Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The handsome and debonair Walter Pidgeon

The Girl of the Golden West is on TCM again at 9:45am ET today - and it's one that Walter Pidgeon fans shouldn't miss (if they haven't seen it already).

*The Girl Of The Golden West* (1938)

A frontierswoman shelters a notorious outlaw.

Cast: Jeanette MacDonald, Nelson Eddy, Walter Pidgeon, Leo Carrillo Dir: Robert Z. Leonard BW-121 mins, TV-G

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Attention Walter Pidgeon fans - he appears in one of the movies TCM is showing tonight as part of the George Raft tribute:

*The House Across the Bay* (1940) 9:30pm ET

An aircraft designer falls for an imprisoned gangster's wife.

Cast: George Raft, Joan Bennett, Lloyd Nolan, Walter Pidgeon Dir: Archie Mayo BW-87 mins

A very interesting film. Loosely based on Shakespeare's THE TEMPEST and possibly a template for the original STAR TREK television series. In fact one episode with James Daly is quite similar in content and plot to Forbidden Planet.The lesser known factoid that Walter Pidgeon and Leslie Nielsen were both Canadians is a good thing. Aliens in a movie about aliens.Stands to reason then that William Shatner was cast as Captain Kirk, he being from Montreal. A little joke, not a vast conspiracy. Best, BruceG.

Hey, nothing alien about Canadians.

"Forbidden Planet" is extemely entertaining and enjoyable on many levels, and can be regarded as simultaneously a science fiction treatment of "The Tempest", and a fun campy space movie with Anne Francis in a playsuit. I like when Leslie Nielson takes the "brain boost".

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

>with Anne Francis in a playsuit.

That's the part that I like best. Aside from that, it is pretty corny. Several ST:TOS eps do seem to draw on it.

I've never seen many of the original Star Trek shows, but I can easily believe they were influenced by "Forbidden Planet". I'm a huge fan of "Star Trek: The Next Generation".

BTW, does anyone recall the songs in "Rockey Horror Picture Show"? The theme song makes a direct reference to "Forbidden Planet" Another line I like is "...and Claude Rains was the Invisible Man."

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> BTW, does anyone recall the songs in "Rockey Horror Picture Show"? The theme song makes a direct reference to "Forbidden Planet" Another line I like is "...and Claude Rains was the Invisible Man."

Yes, I remember. It's full of references to actors and movies, also including Leo G. Carroll and The Day of the Triffids, among others.

Funny thing, that there should be a small link between RHPS and Walter Pidgeon. ;)

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

>

> Funny thing, that there should be a small link between RHPS and Walter Pidgeon. ;)

Somewhere, in a parallel universe, he's playing Meatloaf's part.

• 2 weeks later...