Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Luckyforward

No Christmas in Connecticut on TCM

3 hours ago, Luckyforward said:

Has anyone noticed that "Christmas in Connecticut" is not on TCM this year?

This also happened in December 2012. It was particularly noteworthy that time, because Barbara Stanwyck was Star of the Month...so you think it most definitely would have been scheduled.

Personally, I would be happy if they had fewer or zero versions of A Christmas Carol and no Shop Around the Corner/Good Old Summertime double feature some year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Personally, I would be happy if they had fewer or zero versions of A Christmas Carol and no Shop Around the Corner/Good Old Summertime double feature some year.

If I see another version of A Christmas Carol, it'll be too soon.  

The Muppets Christmas Carol was my favorite version of this story, and I'm even tired of that one.

I am so sick of Scrooge and his ghosts.

• Like 1

You're just the opposite of Leonard Maltin, who declared tonight he loved all versions, including the Muppet version and the Mr. Magoo version.

I tolerated Scrooge (original title, I believe, though TCM refuses to call it that) tonight, often heralded as the best version, and while TCM shows it less frequently than some of the others, I've still seen it too many times.

12 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

The Muppets Christmas Carol was my favorite version of this story, and I'm even tired of that one.

I've grown to detest A Christmas Carol in all of its incarnations, as well.

• Like 3

I do love the Muppet version.  I cannot recall the Mr. Magoo version, but I've probably seen that one too.  I've also seen the Flintstones version.

I am just so sick of the whole story.  It's probably because it's been remade so many different times and parodied on countless TV shows.  It just feels like a cliche at this point because it has been done so many times.

Give me the Grinch (Boris Karloff one) any day of the week.

8 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

One of my favorite versions of A CHRISTMAS CAROL (and I am serious) is EBBIE starring Susan Lucci as Ebbie Scrooge and set in (I presume) 1995.  Taran Noah Smith (Mark Taylor from HOME IMPROVEMENT) is a bit annoying as Tiny Tim though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

It is disappointing that "Christmas in Connecticut" isn't in the December lineup this year, but I'm going on two months without television, so I would have probably missed it anyway.  I'm currently watching TCM on Hulu during the one-week free trial period.  I just concluded watching some programs on YouTube tv's two-week free trial time frame.  I think I like the layout and navigation of YouTube better than Hulu, but I'm still exploring options.  Frankly, I'm getting used to the idea of not watching television at all.  Sure, I miss a lot of sports programming, which I love, as well as PBS, TCM, and local news for the weather forecasts, but the internet compensates for that lack.  Besides, I'm saving a truck load of money by not having television, and in my financial situation now, that's a very compelling reason to keep it out of my budget.  Things will be improving for me within a year or so, then I'll take stock in what to do, unless of course, I cave in to my old self that was conditioned to turning on the television set first thing just about every morning.

I understand the weariness of some posters here about the Dickens adaptation of "A Christmas Carol" and all its machinations on TCM, but honestly, Alastair Sim is reason enough to watch "Scrooge".  The guy was a consummate actor who could play just about any role thrown at him.  Also, the guy who played Marley's Ghost (Michael Hordern) was brilliant as the specter.  Other than Sim, the only other players I recognized were people I watched on series television (Patrick Macnee as John Steed in 'The Avengers' and Hermione Baddeley as Mrs. Naugatuck in 'Maude').  For as shopworn as "The Shop Around The Corner", "The Good Old Summertime", and "A Christmas Carol" seem, all I can say is sure beats the heck out of a Lifetime or Hallmark holiday movie that more often than not will test anyone's intestinal fortitude.  If I wanted sweet, sticky sentiment like that, I'd eat a bag of C & H Sugar and wash it down with a bottle of Vermont or Quebec maple syrup!

Yesterday I watched "A Christmas in Vermont" on ION Television.  Sort of a poor man's Hallmark Christmas movie.

A hardboiled New York City MBA travels to Vermont right before Christmas to shut down a clothing company as ordered by her boss (Chevy Chase.)  She initially hates the company's boss, finds a change of heart (and romance) and decides to ditch her life, work and miserable New York boyfriend for a life in Vermont (or Connecticut.)

51sNzOE36yL._AC_SY400_.jpg.9c5243ddecd6e75bc83136f4c9c9df04.jpg

And then there's that holiday season perennial I'd really like TCM to show this year...

Hanukkah in New Hampshire

(...you'll especially love the part where Barbra Streisand loses her dreidel after it spins off the table, hits her head while retrieving it, and then beings to have ghostly visions of what her life would have been like if Fanny Brice had never been born)

• Haha 3

Never one of my favorites, I don't mind missing CIC one more time.  :D  But in 52 years( since my first viewing) I've never tired of '51's SCROOGE/A CHRISTMAS CAROL.  I have two copies(one VHS, one DVD) but tuned in last  night anyway. 

We each have our favorites, and if CIC is someone's favorite, it's fine.  Same with THE BISHOP'S WIFE, which I really never(for some reason) considered a Christmas movie.  But there are some who consider it quintessential. I AM tired of one thing about the '51 A CHRISTMAS CAROL........

Anytime(and last night was no exception) two or more "experts" talk about it, they go on about how great a Scrooge ALISTAIR SIM is(wich I do agree on).  And the writing, other cast member's performances.  But, to me,  what also forms my opinion that it's the best version is....

The combination of  accuracy in set design and excellence in cinematography.  C.M. PENNINGTON-RICHARDS proved a match for both GREGG TOLAND and JAMES WONG HOWE on this one.   

We've discussed Christmas movies a lot over the years here, and some that are favorites of some were movies I haven't at that time seen yet, but making it a point on their recommendation they too have been added to my list.  ;)   and SPEEDRACER------

Are you as dismayed at the fact an entire generation considers the JIM CARREY  "Grinch" to be the best of THAT story?  :wacko:

Oh, and as I usually only watch Christmas movie fare DURING the Christmas season, Getting tired of any version of any movie(if it's a version I like) isn't possible. 

Sepiatone

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dargo said:

And then there's that holiday season perennial I'd really like TCM to show this year...

Hanukkah in New Hampshire

(...you'll especially love the part where Barbra Streisand loses her dreidel after it spins off the table, hits her head while retrieving it, and then beings to have visions of what her life would have been like if Fanny Brice had never been born)

Sure.  But....

Is she celebrating HANUKKAH, or CHANUKAH(or Chanukkah--- I never got the various spelling thing)?  ;) 

Chanukah is the Jewish eight-day, wintertime “festival of lights,” celebrated with a nightly menorah lighting, special prayers and fried foods.

The Hebrew word Chanukah means “dedication,” and is thus named because it celebrates the rededication of the Holy Temple (as you’ll read below). Also spelled Hanukkah (or variations of that spelling), the Hebrew word is actually pronounced with a guttural, “kh” sound, kha-nu-kah, not tcha-new-kah.

14 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I've grown to detest A Christmas Carol in all of its incarnations, as well.

My wife watches the "classic"  A Christmas Carols and Alistair Sim is her favorite.  We will compromise and watch the George C. Scott one, but I could pass on it.  We have the classic ones and George C. Scott on DVD.

I understand there is a new version premiering Dec. 19th?

We have most of the old/classic Christmas movies on DVD and Christmas in Connecticut is one of them.  Watch it every year.  Along with some of the more recent ones.  Can't understand why TCM doesn't show CIC every year.

3 hours ago, midwestan said:

.....I understand the weariness of some posters here about the Dickens adaptation of "A Christmas Carol" and all its machinations on TCM, but honestly, Alastair Sim is reason enough to watch "Scrooge".  The guy was a consummate actor who could play just about any role thrown at him.  Also, the guy who played Marley's Ghost (Michael Hordern) was brilliant as the specter.  Other than Sim, the only other players I recognized were people I watched on series television (Patrick Macnee as John Steed in 'The Avengers' and Hermione Baddeley as Mrs. Naugatuck in 'Maude').  For as shopworn as "The Shop Around The Corner", "The Good Old Summertime", and "A Christmas Carol" seem, all I can say is sure beats the heck out of a Lifetime or Hallmark holiday movie that more often than not will test anyone's intestinal fortitude.  If I wanted sweet, sticky sentiment like that, I'd eat a bag of C & H Sugar and wash it down with a bottle of Vermont or Quebec maple syrup!

midwestan, forgive me for being picayune, but I cannot resist the urge to correct you, even though we all know what you meant. What am I talking about?  The part of your post where you say, "the Dickens adaptation of "A Christmas Carol"  ". I know, I know, you meant, the film adaptation of Dickens' A Christmas Carol, and I am a crank to point it out. But still, all versions of "Scrooge" or "A Christmas Carol", or whatever you want to call it ( and it goes by many names) are of course based on the original novella by Charles Dickens. 

By the way, a very enjoyable and Christmassy movie came out a few years ago, probably not too historically accurate but very interesting and pleasant: The Man Who Invented Christmas. It stars Dan Stevens (he of "Downton Abbey" fame) as a young(ish) Dickens, trying to deal with memories of his childhood as a factory worker, and Christopher Plummer as Scrooge. Just looked it up - it came out in 2017. I recommend it for anyone looking for a Christmas movie that's "heart-warming" (as Christmas movies should be) but also a bit disturbing in parts. Definitely entertaining.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I tolerated Scrooge (original title, I believe, though TCM refuses to call it that) tonight, often heralded as the best version, and while TCM shows it less frequently than some of the others, I've still seen it too many times.

Yes, Scrooge is the original British title for the movie starring Alastair Sim.

The version I've seen on TCM has the title as Scrooge in the opening credits, but TCM always seem to list it as A Christmas Carol on their schedule.

4 hours ago, midwestan said:

It is disappointing that "Christmas in Connecticut" isn't in the December lineup this year, but I'm going on two months without television, so I would have probably missed it anyway.  I'm currently watching TCM on Hulu during the one-week free trial period.  I just concluded watching some programs on YouTube tv's two-week free trial time frame.  I think I like the layout and navigation of YouTube better than Hulu, but I'm still exploring options.  Frankly, I'm getting used to the idea of not watching television at all.  Sure, I miss a lot of sports programming, which I love, as well as PBS, TCM, and local news for the weather forecasts, but the internet compensates for that lack.  Besides, I'm saving a truck load of money by not having television, and in my financial situation now, that's a very compelling reason to keep it out of my budget.  Things will be improving for me within a year or so, then I'll take stock in what to do, unless of course, I cave in to my old self that was conditioned to turning on the television set first thing just about every morning.

I understand the weariness of some posters here about the Dickens adaptation of "A Christmas Carol" and all its machinations on TCM, but honestly, Alastair Sim is reason enough to watch "Scrooge".  The guy was a consummate actor who could play just about any role thrown at him.  Also, the guy who played Marley's Ghost (Michael Hordern) was brilliant as the specter.  Other than Sim, the only other players I recognized were people I watched on series television (Patrick Macnee as John Steed in 'The Avengers' and Hermione Baddeley as Mrs. Naugatuck in 'Maude').  For as shopworn as "The Shop Around The Corner", "The Good Old Summertime", and "A Christmas Carol" seem, all I can say is sure beats the heck out of a Lifetime or Hallmark holiday movie that more often than not will test anyone's intestinal fortitude.  If I wanted sweet, sticky sentiment like that, I'd eat a bag of C & H Sugar and wash it down with a bottle of Vermont or Quebec maple syrup!

The 1951 version also has a remarkable original score by Richard Addinsell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I just watched the TCM preview of upcoming Christmas movies that follows  Career Girls, and Christmas in Connecticut was definitely included. 

J'adore STANWYCK and SYDNEY GREENSTREET and I have no problems with DENNIS MORGAN, but CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT does not ONE thing for me.

And I always roll my eyes at the bit about "the ole Magoo."

However, I am THRILLED to see that this TCM DEBUT from last year is encoring DECEMBER 8TH:

10:15 PM

drama
Holly and the Ivy, The (1952)
  • Like 1

Crickets.

So, in case anyone missed it, I'll just let y'all know again about a really good and fairly recent Christmas movie. It came out just a couple of years ago, so it's probably fresh, new, and unseen by a lot of people out there. It's about how Charles Dickens came to write A Christmas Carol  (which is the actual title of his novella, the excellent 1951film version titled "Scrooge" notwithstanding). It's by turns funny, scary, sad, and of course, heart-warming. (In a good way.) It's called "The Man Who Invented Christmas".

Just in case anyone's interested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I liked "The Holly and The Ivy" when it was shown on TCM in 2018.  Shame I'll miss it this year (my free Hulu trial runs out on the 7th).  Maybe I can find it somewhere else in cyberspace.

• Like 1

tumblr_ldce14GFKC1qbz270o1_500.gif

"Dear Father in Heaven. I'm not a praying man, but if you're up there and you can hear me, please have TCM show my favorite Christmas movie this year...Miracle on 34th Street." 

(...fooled ya for a second there didn't I, folks) ;)

• Haha 3

Oh, and btw folks...

Yeah yeah, I know TCM has been unable to get the rights to show both George's favorite Christmas movie up there AND the one he's in for years now.

(...but five'll get ya ten we'll still have at least three newbies who'll come on here this month and ask why TCM isn't showing 'em...any takers?) 

• Haha 1