Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic World War 2 movies - chronologically

Just now, jamesjazzguitar said:

Looks like a bogus assumption based on the OP's reply.

I'm glad it was a bogus assumption...instead of an accurate surmising. It was a risk I took because for those of us who are feminists, well we see some of this as a battle call. And there's nothing wrong with us being this way. There's still a lot of work to be done when educating others about men and women in society. The organized religions are a big part of the problem, since they still push women into subservient or submissive non-valued roles.

21 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

The OP stated that they were trying to avoid any films with graphic (gruesome) violence, and/or salty language (notice their mention of an edited version of Patton), and I'm assuming other more mature subject matter (nudity, sexual situations beyond the most chaste).

The film list was intended for use as a curriculum supplement for home-schooling children on WWII.

???

WWII movies without gruesome violence?  Or, "family friendly" war movies?  And this is supposed to educate home schooled children?  

Maybe the OP should limit their list to:

BUCK PRIVATES('41)--w/Abbott and Costello   and--

IN THE NAVY('41) also w/Abbott and Costello.

Just when did Americans conceive this inane idea that shielding kids from certain facts was essential to their well rounded upbringing?  

And if this guy's looking for "family friendly", why was A GUY NAMED JOE('43) and COMMAND DECISION('48) not on his list? Neither of them contain any "gruesome" violence and of course, made when the "code" was still in effect, no foul language.  And both very good movies!  :)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

More thoughts on this.....( and an apology for hasty answering)....

It seems the OP is looking for chronological listing of WWII movies, particularly in that order as the war progressed from beginning to end.  I'm still confused as to the point of it all.  To educate?  Well, to educate about what?

Many movies made during the war which were about the war were pretty much in the realm of morale building propaganda on the homefront.  Now, if the idea is to educate about how Hollywood presented the war as it was being fought for purposes of teaching movie making history, then there's quite a healthy list to gather.  If it's facts that's being looked for, there too, are plenty of FRANK CAPRA and WILLIAM WELLMAN WWII documentaries available in several mediums for home viewing and/or educational purpose.  Most classic movies before, during and after the war are largely fictionalized accounts, or fictional stories of events or so that never happened, but were nontheless entertaining.  Especially after the war( Mr. Roberts; Heaven Knows,Mr. Allison).  It depends on the intent.  To show what the war was really like?  What the soldiers went through?  Or what the people at home endured?    Lot of choices regardless.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Forty-One said:

Forgive me, maybe I am blind, but I don't see anywhere someone mentioning "The Guns of Navarone" as a classic WWII movie. To me, it is! Great story, great acting, great suspens, great scenery, great sentiment, etc....

That is indeed a classic. With a cast like Gregory Peck, David Niven and Anthony Quinn, how could it not be?

• Like 1
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:47 PM, JeanneCrain said:

This Land is Mine 1943 (7.6)

Das Boot 1981 (8.3)

The Great Dictator 1940 (8.5)

Saving Private Ryan 1998 (8.6)

Sanctioning the mass murder of humans on an “industrial” scale is despicable – profiting through the “entertainment” of such exemplifies an unforgivable evil. 💔

Give me a break...how is it evil reminding the world of the horrors that took place in Europe during that time, especially since there are so many anti-semites out there screaming out that the Holocaust never happened.

Also I understand that Spielberg didn't take a dime for making SCHINDLER'S LIST, he made the film because he felt he had an obligation to the rememberance of what Oskar Schindler did and to the Jews who survived because of him as well as those who weren't so lucky to survive.

Doesn't sound at all evil to me.

• Thanks 2
41 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

That is indeed a classic. With a cast like Gregory Peck, David Niven and Anthony Quinn, how could it not be?

Exactly! And not to be forgotten: Richard Harris (albeit small role), Irene Papas, Stanley Baker, Anthony Quayle ("The Fall of the Roman Empire") and, finally, Walter Gotell who appears in most James Bond movies as a Russian agent.

• Like 1

Say, how about...

01c0c292735d1c641006c6f263eb918b.jpg

Nothin' like teachin' the young ones out there early on that all it took to wipe out an entire mountaintop fortified garrison of Germans is one Brit and one Yank working together as a team!

LOL

(...yeah yeah, sure this flick is a lot of fun alright, but it sure isn't based in either reality nor actual history)

• Like 1