Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

my review of Rough Night in Jericho (1967)

I won't waste time on the story details like I usually do since I assume most of you have seen this. tried to watch it once before but lost interest but last nite gave it a whirl. dean martin imo was miscast as someone else like say john saxon or steve ihnat woulda been better. martin is too suave and urbane for this. one plothole to me is why flood ambushes the stage wagon which is never explained and why didn't he simply have some of his jericho killer scum do it? was he worried about dolan coming to his town? and he surely knew of Hickman's rep. twice in the course of the film it is alluded to that flood does things like an indian which too is never elaborated on.

it was somewhat enjoyable watching it and jean simmons is much more hotter and friskier than she was in The Big Country. as the film progressed I found myself thinking what is Flood's weakness or achilles heel if he has one. a former good lawman gone bad or was he starting to go bad when he initially was hired by the townspeople to clean up jericho?

and how did he become acquanted with so many killers in the first place having once been a competent lawman?

but the big question is how do dolan and hickman go about taking on flood who has a band of killers to back him up not to mention flood **** trouble in the bud by hanging whomever he pleases.

that's when the film gets fun. dolan, hickman, jace and company shrewdly and systematically attack flood's holdings, north, south, east and west.
that's how to do it. one thing that the film coulda used. jean simmons rushing upstairs after that blonde saloon bimbo tries to warn flood he's riding into a trap. she shoulda de-haired the blonde by pulling every strand of hair out by the roots. let her try and impress mr. flood with a bald head.

after the cat and mouse climax a dying flood with a knife in his chest courtesy of the heroic dolan simply advises him to never settle for less than 51%.

flood's humor is lacking even as he croaks. one must agree that it was crap like this that helped to kill westerns.

8 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Never heard of it.

stars dean martin, george peppard, john mcintire, and jean simmons directed by arnold laven.

Seen it too. My review from awhile ago..

Another good example of why the world was ripe for the Spaghetti Western onslaught. This Western put me to sleep on more that one occasion. It is a Dvix so I can't return to a chapter stop and must re-watch it to the sleep drop off point every time I lost conscience. It has a good cast, Dean Martin, George Peppard, Jean Simmons, John McIntire, Slim Pickens but it is mostly town bound it plays like an overly long TV Western that isn't all that interesting. Martin plays a bad town boss but not that effectively, he's much better playing that type of nasty character in "Some Came Running" which is probably the best of the "rat pack" films that I've seen. Check that film out for Shirley McClaine's great perfrmance.

The rest of the cast does adequately with the material that they have which isn't much.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

George Peppard...ugh. Does he get hit by a train? If not, then no thanks.

LOL

Sounds as if you feel the same way about Peppard as Tom up there in Canada feels about that British actor who spelled your name, ahem, I mean HIS name in that unusual sort'a way, Lawrence!

22 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

George Peppard...ugh. Does he get hit by a train? If not, then no thanks.

I was watching re-runs of Password Plus and Peppard was on.    I assume the reason was because the network that carried the show also carried Banacek (most of the guest players were associated with shows the network featured).

Well George was a real pain-in-the-A.    I was shocked they didn't edit his rant out (well I assume they did to some degree):   He complained about how the game-was-played and implied it might be "staged" to some degree.   At first I felt he must be joking,,,,  but he wasn't,,,.     

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I was watching re-runs of Password Plus and Peppard was on.    I assume the reason was because the network that carried the show also carried Banacek (most of the guest players were associated with shows the network featured).

Well George was a real pain-in-the-A.    I was shocked they didn't edit his rant out (well I assume they did to some degree):   He complained about how the game-was-played and implied it might be "staged" to some degree.   At first I felt he must be joking,,,,  but he wasn't,,,.     

I never saw more than a couple of minutes of Banacek, although I know people that liked it. I watched a few episodes of The A-Team and thought it was terrible.

I didn't actively dislike Peppard for a long time, I just thought he was bland and uninteresting, and whenever I'd see him in something, I always thought the film would have been better with someone else cast in his role. Later his smugness began to be very off-putting, and when I read several stories of how much of a jerk he was to nearly everyone else around him, I disliked him more, despite normally trying to separate on and off-screen personas.

He's one of a small handful of performers whose work I'll avoid.

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I never saw more than a couple of minutes of Banacek, although I know people that liked it. I watched a few episodes of The A-Team and thought it was terrible.

I didn't actively dislike Peppard for a long time, I just thought he was bland and uninteresting, and whenever I'd see him in something, I always thought the film would have been better with someone else cast in his role. Later his smugness began to be very off-putting, and when I read several stories of how much of a jerk he was to nearly everyone else around him, I disliked him more, despite normally trying to separate on and off-screen personas.

He's one of a small handful of performers whose work I'll avoid.

he's kinda like James garner only more uninteresting.

:lol: