• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CinemaInternational

Most of the February (Oscar) Schedule is Up

3 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

OK, lets see.... will take a few days.

Feb. 1

Lawrence Oliver (Entertainer to Wuthering Heights)

Flora Robson (heights to Caesar and Cleopatra)

Leo Genn (Caesar to Quo Vadis)

Peter Ustinov (Vadis to Billy Budd)

Terrence Stamp (Budd to Far from the Madding Crowd)

Julie Christie (Crowd to Doctor Zhivago)

Omar Sharif (Zhivago to Funny Girl)

Barbra Streisand (Funny to Way We Were)

Robert Redford (Way to The Candidate)

Feb 2

Melvyn Douglas (Candidate to Ninotchka)

I went ahead and finished it out.  Go to my TCM Schedule Information page and click on the At-A-Glance schedule for February:

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html

In my list I show the actor in common with the previous film.  In TCM's Now Playing newsletter for January they listed a few of the films for February by showing the actor in common with the following film.  Ends up being the same list of actors, just shifted by one position.

• Thanks 2

A note that the TCM lineup on February 14th has recently been changed.  (The changes are reflected in the monthly schedule but not yet shown in the daily/weekly schedules.)

Because of the 360 Degrees of Oscar game that TCM is playing, it is more difficult for them to swap out movies in February since each film must have an actor in common with the preceding film.

Here is the primetime lineup (ET) on the 14th before the change (showing the film number and actor in common with the preceding film):

8:00p    The Firm (1993) (157 Gene Hackman) (A TCM premiere)
    10:45p    A Few Good Men (1992) (158 Tom Cruise)
    1:15a    Easy Rider (1969) (159 Jack Nicholson)
    3:00a    Cool Hand Luke (1967) (160 Dennis Hopper)
    5:15a    Papillon (1973) (161 Anthony Zerbe)

and the lineup after the change:

8:00p    The Firm (1993) (157 Gene Hackman)
    10:45p    Brubaker (1980) (158 Wilford Brimley)
    1:05a    An American Dream (1966) (159 Murray Hamilton)
    3:00a    Cool Hand Luke (1967) (160 J.D. Cannon)
    5:15a    Papillon (1973) (161 Anthony Zerbe)

As you can see, A Few Good Men (1992) was replaced with Brubaker (1980), and Easy Rider (1969) was replaced with An American Dream (1966).  In terms of the Oscar game, TCM has swapped out Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson, and Dennis Hopper for Wilford Brimley, Murray Hamilton, and J.D. Cannon.  A rather disappointing change from the game perspective, I must say. 😉

(My thanks to MCOH for flagging the schedule changes.)

• Thanks 1

Anyone know if there's a way to track what short films and one-reel wonders will be airing during the marathon?  Those turn up on the Watch TCM app after they air, correct?

31 Days of Oscar is one of the only months I don't record anything-they showcase Oscar winning movies-usually good movies- and I've seen them all several times.

On 1/19/2020 at 12:43 PM, Vidor said:

Anyone know if there's a way to track what short films and one-reel wonders will be airing during the marathon?  Those turn up on the Watch TCM app after they air, correct?

I don't know of a way to track shorts that will be shown during the 31 Days of Oscar in February.  (There currently are no shorts that are listed in TCM's advanced schedules for February.)

I would guess that some shorts may appear in the schedules as the dates draw nearer, but it is very unpredictable.  The only tip I can provide is to try to check the weekly schedule format in addition to daily schedules, as sometimes the weekly format gives more details on the shorts.

I would also say that for the shorts that are shown, I would not count on them appearing on WatchTCM.  Some may be shown there, some may not.  Again, it's very unpredictable.

Sorry that this is not a more encouraging reply.

On 1/19/2020 at 10:43 AM, Vidor said:

If you look at the February schedule by the week and use the genre filters at the top of the schedule, you can at least see which short films are airing. You’ll have to view it week by week. I think only some of the shorts end up on Watch TCM—not all. There are 2 on there right now. If you search for the short film in the TCM database, you may luck out and see it in their video archive (can’t guarantee it). You may also find the short on you tube. 

13 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

I don't know of a way to track shorts that will be shown during the 31 Days of Oscar in February.  (There currently are no shorts that are listed in TCM's advanced schedules for February.)

I would guess that some shorts may appear in the schedules as the dates draw nearer, but it is very unpredictable.  The only tip I can provide is to try to check the weekly schedule format in addition to daily schedules, as sometimes the weekly format gives more details on the shorts.

I would also say that for the shorts that are shown, I would not count on them appearing on WatchTCM.  Some may be shown there, some may not.  Again, it's very unpredictable.

Sorry that this is not a more encouraging reply.

No need to be sorry, not your fault!

I think the six degrees format is a poor one for this reason.  The marathon worked better when they went award by award by award...you could have a block of Live Action Short Film awards, a block of Animated Short Film awards, a block of Documentary Feature awards, all awards that are basically excluded from the marathon in its current format.  Heck, you could go back to the simple A to Z format that they used once and do the same.  Clearly I need to get myself made CEO of Turner Classic Movies.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vidor said:

I think the six degrees format is a poor one for this reason.  The marathon worked better when they went award by award by award...you could have a block of Live Action Short Film awards, a block of Animated Short Film awards, a block of Documentary Feature awards, all awards that are basically excluded from the marathon in its current format.  Heck, you could go back to the simple A to Z format that they used once and do the same.  Clearly I need to get myself made CEO of Turner Classic Movies.

If you were CEO of TMC,   wouldn't you run focus groups to see what the viewing public is interested in?     Note that Oscar month is TMC's biggest promo and my guess is that Short-films rank very low (if even on the radar),  when it comes to what the viewing public is interested in.     I.e. Oscar month is star and big-movie driven for a reason.   

I say this as a jazz musician and jazz music lover.   Jazz is now the least listen to, and purchased music,  in America.    

If I was a CEO of a radio station,   that station would go bankrupt!    (in fact all the jazz stations have,  and the few remaining ones survive based on donations,  and I suspect all will be gone by the end of this decade).

41 minutes ago, Vidor said:

I believe I made this comment back in 2016, which was the last time the ‘360 degrees’ Oscar format was used, but I'm sorry to say for me this is more of a gimmick and doesn’t really add much to the information conveyed in the presentation of the films.  Once the host mentions the common actor, they would go straight to talking about the current film on its own with possibly little or no relationship to other films being shown that day.  The format has a rather limited connection to the Oscars or the nature of Oscar films in general.

It is undoubtedly a challenge for the programmers to pick 360 films that are all connected in a chain of actors, but other than being a fun sort of trick I’m not sure it’s worth it for the viewer.

That may also be a reason why there are no shorts being listed in the initial schedules - they may be showing the schedules for the sake of the 360 Degrees game where all the films are connected and don’t want the shorts that are unrelated to the format to get in the way.  I guess we will see if shorts are added in to the details of daily/weekly/monthly schedules as we go through the month.

I also am not too crazy about the 360-degree format, though I guess it's gotten some positive feedback in some of those aforementioned focus groups or on social media, because I"m thinking this is at least the third time  they've used it. I've preferred years where content was divided by studios or eras or award categories or subject matter. I haven't been much of a fan of the A-Z format either, which also seems excessively random. But those seemed to be two formats most preferred by TCM programmers.

On 1/25/2020 at 8:04 PM, sewhite2000 said:

I also am not too crazy about the 360-degree format, though I guess it's gotten some positive feedback in some of those aforementioned focus groups or on social media, because I"m thinking this is at least the third time  they've used it. I've preferred years where content was divided by studios or eras or award categories or subject matter. I haven't been much of a fan of the A-Z format either, which also seems excessively random. But those seemed to be two formats most preferred by TCM programmers.

We are on the same page,my fave 31 days of Oscar was between the one in 2013 and 2015

Some of the shorts for the first week in February are now showing up in the schedules (weekly and monthly views).

Times are EST:

Feb-2 Sunday 9:49 AM Romance Of Radium (1937)
Feb-2 Sunday 4:31 AM Sure Cures (1946)
Feb-3 Monday 10:18 AM Heavenly Music (1943)
Feb-4 Tuesday 1:43 AM Annie Was A Wonder (1948)
Feb-4 Tuesday 5:30 AM Beyond The Line Of Duty (1942)

As speedracer5 mentions above you can go to the weekly schedule view and click on the 'shorts' tab to filter on these items.

(thanks again MCOH for the info)

On 1/24/2020 at 9:51 PM, speedracer5 said:

If you look at the February schedule by the week and use the genre filters at the top of the schedule, you can at least see which short films are airing.

Thanks for that info. I never saw those genre filters before! 🤦‍♀️

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads-up!  Not showing on my DVR so I'm still recording a lot of feature films I'm not going to watch just so I can fast forward to the shorts at the end.  😀