Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TomJH

Those Endless Film Closing Credits That Go On . . . And On . . . And On . . .

Almost never watch the closing credits unless I particularly wish to identify a cast member.  Lately I have just gone to ImDB or Wiki to find it.

Not only is the type too small to read, but many speed through the credits so no one can read them.  As for the size, I have often wondered why they do that knowing full well that many (most?) people will view the movie on a TV screen.

When possible I also fast forward through the opening credits unless there is actually something germane to the movie.  Especially the multiple production companies or producers involved.  I watched one movie where they had 15 producers.

On 11/30/2019 at 10:42 AM, TomJH said:

Someone wrote in The Irishman thread that the closing credits for that film last 15 minutes. 15 MINUTES!

Just returning from a five-day excursion to see my parents. They have Netflix, and I watched The Irishman. I would like to state the closing credits are "only" 10 1/2 minutes, which isn't great, but they're not 15. 

46 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Just returning from a five-day excursion to see my parents. They have Netflix, and I watched The Irishman. I would like to state the closing credits are "only" 10 1/2 minutes, which isn't great, but they're not 15. 

Well, that's something. 4 1/2 minutes less to be wasted when I see The Irishman. It looks like you're one of those poor wretches like myself, sewhite, who sticks out those endless credits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

99% of the time that's correct, but I didn't in this case. I just hit pause when the credits were starting, and on Netflix, you can see how much time is remaining.

Typically, I like to see the music credits, which unfortunately are usually the very last thing shown in closing credits. And I would have liked to see what some of those songs were in The Irishman, but I was too sleepy to wait for them! (And fast-forwarding or rewinding is sometimes problematic on Netflix as the streaming service has to reload when you do that).

16 hours ago, TheCid said:

When possible I also fast forward through the opening credits ..."

Agree, long opening credits are aggravating. Closing credits are no problem at all. Just turn it off. The movie is over. Usually. In rare instances there is something significant embedded there, like "Cache", for instance. But I'll take my chances. "Citizen Kane" dispenses with openers altogether, except for the title.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2019 at 3:12 PM, Dargo said:

and yeah, the ones which include out-takes or some added footage are usually worth staying for, and like the one I recently saw during the ending credit role of Tarantino's Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood which included a clever little sendup of a 1960's television cigarette commercial starring Leonardo DiCaprio's character Rick Dalton)

I check out the cast list and then get up and leave. I was on my way out when DiCaprio came on again so I had to stop in my tracks.

The recent Stan And Ollie has some great photos of the real team during the credits. When it was shown on cable the other night, (I think it was on STARZ?), they minimized the screen to show a promo for  another show so you couldn't see it. 

Some opening credits got long for a while.  Back in the '70's, SUPERMAN ('78) had some long opening credits, and when I was a kid, it seemed Disney's 101 DALMATIANS' opening credits took up a lot of time.  And for a while it took a long time for the TITLE of a movie to be shown!  I'm thinking mostly the '80's

Sepiatone

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Some opening credits got long for a while.  Back in the '70's, SUPERMAN ('78) had some long opening credits, and when I was a kid, it seemed Disney's 101 DALMATIANS' opening credits took up a lot of time.  And for a while it took a long time for the TITLE of a movie to be shown!  I'm thinking mostly the '80's

Sepiatone

I think one of the records for a pretitle sequence was on the 1999 James Bond film, The World is Not Enough. The credits appeared 16 minutes in.

And then there was the 2012 Les Miserables, where I sat in the theatre waiting for the title to flash on screen. They saved it for the end credits, almost 150 minutes after the start!

My pet peeve on closing credits: Lists of "production babies" -- births by apparently anyone who took a phone call connected with the film.