Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stephen444

Theme this morning, Sudden death?

Saragtoga and Brainstorm both feature actresses that did not live to finish production of the their last movies.  I don't know about the other titles today except Giant that was James Dean's last film.  Maybe just a coincidence.  

James Dean didn’t finish “Giant.”

”Two-Faced Woman” was on earlier with Greta Garbo. That was her last film. I see “To Be or Not to Be” is on later. That was Carole Lombard’s last film, but I think she finished it. 

9 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

James Dean didn’t finish “Giant.”

That's news to me.  I can't  think of any part of the film that he is missing from.  I always heard that he had a line in his contract that he could not race as long as he was in production.

1 minute ago, Stephen444 said:

That's news to me.  I can't  think of any part of the film that he is missing from.  I always heard that he had a line in his contract that he could not race as long as he was in production.

I’m pretty sure that I read somewhere that some of his lines were dubbed. Perhaps he finished production but died before post-production. 

I was thinking that maybe the theme was actors whose careers ended at their peak (whether by their own choice or not). 

2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I’m pretty sure that I read somewhere that some of his lines were dubbed. Perhaps he finished production but died before post-production. 

That's certainly possible.  I guess he died not long after production ended but that may well be true about the need to dub something in post production.  I had never heard that.

2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I was thinking that maybe the theme was actors whose careers ended at their peak (whether by their own choice or not). 

Garbo.  She certainly had the option to make more movies but chose not to.  

The official theme for this morning is simply titled "Final Films", so the actors may or may not have passed away during filming.  The lineup is:

Two-Faced Woman (1941) (Greta Garbo)
Saratoga (1937) (Jean Harlow)
Brainstorm (1983) (Natalie Wood)
Key to the City (1950) (Frank Morgan)
To Be or Not to Be (1942) (Carole Lombard)
Giant (1956) (James Dean)

Some trivia:  The 4th item in the list was originally scheduled to be the Montgomery Clift final film The Defector (1966), but for some reason that was replaced with Key to the City.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well, I'll have to put in more thought, but MICHAEL JEETER died shortly before both OPEN RANGE and POLAR EXPRESS were released.  

And BRIAN KEITH died less than a month before the release of the TV mini-series ROUGH RIDERS.

Sepiatone

According to Ferber: A Biography by Julie Goldsmith Gilbert (Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1978

Dean never completed his work in Giant. His scenes on camera were in the can, but since one in particular was inaudible, he was scheduled to come back for looping — a postproduction technique that involves dubbing in clarified dialogue to match the picture. Dean was not available to do this for one of his key scenes [because he was killed before he could come back for looping]. It was the banquet speech, where Jett Rink was supposed to be just at the edge of falling down drunk; Dean took it to heart, and although visually he was splendid, he fell down verbally. George Stevens and William Hornbeck, the film editor, recruited Dean's former roommate and best friend, a young actor named Nick Adams, to complete the vocal role of Jett Rink. Adams, by stuffing his cheeks with wads of gum, assimilated a clearer version of Dean's slur. The result of the necessary trick was perfect, went completely undetected, and, in fact, the scene was cited as one of Dean's best. Eerily, Nick Adams died several years later in the same self-destructive way as his friend, Dean. That tiny portion of film is known as the late looping.
  • Thanks 3

Oliver Reed passed away during the filming of GLADIATOR (I read that....SPOILER warning....Proximo was originally supposed to live by the end of the film and give the eulogy for Maximus after Maximus dies in the arena.

But Reed's untimely death changed that. Near the end of the film, it is Gracchus (Derek Jacobi) who leads the men to carry away Maximus' body.

2 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

According to Ferber: A Biography by Julie Goldsmith Gilbert (Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1978

Dean never completed his work in Giant. His scenes on camera were in the can, but since one in particular was inaudible, he was scheduled to come back for looping — a postproduction technique that involves dubbing in clarified dialogue to match the picture. Dean was not available to do this for one of his key scenes [because he was killed before he could come back for looping]. It was the banquet speech, where Jett Rink was supposed to be just at the edge of falling down drunk; Dean took it to heart, and although visually he was splendid, he fell down verbally. George Stevens and William Hornbeck, the film editor, recruited Dean's former roommate and best friend, a young actor named Nick Adams, to complete the vocal role of Jett Rink. Adams, by stuffing his cheeks with wads of gum, assimilated a clearer version of Dean's slur. The result of the necessary trick was perfect, went completely undetected, and, in fact, the scene was cited as one of Dean's best. Eerily, Nick Adams died several years later in the same self-destructive way as his friend, Dean. That tiny portion of film is known as the late looping.

I'm not so sure that this particular sentence is either factual nor well put.

Nick Adams died of a self-induced drug overdose, and apparently because of his floundering acting career.

On the other hand, James Dean, as we know, died while driving his newly purchased Porsche 550 Spyder upon a central California public highway in order to race it at a track near Monterey. Reports are that if he had been speeding at the time of his collision with another driver who made a sudden left turn in front of him, it wasn't by all that much over the posted speed limit.

(...and so, UNLESS one considers the idea of auto racing and/or being a victim of a highway fatality as being "self-destructive", then the idea of their respective deaths at a fairly young age being of similar circumstance would be a falsely put statement)

• Thanks 1

Greta Garbo doesn't quite fit the sudden death theme, but it was her final film. She lived for 49 more years.

Other people who died around the time their last film(s) were done include:

Robert Donat: The Inn of the Sixth Happiness

Alan Ladd: The Carpetbaggers

Jill Clayburgh: Love and Other Drugs and Bridesmaids

• Thanks 1