6/28 & 7/1 The Blues Brothers

7/19 & 7/22 Ghost

8/9 & 8/12 Babe

9/13, 9/14, & 9/17 Close Encounters of the Third Kind

10/11 & 10/12 Psycho

11/8 & 11/9 One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest

12/13 & 12/14 Fiddler on the Roof

• Thanks 3

Once again, no “The Long, Long Trailer” in sight. 

I would go see “An American in Paris.”  I love that movie. I’ve seen it in the theater like 3 times. 

My family is all in for “King Kong” in March. 

I’d also go see “Psycho” (seen it in the theater at least three times, but I’d see it again) and “Airplane!” too. 

I'm considering “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.” It was filmed in my hometown and we drove past the mental hospital where it was filmed fairly often. 

You couldn’t pay me to see “Annie,” unless it was only Carol Burnett and Tim Curry and all Annie scenes were removed. 

Wow. Pretty exciting line-up for this year. I am definitely going to see "Fiddler on the Roof." It is one of my favorite movies of all time. 

Also pretty excited for A League of Their Own, Psycho, Airplane.... Might try to see One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest too. Not sure yet, though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

You couldn’t pay me to see “Annie,” unless it was only Carol Burnett and Tim Curry and all Annie scenes were removed. 

Ha ha, me too! I'm really looking forward to AN AMERICAN IN PARIS. This one is a must see on the big screen!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Ha ha, me too! I'm really looking forward to AN AMERICAN IN PARIS. This one is a must see on the big screen!

I've seen An American in Paris in the theater I think at least three times before, once was on 35mm film.  It is a great film to see in the theater.  I'm definitely seeing that one.  

I wish there were some more older films in the lineup.  I can do without Babe and Annie

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 1:29 AM, speedracer5 said:

The 2020 TCM Fathom Events schedule has been announced: 

I have seen Babe, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest when they were first released, Cuckoo's Nest is by far the best, maybe I will see that one again.

I have seen all the rest except for A League Of Our Own  and The Blues Brothers, I don't think I will see those.

I am hoping that the King Kong version is the 1933 one , if so, that along with Psycho are the two greatest on the list. 

I may also check out Love Story again, I would like to see that on a big screen with a great sound system for that beautiful music score. 

3 hours ago, lydecker said:

Blues Brothers??  Are they kidding.  Yea, that's a real classic . . . 

Isn't it?

Disappointed in most of these. I understand TCM and Fathom want to make sure that they can actually sell tickets to these showings but it wouldn't hurt to have some more older films.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I have seen Babe, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest when they were first released, Cuckoo's Nest is by far the best, maybe I will see that one again.

I have seen all the rest except for A League Of Our Own  and The Blues Brothers, I don't think I will see those.

I am hoping that the King Kong version is the 1933 one , if so, that along with Psycho are the two greatest on the list. 

I may also check out Love Story again, I would like to see that on a big screen with a great sound system for that beautiful music score. 

It is the 1933 King Kong.  That is the main film that I want to see.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Judex said:

Disappointed in most of these. I understand TCM and Fathom want to make sure that they can actually sell tickets to these showings but it wouldn't hurt to have some more older films.

Agreed.  I feel like there were some other films they could have chosen.  Annie ::gag::  Babe? I didn't even want to see that movie when it came out originally and I was 11!  I know that they have to somewhat choose films that make bring in the big box office, but I doubt Babe is going to do that.

1940 films that would be celebrating an 80th anniversary:

The Letter

Foreign Correspondent 

His Girl Friday

Rebecca

The Mark of Zorro

The Sea Hawk

**At the very least, I think Rebecca or His Girl Friday would have brought in an audience.

1950 films would be celebrating a 70th birthday

Sunset Blvd (Though I think this was just featured a couple years ago)

In a Lonely Place

The African Queen

All About Eve (I think this film was also just featured)

Born Yesterday

The Asphalt Jungle

There are plenty of other films that TCM could have selected. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Agreed.  I feel like there were some other films they could have chosen.  Annie ::gag::  Babe? I didn't even want to see that movie when it came out originally and I was 11!  I know that they have to somewhat choose films that make bring in the big box office, but I doubt Babe is going to do that.

1940 films that would be celebrating an 80th anniversary:

The Letter

Foreign Correspondent 

His Girl Friday

Rebecca

The Mark of Zorro

The Sea Hawk

**At the very least, I think Rebecca or His Girl Friday would have brought in an audience.

1950 films would be celebrating a 70th birthday

Sunset Blvd (Though I think this was just featured a couple years ago)

In a Lonely Place

The African Queen

All About Eve (I think this film was also just featured)

Born Yesterday

The Asphalt Jungle

There are plenty of other films that TCM could have selected. 

In 2018, they brought back THE BIG LEBOWSKI for the 20th anniversary. This year we had GLORY and FIELD OF DREAMS (both released in '89). Might just be me but I'm really not crazy about them showing such recent films. I guess there's probably a heavy element of nostalgia involved for folks buying tickets to 80s/90s films (I was born after the 80s movies and was too young to remember LEBOWSKI when it first came out so I can't vouch for this personally). But wouldn't there also be a similar draw for older audiences getting the opportunity to see something like HIS GIRL FRIDAY on the big screen? I know TCM has especially been pushing WHEN HARRY MET SALLY this year, having it open the TCM fest as well as screening it through Fathom too which I've also found to be a little questionable.

I saw a lot of younger filmgoers around my age who aren't normally interested in classics (but view themselves as more open-minded cinephiles) react extremely well to seeing LAWRENCE OF ARABIA in theaters earlier this year and that made me very happy. The days that those screenings were happening, I remember sifting through absolutely glowing reactions upon reactions on Reddit and on Twitter...

My biggest wish for 2019 was to have ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE screen for the 50th anniversary, however it obviously didn't happen (at least through the TCM-Fathom partnership). I'm still sore that I wasn't able to see this anywhere on the big screen this year. It's not as well known as the Connery films but it does have a bit of a cult following that I would hope to maybe attract some curious Bond lovers. I admit that it would probably not do super well with box office receipts but I keep on thinking back to when I saw the original SUPERMAN w/ Chris Reeve through Fathom around a year ago. Again, lots of people around my age who are more (or ONLY!) familiar with Henry Cavill's Supes showed up and still had a blast seeing the character's story presented in a different way than what they've been used to these last few years. I sincerely think that if TCM/Fathom/Regal/AMC/etc. promoted these screenings more often and in a more engaging manner, they'd get even better returns and wouldn't be so hesitant to show real classics.

P.S. I'd love to see the MARK OF ZORRO! 😩

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Judex said:

In 2018, they brought back THE BIG LEBOWSKI for the 20th anniversary. This year we had GLORY and FIELD OF DREAMS (both released in '89). Might just be me but I'm really not crazy about them showing such recent films. I guess there's probably a heavy element of nostalgia involved for folks buying tickets to 80s/90s films (I was born after the 80s movies and was too young to remember LEBOWSKI when it first came out so I can't vouch for this personally). But wouldn't there also be a similar draw for older audiences getting the opportunity to see something like HIS GIRL FRIDAY on the big screen? I know TCM has especially been pushing WHEN HARRY MET SALLY this year, having it open the TCM fest as well as screening it through Fathom too which I've also found to be a little questionable.

I saw a lot of younger filmgoers around my age who aren't normally interested in classics (but view themselves as more open-minded cinephiles) react extremely well to seeing LAWRENCE OF ARABIA in theaters earlier this year and that made me very happy. The days that those screenings were happening, I remember sifting through absolutely glowing reactions upon reactions on Reddit and on Twitter...

My biggest wish for 2019 was to have ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE screen for the 50th anniversary, however it obviously didn't happen (at least through the TCM-Fathom partnership). I'm still sore that I wasn't able to see this anywhere on the big screen this year. It's not as well known as the Connery films but it does have a bit of a cult following that I would hope to maybe attract some curious Bond lovers. I admit that it would probably not do super well with box office receipts but I keep on thinking back to when I saw the original SUPERMAN w/ Chris Reeve through Fathom around a year ago. Again, lots of people around my age who are more (or ONLY!) familiar with Henry Cavill's Supes showed up and still had a blast seeing the character's story presented in a different way than what they've been used to these last few years. I sincerely think that if TCM/Fathom/Regal/AMC/etc. promoted these screenings more often and in a more engaging manner, they'd get even better returns and wouldn't be so hesitant to show real classics.

P.S. I'd love to see the MARK OF ZORRO! 😩

The Big Lebowski has a big cult following, so I can see why it was shown in the theaters.  I'm sure it performed well.  It came out when I was in the 8th grade, I think I saw it, but I haven't seen it since. I saw The Princess Bride (another cult film, but I love it) a few years ago for its 30th anniversary and all showings were packed and sold out.  I also saw Dirty Dancing (another film I love), but I don't think it was part of the TCM partnership. 

In all honesty, I am waiting for them to show Titanic again.  I saw that movie on opening day in the eighth grade in 1997, and ended up seeing it 3 times.  I would definitely watch that film in the theater again. 

I do agree that I'm not a big fan of this tendency to show newer films.  It seems like Fathom should perhaps set up a separate series for these newer films and then have the older films in the regular series.

There are some classics like Gone With the Wind that I'd love to see in the theater, but at the same time, I don't want to sit in the theater for nearly 4 hours.  That's too long.  Though, this is coming from someone who marathoned all the Toy Story movies in the theater when Toy Story 3 came out (watching all three films in one day), so who knows what I'm talking about.

• Like 1