Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favorite Role Of These Character Actors/Actresses

7 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I still say Da Silva's performance as the mob boss with a wicked (and I do mean "wicked") sense of humor in 1950's The Underworld Story is my favorite.

(...he almost steals the movie from the lead in it, Dan Duryea, and that's a pretty hard thing to do)

Yea,   my initial choice for Da Silva was that of his mob boss in The Underworld Story.        I was about to select that but then I remembered They Drive by Night and his character,   Chickamaw.          I just had to mention Chickamaw.       (oh, and thanks for allowing me to use this yet again!).

• Haha 1
On 12/7/2019 at 5:18 PM, TopBilled said:

Great idea for a thread!

For Beulah Bondi, I'd say MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW. But I also need to mention her guest-star turn on The Waltons in the 1970s. She was so good in the episode entitled "The Pony Cart" she received an Emmy.

On 12/8/2019 at 2:02 AM, spence said:

McCarey write that MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW was his own fav picture

I really enjoyed Make Way For Tomorrow, but it was so sad.  I was really hoping that one of the children would get over themselves long enough to help out their parents, but nothing.  The only child who was even remotely good was Fay Bainter.  I really liked her character.  

When the parents get together and have their date at the hotel where they first honeymooned was so sweet. 

The ending was just tragic, but an unfortunate reality for people at that time in history.

On 12/7/2019 at 7:34 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

William Bendix

Elisha Cook Jr

Howard da Silva

Ruth Gordon

Beulah Bondi

Gladys George

What are yours?

William Bendix- Probably Detective Story, but I liked him in The Dark Corner and The Glass Key too.

Elisha Cook Jr- He was excellent as the fall guy in The Maltese Falcon, but I also loved him in House on Haunted Hill.

Howard de Silva- I honestly didn't know who this was based on just the name, looking at his filmography, I am able to piece together who he is.  I loved him in They Live By Night

Ruth Gordon- I hate Rosemary's Baby, what a bore that thing was.  The best part was that lady over-enthusiastically saying "Hail Satan!" I borrowed Harold and Maude from the library, I've never seen it before and haven't watched it yet. I did like her in Inside Daisy Clover.

Beulah Bondi- She was great in Make Way For Tomorrow, I loved her in The Very Thought of You, I liked her in The Sisters (it all comes back to The Sisters), but I think my favorite is her role in Remember the Night as Fred MacMurray's mother.

Gladys George- Loved her in Now, Voyager.  She was so delightfully horrible in that film. She was also great in her small role in The Maltese Falcon and I liked her in He Ran All the Way

• Like 1
14 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Gladys George- Loved her in Now, Voyager.  She was so delightfully horrible in that film. She was also great in her small role in The Maltese Falcon and I liked her in He Ran All the Way

Gladys George was not in NOW, VOYAGER, that was Gladys Cooper as Bette's mother.