Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CinemaInternational

The Thread of NO Oscars

What with the upcoming Oscar month being more than a bit expected, it seems only fair to switch the spotlight for a livlier thread. Instead of focusing on oft-seen Oscar films, let's twist it around to celebrate films that weren't nominated for Oscars, of which there are far more of every year. As long as it doesn't have that yellow band on IM Db saying nominated for or won Oscars, its fair game. Have fun!

I'll start with one that just came to mind a minute ago: 1971's A New Leaf.

MV5BZGE1YTk0YzUtMDRlNC00NWM5LWE3MWMtMjk1

I just noticed where it was absent from the BBC's list of best female-directed films (although May's Heartbreak Kid made the list), and it feels only right to highly such a funny film. Elaine May has appeared on screen only a few times, but she is a great comedian and in every scene as the eccentric heiress, she just glows. Walter Matthau is also in fine form, and May's script gets laughs out of almost every situation. It's just a great time.

You may want to narrow it down a bit. 95% of all films are non-Oscar films. Do you have a specific era/ director/ theme in mind?

I think it would be more interesting to discuss silent films from the 1910s and early to mid-1920s that might have received Oscars if awards had been given out during those early years of Hollywood moviemaking. 

As well as early performances.

For sure Mary Pickford would have had an Oscar for a silent film she did, instead of her consolation prize for the talkie COQUETTE (1929).

I wonder if John Barrymore might have won Best Actor for his portrayal of DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE in the 1920 silent film.

Even without sound, I felt he really put in a top notch performance.

• Like 1

The Big Parade would have won Best Picture in 1925 probably. Ten Commandments would have won in 1923. 

• Like 2

I'm gonna go more recent and say Eighth Grade from either last year or the year before was an extraordinary film, and I was stunned it wasn't nominated for a single Oscar - not for the girl who played the lead, nor the guy who played her single dad, nor screenplay. A crime!

Well looking at theyshootpictures.com top 1000 movies, and leaving out foreign language movies, movies made before 1927, and two English language films made by Italian directors, the movies on the top 100 that have received no oscar nominations at all are The Searchers (#9), City Lights (#26), Touch of Evil (#31), The Night of the Hunter (#43), Modern Times (#45), Rio Bravo (#57), and The Shining (#96). 

19 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

You may want to narrow it down a bit. 95% of all films are non-Oscar films. Do you have a specific era/ director/ theme in mind?

Can be any era. Any film, just as long as the Oscars overlooked it.

Well I saw Berlin-Alexanderplatz the other day and really liked it.

berlin-alexanderplatz-1931

Franz is kind but a bit of an oaf though ("Promise me you won't look behind the curtain." :blink: :lol: )