. She spends most of the film masquerading as a boy. Great film boasts an Oscar-worthy performance by Davies in a superproduction set against 1807 New York. Restored from Davies' own personal print archived at the Library on Congress. Lively organ score by Ben Model.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

... and TCM is doing nothing to promote MARION DAVIES when MANK opens later this year.  Just heard from one of the programming people. I can't believe this film will not be mentioned or spotlighted by Ben Mankiewicz. Would have been a perfect time to make MARION DAVIES Star on the Month.....

Mank_poster.thumb.jpg.16e2bb9f851388b01b93daa31f770dac.jpg

• Like 1
  • UMO1982 changed the title to MANK (2020) on Netflix, no MARION DAVIES on TCM
30 minutes ago, Hibi said:

YEP. Still no SOTM after all these years......

Would have been a perfect opportunity to finally honor Davies. January is also her birthday month.  And all tied into this film, which look terrific in the trailers by the way. Plus Ben Mankiewicz is sitting right there on the set.  LOST OPPORTUNITY!

1 minute ago, UMO1982 said:

Would have been a perfect opportunity to finally honor Davies. January is also her birthday month.  And all tied into this film, which look terrific in the trailers by the way. Plus Ben Mankiewicz is sitting right there on the set.  LOST OPPORTUNITY!

Welles claimed the Susan Alexander Kane character was NOT based on Davies.     What POV does the film MANK take?  

Does Mank treat Davies "fairly"?    E.g. saying the Susan character was based on Davies is unfair to Davies IMO.

BUT since Davies and Hearst are major character in the film Mank,     I wonder how they (the producers) beefed up their parts IF they (the producers) took the POV that Susan was NOT based on Davies.

12 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

I've never been impressed with the TCM programmers.

I first posted this nearly ONE YEAR AGO.....

Comment back from a programmer today was that if they had thought of it in time it would have been a good idea. OH REALLY?  How much time to do you need?

Sorry, but this would have been a great opportunity to highlight MARION DAVIES and also WILLIAM RANDOLPH HEARST as a film producer.

That being said, I can't wait to see this film!

• Haha 1
29 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

I first posted this nearly ONE YEAR AGO.....

Comment back from a programmer today was that if they had thought of it in time it would have been a good idea. OH REALLY?  How much time to do you need?

Sorry, but this would have been a great opportunity to highlight MARION DAVIES and also WILLIAM RANDOLPH HEARST as a film producer.

That being said, I can't wait to see this film!

They've already published schedules through the end of the year, and likely recorded intros for most, if not all, of them as well, so I'd say 3-4 months, probably.

Mank's great uncle, I think that's the correct relationship, Herman, was often a guest of Hearst and

so knew both Hearst and Davies, so I'm guessing that at least some of Davies was incorporated into

his screenplay for Kane. If I recall correctly, Marion Davies also liked elaborate puzzles. The question

is who will play rosebud?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

An unknown named Sleddy Rosevelt.

Charrrgggeee.

Actually I was thinking of the original rosebud, which is another bit of info that Mankiewicz picked up 

from his acquaintance with Hearst. 

• Haha 1

"Mank" director David Fincher apparently is a longtime admirer of "Citizen Kane." The opening images of his 1989 Madonna video "Oh, Father" are modeled after the boyhood segment of Orson Welles' 1941 classic.

Boyhood [Citizen Kane, 1941] : Cinemagraphs

14 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

Charles Dance as William Randolph Hearst

Mank-Netflix-Movie-Preview-Trailer-Poster-Images-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-16.jpg.c852623a71410c7c1ad601cfdffc2d5b.jpg

It's interesting that you post the above photo...because I am at this very moment watching "Rainy Day Women," a BBC telefilm from 1984 that stars Charles Dance.

Herman Mankiewicz and Charles Lederer were friends and frequent guests at San Simeon. Lederer was the nephew of Marion Davies. Mank got lots of inside information and used it years later when he co-wrote CITIZEN KANE. Mank was banned from San Simeon for drunkenness and for being a bad influence on Davies (yes, she had a drinking problem). KANE was, in part, his revenge against Hearst. Upcoming film MANK (2020) may touch on this....

196193003_MANKLED.jpg.3b60f3b1fff3aa15c6b5eb1e1a8c4fc1.jpg

On 10/21/2020 at 4:10 PM, Vautrin said:

Mank's great uncle, I think that's the correct relationship, Herman, was often a guest of Hearst and

so knew both Hearst and Davies, so I'm guessing that at least some of Davies was incorporated into

his screenplay for Kane. If I recall correctly, Marion Davies also liked elaborate puzzles. The question

is who will play rosebud?

Herman Mankiewicz was Ben’s (and other people’s) grandfather. He died in 1953 before any of his grandchildren were born.