Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spence

a beautiful day in the neighborhood nice, slow and well worth seeing

saw this saturday and it's deliberately slow paced, but well worth seeing especially mr. tom hanks as mr. rogers he's a marvel once again and seems certain to finally snag his 6th nomination, though this time for supporting actor. this one stuck to my ribs, meaning it stayed with me awhile after  he actually hasn't been up for an academy award since 2000's castaway

taken for granted with his understated style

i'm not gonna go into the plot because most already probably know it  I used to watch his show as a little guy  around age 6 or so

a very nice little film that is not doing gangbusters at the box office though

(***1/2-out of 4)

thanx

• Thanks 1

Meh. Tom Hanks inept imitation of Fred Rogers is cringeworthy and insulting. A dramatization of Mr Rogers Neighborhood is simply not needed.

Last years documentary WONT YOU BE MY NEIGHBOR was outstanding & excellent, highly recommend if interested in knowing more about Rogers & the series. Also, our friends at QED have done some wonderful tributes to Fred Rogers that compliment this documentary with behind-the-scenes accounts of those who actually worked with him making the show.

25 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Meh. Tom Hanks inept imitation of Fred Rogers is cringeworthy and insulting. A dramatization of Mr Rogers Neighborhood is simply not needed.

Last years documentary WONT YOU BE MY NEIGHBOR was outstanding & excellent, highly recommend if interested in knowing more about Rogers & the series. Also, our friends at QED have done some wonderful tributes to Fred Rogers that compliment this documentary with behind-the-scenes accounts of those who actually worked with him making the show.

very first time I heard that one though

5 hours ago, spence said:
5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

very first time I heard that one though

You gotta get out more 😜

Seriously though, if you only get your movie news from the Hollywood Reporter and those other big media pushers, you'll only get the latest big budget product hype geared to the lowest common denominator, not always the best quality viewing.

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

You gotta get out more 😜

Seriously though, if you only get your movie news from the Hollywood Reporter and those other big media pushers, you'll only get the latest big budget product hype geared to the lowest common denominator, not always the best quality viewing.

I saw a preview of Tom Hanks' Mister Rogers and I found something unsettling about the voice he used to imitate Fred Rogers.  I know that Hanks would never sound exactly like Rogers, but his voice was lacking the warm, calming quality that Rogers' had.  

I don't have anything against Fred Rogers and I appreciate the messages that he brought to the world through his show; but I never watched Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.  I hated the puppets in the Land of Make Believe.

I do appreciate however, that in today's toxic environment both in real life and online, that Mr. Rogers' ideas of acceptance and being polite and helping others has made a resurgence.  The way that people talk to one another, especially on online forums, is vile at times.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I saw a preview of Tom Hanks' Mister Rogers and I found something unsettling about the voice he used to imitate Fred Rogers.  I know that Hanks would never sound exactly like Rogers, but his voice was lacking the warm, calming quality that Rogers' had. 

Exactly. That's why most actors will play the role rather than attempting an "imitation". (leave that to pros like Rich Little) Hanks attempt to imitate Rogers just comes across as mocking.

11 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I hated the puppets in the Land of Make Believe.

They certainly had a creepy nightmarish quality, didn't they?

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Exactly. That's why most actors will play the role rather than attempting an "imitation". (leave that to pros like Rich Little) Hanks attempt to imitate Rogers just comes across as mocking.

They certainly had a creepy nightmarish quality, didn't they?

Yeah.  I am just not interested in seeing Hanks imitate Rogers.  I'd rather see the Fred Rogers documentary.  I watched the PBS documentary "Won't You Be My Neighbor?" and it was fantastic despite my not having any nostalgia for Rogers.  Hanks is okay, but Hollywood seems to be trying to present him as a modern-day James Stewart or something and I'm not buying it.  I hated Forrest Gump because I found the movie really annoying (save for Sally Field whom I love).  I've seen Cast Away before (but was more sad about Wilson's plight, than Hanks'). I did like Saving Mr. Banks, but more for Emma Thompson.  Hanks' presence in a film doesn't deter me from watching it, but it doesn't make me want to watch it either. 

Re: the puppets.  I don't like puppets, caricatures, or things that feature grotesque, exaggerated, features.  

Of the Mister Rogers that I have seen, my favorite part was the beginning with his song, his putting on his cardigan, and feeding the fish.  After that, I watched something else. 

• Like 1

There was only one Fred Rogers, and Hanks, great actor that he is, simply could not make me forget that I was merely watching an actor pretending to be Mr. Rogers.

I kind of wish that Tom would try and pull off more dark roles. The closest he came was in ROAD TO PERDITION (great movie), where he played a hitman,  even though even in that part it was hard NOT to root for him after what he goes through during the movie.  But I just loved him in the part just the same.

I would like to catch that documentary WON'T YOU BE MY NEIGHBOR myself.

8 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Hanks, great actor that he is, simply could not make me forget that I was merely watching an actor pretending to be Mr. Rogers.

Obviously not a great actor if all you see....is a man pretending.

I agree, Hanks might be able to save his career by shifting toward more dramatic,  darker roles.  Although I seriously doubt he has the talent or intensity necessary to succeed.

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Obviously not a great actor if all you see....is a man pretending.

I

That's all you see ANY actor/actress,regardless of talent level, do.  ;)  

So,  how about this take on the whole thing?  ;) 

Sepiatone

My wife and I liked the film very much. No, Hanks' voice was a bit too resonant for Rogers. But this was almost more a film with Mister Rogers as a character and his impact on one family.  Not a biopic, but a very, very well-written film. And if it leads some of this generation's parents and youngsters to revisit Mister Rogers, that would be a wonderful thing.

I never watched Mr. Rogers and I'm surprised they would make a movie about him, especially if they expected it to sell.

I grew up with Captain Kangaroo but would be equally surprised if they made a film about him for the same reason.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I would like to catch that documentary WON'T YOU BE MY NEIGHBOR myself.

it's still lingering around in the on-demand section of HBO, so if you subscribe to that channel you should be able to find it.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

it's still lingering around in the on-demand section of HBO, so if you subscribe to that channel you should be able to find it.

It's probably also available at the library.  Between all the libraries in my library system, there are 60 copies available.

7 hours ago, TomJH said:

I never watched Mr. Rogers and I'm surprised they would make a movie about him, especially if they expected it to sell.

I grew up with Captain Kangaroo but would be equally surprised if they made a film about him for the same reason.

I wonder if there would be such an interest in Mister Rogers say a decade ago, or maybe pre-9/11, when the country didn't seem so divided and full of hate. 

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I wonder if there would be such an interest in Mister Rogers say a decade ago, or maybe pre-9/11, when the country didn't seem so divided and full of hate. 

Interesting ponderment here, speedy. 

I guess what you might be wondering here could be something similar to how towards the end of another fairly recent and turbulent era, during the Vietnam War and when America also seems so divided and full of hate, how there was a revival in interest of the pop culture and personalities of the 1950s and in what then might have seemed like an era less filled with these sorts of social trauma. And thus television programs such as Happy Days would come into being and become quite popular.

And so with this in mind, yes, perhaps this apparent rise in interest of Mister Rogers might be akin to that.

(...just a thought)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dargo said:

And so with this in mind, yes, perhaps this apparent rise in interest of Mister Rogers might be akin to that.

(...just a thought)

American culture (meaning the arts) has always been reflective & cyclical of the national temperament.  Popular colors and textures will cycle between "moderne/fantasy"- cold clear colors, hard shiny surfaces and "environmental/natural"- muted colors, soft textures.  When a country is in war, periods of prosperity and doom are all reflected in plays, novels, clothing, cars,  architecture and most design of the period. 

Disney based Main St on the "simpler, kinder times" of the first decade of the century which was a shared nostalgia for many in the (cold, moderne) 50's

Mr Rogers is definitely a nostalgia right now for baby boomers (a huge spending market, ay) and definitely reflective of a perceived by gone era.  

Again, I never watched Mr. Rogers and I did watch Captain Kangaroo. I have no desire to re-visit any of his shows (actually, that's not quite true- I did look at one for a few minutes on You Tube about a year ago). But I must be honest inasmuch as, nostalgically, I will always keep a small warm spot in the corner of my heart for the Captain. Likewise, of course, the Mr. Rogers generation I'm sure will feel similarly him. But would they feel it enough to spend a few bucks to see Hanks play him in the theatre? I have my doubts.

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

Again, I never watched Mr. Rogers and I did watch Captain Kangaroo. I have no desire to re-visit any of his shows (actually, that's not quite true- I did look at one for a few minutes on You Tube about a year ago). But I must be honest inasmuch as, nostalgically, I will always keep a small warm spot in the corner of my heart for the Captain. Likewise, of course, the Mr. Rogers generation I'm sure will feel similarly him. But would they feel it enough to spend a few bucks to see Hanks play him in the theatre? I have my doubts.

This movie, as good as it might be (I haven't seen it), seems to be following the bad box-office trend of other recent scripted films based on or at least following hit documentaries on the same subject.  The Walk (2015), based on Man on Wire (2008), and Welcome to Marwen (2018), based on Marwencol (2010), both failed at the box office. This new Mr. Rogers movie may not be a direct film version of the very successful and critically acclaimed Won't You Be My Neighbor (2018), but many viewers will find the new film redundant. It used to be generally regarded that most of the paying audience wouldn't likely see a documentary, as even the most successful in that genre had a far smaller paying audience than scripted films. But in the streaming age, documentary viewership has skyrocketed, and they are just as much a part of the zeitgeist conversation as scripted films. Thus the later scripted versions seem pointless.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Mr Rogers is definitely a nostalgia right now for baby boomers (a huge spending market, ay) and definitely reflective of a perceived by gone era.  

Sorry TIKI, but most "Baby Boomers"( 1946-1964)  were well into our adulthood to mid teens when Rogers' show debuted in '68.  It would be nostalgia for most of our kids though.  And based on my earlier post( and another earlier post by someone else) Rogers was often unfairly maligned and satirized.  But one afternoon, while sitting in the same room as my kids were watching the show, it hit me( and I mentioned it before).......

The kids probably liked him because he talked to them at THEIR level without seeming to be talking down to them.    And he made it seem that he was learning about something he was actually teaching them at the  SAME TIME, and acted just as gleeful as they might have been to learn it.   He appeared to not just like children, but respect them as valuable beings, and the kids picked up on that despite not articulating it that way.   I have had a deep respect for Fred Rogers for the last 40+ years due to all that.  

Sepiatone

4 hours ago, TomJH said:

I will always keep a small warm spot in the corner of my heart for the Captain.

I loved him too-and Mr Green Jeans & Mr Moose. Although I found Dancing Bear scary. Both Mr Rogers/Capt K shows offered US industrial films about working jobs- how things were made.

Captain_Kangaroo_promotional_postcard_19

When I saw THE SHINING '80, I thought OH NO DANCING BEAR!

Bear.gif

My one sister designed updated artwork for "Good Morning Captain" and my other sister was script supervisor on the show.  As for me, when I was 6 my mom made me a Captain Kangaroo jacket for Christmas. She soon regretted it as every morning I would go into my parents' bedroom REAL EARLY wearing my jacket and shaking a big key ring filled with keys!!

I never met Keeshan but I did get to know Gus Allegretti (his name stage name was Cosmo)  a bit when I first joined CBS. He was a real nice chap.

I have a 16mm Kinescope of one complete show from 1964. My favorite segment, though, was, I think from '61. It was when Hugh Barnam (Mr. Greenjeans) pantomimed to the Lady in Blue's recording of "Little Willie the Leader of the Band". And yeah, I have the record! Someone also youtubed it. Maybe some of you Kangaroo Kids will remember it:

• Like 1

My favorite was Andy's Gang with Andy Devine and Froggy the Gremlin. He had some great character actors like Billy Gilbert on the show too, as well as Midnight the Cat and other kid-friendly characters. Really amusing at the time, though I'm not sure how it would play to today's kids.

48a70bf52cd177617df2e7168ae86119.jpg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ray Faiola said:

My favorite segment, though, was, I think from '61. It was when Hugh Barnam (Mr. Greenjeans) pantomimed to the Lady in Blue's recording of "Little Willie the Leader of the Band".  Maybe some of you Kangaroo Kids will remember it

I remember it! LOL. Had to have been repeated since I was born in '61.

1 hour ago, Ray Faiola said:

As for me, when I was 6 my mom made me a Captain Kangaroo jacket for Christmas.

WOW. I remember when Christmas was special hand made gifts. Any pics of you IN the jacket? Would LOVE to see it.  How wonderful a job for your sister-as an artist  Looking at sets/costumes was always a fascination of TV/movie viewing, influencing my art career choice.

A few years ago I restored a Captain Kangaroo doll for an enthusiast. While sewing isn't my forté, the customer requested fairly simple fabrics and some great reference photos. Special request was I had to craft "CBS" eye logo cufflinks for the doll's suit.

s-l1600.jpg

Children's TV show hosts is a personal favorite genre for me, one reason I fell for oft maligned 2002 DEATH TO SMOOCHY.  While I found Mr Rogers a little too goody-goody and the puppets creepy, I enjoyed it occasionally.

I adored Captain Kangaroo although as a kid couldn't figure out his hairdo. I treasure a set of 6 beautifully printed 11x14 photos stills from Capt. K show. The collector informed me they were uncut pictures for a series of jigsaw puzzles. They were for my children's room someday.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg