Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
David Guercio

Which Christmas Movie Is That?

I’m sure you all have seen the Christmas movie Deck The Halls with Danny Devito and Matthew Broderick.  Very funny Christmas movie.  In the scene where Matthew Broderick is sad and all alone.  Which Christmas movie is he watching?  Is that Meet Me In S.T.  Louise with Judy Garland or which Christmas movie is that?

On 12/3/2019 at 4:38 PM, David Guercio said:

I’m sure you all have seen the Christmas movie Deck The Halls with Danny Devito and Matthew Broderick.  Very funny Christmas movie.  In the scene where Matthew Broderick is sad and all alone.  Which Christmas movie is he watching?  Is that Meet Me In S.T.  Louise with Judy Garland or which Christmas movie is that?

You are correct. Broderick's character is watching the scene from "Meet Me in St. Louis" in which Tootie Smith (Margaret O'Brien) begins destroying snowmen in the yard after learning her family will move to New York. Her older sister Esther (Garland) tries to comfort her.

See the source image

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, David Guercio said:

I’m sure you all have seen the Christmas movie Deck The Halls with Danny Devito and Matthew Broderick. 

Others, however, might harbor doubts.

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Others, however, might harbor doubts.

I watched it for the two Kristins -- Davis and Chenoweth.

See the source image

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David Guercio said:

One is a great Christmas movie, and one is sooooooo bad.

10 hours ago, filmnoirguy said:

I still liked the Kristins. By the way, Davis stars with Rob Lowe in a new Netflix holiday movie -- "Christmas in the Wild."

See the source image

14 hours ago, filmnoirguy said:

Hint:  Which one do people still remember fifty years later, as opposed to a year later on video?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

Hint:  Which one do people still remember fifty years later, as opposed to a year later on video?

Well, maybe someone will get awards recognition for playing Kristin Davis in a 2069 movie about the making of "Sex and the City."

See the source image

12 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Well, maybe someone will get awards recognition for playing Kristin Davis in a 2069 movie about "Sex and the City."

Eww.  Please take that bad Photoshop picture away.  😓

5 hours ago, EricJ said:

Eww.  Please take that bad Photoshop picture away.  😓

These women look like they were all photographed separately (all with a wind machine for whatever reason) and then put together in the same picture.

21 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

These women look like they were all photographed separately (all with a wind machine for whatever reason) and then put together in the same picture.

Naturally. They didn't all get along all the time. That's one of the reasons why there was no third "Sex and the City" feature film.

Just now, jakeem said:

Naturally. They didn't all get along all the time. That's one of the reasons why there was no third "Sex and the City" feature film.

Thank goodness.

Though I never watched the show or any of the movies.

If I want to listen to women talk about sex, I'll watch The Golden Girls--much better show.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

If I want to listen to women talk about sex, I'll watch The Golden Girls--much better show.

Have you watched: Coupling (2000–2004)? It is the original British program which was later horribly remade for America. It is great good fun on many levels. It has been called: "Friends with sex." Many of the situations are worthy of P. G. Wodehouse as they build from innocent interactions to wildly inappropriate disasters. "Jane and the Truth Snake" (Season 2: Episode 5) is one of the best things ever broadcast.

On 12/3/2019 at 3:38 PM, David Guercio said:

In that scene, he is watching A Serbian Film. You can thank me later.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That would depend on whether or not one actually considers MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS as being a Christmas movie.  I'd say that with only one short segment taking place during Christmas, and near the END of the picture, and Garland singing what now is considered a "standard" Christmas tune,  I don't think it really qualifies.  

To me, a "Christmas movie" is one in which the whole story takes place during Christmas, and in which Christmas plays a large part in the story.  In "St. Louis", the main theme is the upcoming world's fair and the move to New York.  And of course, Judy Garland's character trying to snag a fellah.  ;)

Sepiatone

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

That would depend on whether or not one actually considers MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS as being a Christmas movie.  I'd say that with only one short segment taking place during Christmas, and near the END of the picture, and Garland singing what now is considered a "standard" Christmas tune,  I don't think it really qualifies.  

To me, a "Christmas movie" is one in which the whole story takes place during Christmas, and in which Christmas plays a large part in the story.  In "St. Louis", the main theme is the upcoming world's fair and the move to New York.  And of course, Judy Garland's character trying to snag a fellah.  ;)

So "Die Hard" is a Christmas movie and "Meet Me in St. Louis" isn't?

I shoudn't be surprised but Kristin Chenoweth is in a Hallmark Channel Christmas movie  that premieres on Saturday.  It's titled "A Christmas Love Story," and it co-stars former "Party of Five" series  regular Scott Wolf.

See the source image

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

Yes.  And "Gremlins" isn't, no matter what it might think.

4 hours ago, jakeem said:

GAg32Fb.jpg

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, jakeem said:

I don't recall ever making that claim.  Sure, DIE HARD takes place during Christmas, but Christmas doesn't figure into the story any more than being the reason McLane is in LA to begin with.  But typically(also) Christmas movies, to many, end with  a more positive direction in which people with questionable characters( in this case, the terrorists  perpetrating  the heist)  redeem themselves  when overtaken by the Christmas  spirit.  None of that happens in "Die Hard".  In fact, the story could have taken place at any time of year.   

12 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I don't recall ever making that claim.  Sure, DIE HARD takes place during Christmas, but Christmas doesn't figure into the story any more than being the reason McLane is in LA to begin with.  But typically(also) Christmas movies, to many, end with  a more positive direction in which people with questionable characters( in this case, the terrorists  perpetrating  the heist)  redeem themselves  when overtaken by the Christmas  spirit.  None of that happens in "Die Hard".  In fact, the story could have taken place at any time of year.   

"Meet Me in St. Louis" will ALWAYS be a Christmas movie because of one song that has been covered by artists ranging from Frank Sinatra to The Jackson 5.

Going by THAT tepid criteria, you could also claim it's a HALLOWEEN movie too!  :rolleyes:

ONE SONG does not a Christmas movie make. 

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Going by THAT tepid criteria, you could also claim it's a HALLOWEEN movie too!  :rolleyes:

ONE SONG does not a Christmas movie make. 

Tell that to TCM's programming department. "Meet Me in St. Louis" is on their December schedule every year. This month, it'll be aired in prime time on Christmas Eve. :ph34r:

Nope. Haven't seen it.

2 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Nope. Haven't seen it.

Wait, isn't that the one with Arnold Schwarzenegger trying to buy the Power Rangers figure?--Oh, wait, that's "Jingle All the Way".  

I always get my 90's Christmas Trepak-Comedies* mixed up...Does this have Tim Allen in it?

* - (So named for movies whose near-entire reason to be made is to air the TV ads at Christmas, and show just the pratfalls of the characters getting bonked, violently pranking or bumping into each other, or slipping on the ice,  to the "Russian Trepak" tune from the Nutcracker.  Of which the Home Alone movies, of course, invented the practice.)