When Worlds Collide (1951)/February 13

The Firm (1993)/February 14

Sons and Lovers (1960)/ February 18

The Hours (2002)/February 21

Broken Lance (1954)/February 27

The Card (1952)/March 2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The general way it seems to be arranged is like the game Six degrees of Separation. Each film airing one after the other has one cast member in common with the one that aired just before it.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

All That Jazz then must be airing on the first of February.....

I'm sorry to tell you this but I just checked and they not airing All That Jazz ('79) at all, (my heart is broken 😭)

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

The general way it seems to be arranged is like the game Six degrees of Separation. Each film airing one after the other has one cast member in common with the one that aired just before it.

They did a Six Degrees theme once before. 

I don't have the channel anymore, but I'll still indulge in my annual tradition of listing the only films during February that I haven't seen:

• Little Women (1949) 
  • Lassie Come Home (1943) 
  • Lady Be Good (1941)
  • Cimarron (1960)
  • The Princess and the Pirate (1944)
  • All the Brothers Were Valiant (1953)
  • Back Street (1941)
  • None Shall Escape (1944)
  • Mister Buddwing (1966)
  • The Red Danube (1949)
  • The Spanish Main (1945)
  • Strike Up the Band (1940)
  • The Facts of Life (1960)
  • The Merry Widow (1952)
  • Rich, Young and Pretty (1951)
  • The Chocolate Soldier (1941)
  • Vacation from Marriage (1945)
  • Experiment Perilous (1944)
  • The White Cliffs of Dover (1944)
  • Too Young to Kiss (1951)
  • Kisses for My President (1964)
  • The Perils of Pauline (1967)
  • Wee Willie Winkie (1937)
  • Varsity Show (1937)
  • My Wild Irish Rose (1947)
  • Green Dolphin Street (1947)
  • Music in Manhattan (1944)
  • Hot Millions (1968)
  • I Want You (1951)

That's about three times more than usual that I haven't seen. However, I'm not really interested in seeing any of those, either.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

They did a Six Degrees theme once before. 

More than once, I believe.

A tip of the hat to the programming department for scheduling the 1954 version of "A Star Is Born" opposite the Oscars on Sunday, Feb. 9. Renée Zellweger could be making an acceptance speech for portraying Judy Garland sometime late in the evening.

See the source image

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Why don't people have TCM anymore?

It was moved to the Sports package on Comcast. I decided to just get the Criterion Channel which is only 11 dollars a month and much cheaper, with a wider variety.

1 minute ago, Gershwin fan said:

It was moved to the Sports package on Comcast. I decided to just get the Criterion Channel which is only 11 dollars a month and much cheaper, with a wider variety.

Thanks for explaining.

Okay, I'm trying not to read many (or any) posts on here yet. I'd prefer to check out the schedule myself before reading what others have to say about it. I swear, I never discover these things until bedtime. I'll hopefully have more time to ponder tomorrow, but I'm happy we now at least have a partial list.

I am always excited to have the month of February devoted to Oscar worthy films.  Last year somehow, someway TCM managed to gain the broadcast rights to show "South Pacific".  I was hoping that title would make its return this year along with another premiere, the musical "Oklahoma".  No such luck.  It would be nice to see where the "One-Reel Wonders" are scheduled throughout the month.  Anyway it should be a grand month of movie watching on TCM. I am looking forward to it.

• Like 1

If you want to play the TCM 31 Days of Oscar 360 Degrees trivia game, the question is: “who is the wrap-around artist?” (an artist who appears in both the first and the last movie scheduled).

The answer this time appears to be…

Albert Finney, who appears in both The Entertainer (1960) (the first movie scheduled) and Tom Jones (1963) (the last movie scheduled).

I will leave it to others to identify all the connecting artists for the other films. 😊

• Like 1

Meh. There are movies I’d watch, but nothing that screams: RECORD ME NOW. 

Hello, all, I had to edit of the post below because I didn't look at the schedule for 3/1 and 3/2. Lotta Fox movies on the last two days that I almost left out! Hopefully this makes the numbers a little more accurate.

All right, I've finally looked over the entire lineup.  I tried to break down the lineup by studio. I only counted once, so I'm not going to swear it's 100 per cent accurate, but it should give everyone a good general idea of which studios are being most-featured. An unusually heavy MGM year, even for 31 Days? Fully one out of every three films being shown are from MGM, and at least 65% are "in-library".

Here's how it breaks down:

MGM 124
Warner Bros. 66
United Artists 42
RKO 26
Columbia 24
20th Century Fox 21
Paramount 13
Universal 12
Embassy 4
Allied Artists 3
Eagle-Lion 2
Orion 2
Others 8

That only comes out to 347. I must have missed a day somewhere. If I can figure out what the missing 13 movies are, I will edit the above post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And now by decade. We'll see how mine compares to that guy who breaks that down every month. I'm not including any shorts or other between-features material. TCM doesn't seem to be listing them for this month, anyway. Again, I'm 13 movies short, which could be one day's content I accidentally skipped (or one movie each on a bunch of different days, which will be much harder to correct!).

'20s 0
'30s 76
'40s 117
'50s 67
'60s 55
'70s 20
'80s 7
'90s 4
'00s 1

• Thanks 1

A pretty great rare picture, I WANT YOU, is airing March 2nd at 6pm. I managed to finally track down a VHS of it a few weeks ago and I found it to be quite interesting. If you're a Dana Andrews, Farley Granger, or Dorothy McGuire fan make sure to check it out. I especially liked Farley in it (and he had great chemistry with Dorothy)! It's not as good as THE BEST YEARS but it hits similarly.

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2019 at 5:49 PM, LawrenceA said:

I don't have the channel anymore, but I'll still indulge in my annual tradition of listing the only films during February that I haven't seen:

• Little Women (1949) 
  • Lassie Come Home (1943) 
  • Lady Be Good (1941)
  • Cimarron (1960)
  • The Princess and the Pirate (1944)
  • All the Brothers Were Valiant (1953)
  • Back Street (1941)
  • None Shall Escape (1944)
  • Mister Buddwing (1966)
  • The Red Danube (1949)
  • The Spanish Main (1945)
  • Strike Up the Band (1940)
  • The Facts of Life (1960)
  • The Merry Widow (1952)
  • Rich, Young and Pretty (1951)
  • The Chocolate Soldier (1941)
  • Vacation from Marriage (1945)
  • Experiment Perilous (1944)
  • The White Cliffs of Dover (1944)
  • Too Young to Kiss (1951)
  • Kisses for My President (1964)
  • The Perils of Pauline (1967)
  • Wee Willie Winkie (1937)
  • Varsity Show (1937)
  • My Wild Irish Rose (1947)
  • Green Dolphin Street (1947)
  • Music in Manhattan (1944)
  • Hot Millions (1968)
  • I Want You (1951)

That's about three times more than usual that I haven't seen. However, I'm not really interested in seeing any of those, either.

Lawrence, you might want to check out None Shall Escape, which imagines the trial of a Nazi in Poland after the war is over.  Good script, excellent direction by Andre de Toth, and it is interesting to compare the imagined trial with the actual post-WWII trials. That's the one I would recommend for you. Green Dolphin Street is a fine 40s melodrama, but possibly not to your taste. I remember Hot Millions as being fun, but haven't seen it in years. The June Allyson Little Women is better than you might think, but the Katharine Hepburn version is definitely better. The land rush scene in Cimarron (early in the picture) is exciting, IIRC.

• Like 1

I would like to post my own list of films being shown I haven't seen. The '30s and '40s films are pretty full of them, surprisingly, even though they're full of "in-library" films you think I would have seen, given all my years of TCM watching. Anyone who has recommendations of the best, I would like to hear from. Maybe I can do that over the weekend.