Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

my thoughts on Jason and the Argonauts

tonite tcm is showing Jason and the Argonauts for the 2nd time since I lost tcm. I really on the whole doan like it but a few things occur that I enjoy. I get a kick outta the way pelias quickly loses patience with his seer and tells him to get to the point. then years later when jason saves him from drowning he really plays the guy. tells him that when his father's throne was usurped no one fought harder than him. ;) this is a real funny guy. then when mercury shows up I like his line "so you will believe". winds up on a olympian chess board and impresses the heck outta zeus. then some athletic fun with Hercules and other brawny guys.

and then they're off! on an island Hercules and his young sidekick have some difficulty securing some goats for the pot. I really getta kick out of how Hercules energizes himself with hyperventilating into his hands inside the base of Talos who then wrecks the argos and honor blackman whispers to todd armstrong. then it's off to find phineas the blinded man. I love how phineas faults zeus for being so unreasonable with the punishment with the harpies.

with jason's help he can finally enjoy some bowls of delicious fruit. up later pops neptune and I always wonder if he needs right guard submerged all the time in the brine. then castor beats them to kulkis to turn the king against them. jason dispatches the hydra and then the king of kulkis shows us how to grasp teeth out of a bowl.

about skeleton time that is about it for me and this turkey.

according to greek mythology medea would later murder her and jason's children so the hell with nancy kovack.

also enjoy bernard herrmann's brassy opening music.

• Like 1

Me and a few buddies went to see it when it came out( we were all 12 at the time) and we didn't think anything about the effects were "ahead of their time", in fact, they were a lot like what we've seen for so much before.  But they were cool nonetheless. Plus, at 12, we didn't know much nor care about Greek Mythology and really didn't go to the show to see it and sit in judgement.  I usually(given the chance) look in on it for the nostalgia factor, not because I think it's cinematic "art" or any presumptuous crap like that.  Plus, back then when our hormones were starting to try and take control, NANCY KOVACK and  HONOR BLACKMAN were as much fun to watch as Harryhausen's creatures!  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Me and a few buddies went to see it when it came out( we were all 12 at the time) and we didn't think anything about the effects were "ahead of their time", in fact, they were a lot like what we've seen for so much before.  But they were cool nonetheless. Plus, at 12, we didn't know much nor care about Greek Mythology and really didn't go to the show to see it and sit in judgement.  I usually(given the chance) look in on it for the nostalgia factor, not because I think it's cinematic "art" or any presumptuous crap like that.  Plus, back then when our hormones were starting to try and take control, NANCY KOVACK and  HONOR BLACKMAN were as much fun to watch as Harryhausen's creatures!  ;) 

Sepiatone

LOL

Oh yeah, Sepia! After watching this movie at just about the same as you, I too remember being taken with Nancy Kovack in particular quite a lot.

(...and also recall wondering at the time if she might be related at all to a particular mustachioed and cigar-loving comedian who had then recently died in a car accident...spelling wasn't my strong suit back then, ya know) ;) 

• Haha 2
Just now, LawrenceA said:

Your name is Dargo Argo?!?

LOL

No, but close Lawrence. And I don't have a sister named "Margo Argo" either. ;)

The "D" in my nom de plume around here is my first initial tacked onto the front of my actual surname.

(...Dwight being my given name)

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Dargo said:

LOL

No, but close Lawrence. And I don't have a sister named "Margo Argo" either. ;)

The "D" in my nom de plume around here is my first initial tacked onto the front of my actual surname.

(...Dwight being my given name)

Dwight Argo is a cool name. You could be a gunslinger, or a secret agent.

Or even a European superhero!

superargo_and_the_faceless_giants_1968.j

• Haha 3
36 minutes ago, hamradio said:

If he's a Superman, what's the need a ray gun? :huh::wacko::lol:

'Cause he's a superARGO, not a "superman", ham!

You see, we Argos, both the mortal kind AND of the super variety, are noted for using BOTH our brawn AND our brains when called upon to do so.

I mean, if one is smart enough to invent and manufacture a ray gun, then why not ALSO be smart enough to pack it around, 'cause it might just come in handy sometimes and save ya a whole lot of physical exertion when ya might run into a supervillain or two along the way, right?!

(...jus' sayin')

;)

21 hours ago, Dargo said:

OH, and one more thing I recall at the time. And that being that I thought it was pretty cool that Jason named his ship the very same name as my family's surname.

:o

WOW!  I grew up seeing your family's name in our laundry room;)  Y'all must be worth a FORTUNE!  :D 

Sepiatone

11 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

:o

WOW!  I grew up seeing your family's name in our laundry room;)  Y'all must be worth a FORTUNE!  :D 

Sepiatone

LOL

Yeah, I wish!

Yep, while growing up, the name "Argo" sure seemed to most often bring to the mind of others this brand of corn starch, and which was and maybe still is quite often stored in many American households, alright.

One of my first classic movie loves! Was a sophomore in college (literally just two years ago) when I realized my love of Ray Harryhausen’s work. While I personally prefer The 7th Voyage Of Sinbad, I still find myself going back to this one! Great movie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1