Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Endings & Beginnings in film history?

spence

On 12/21/2019 at 11:08 AM, JakeHolman said:

pacino's best ever ... true history …

& my fav sequence in all The Godfather Flix!   Strangely & barley without Brando   Check out the HBO docu "I Knew It Was You Fredo"

I didn't see where anyone has listed "White Heat".  You must remember the ending " Top of the world Ma" or something to that nature?

However it's not my favourite....for me it is the ending to "Casablanca" being first and then coming in at a close second is the ending of the "Third Man".

Happy New Year TCM fans. 

On 12/8/2019 at 1:26 PM, SansFin said:

These movies have both wonderful opening scenes and closing scenes:

Sunset Blvd. (1950) 

Opening:
"Yes, this is Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles, California. It's about 5 o'clock in the morning. That's the homicide squad, complete with detectives and newspaper men." while the narrator is floating face-down in a swimming pool.

Closing: 
"All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up."  while the police wait behind the camera to arrest her for the murder.

Sunset Blvd. has my personal favorite opening and closing scenes.  Thanks, SansFin!

• Like 2

The Subject Was Roses (1968) has one of my favorite beginnings. The movie, set in the Bronx, opens with Patricia Neal waking up in an apartment that could have been my grandmother's, going out into the Bronx street --  on location -- whilst we hear Judy Collins singing "Who Know Where the Time Goes."

For endings, I don't think there's another movie that can compare with Abel Gance's Napoleon (1927).

napoleon-1927-017-three-triptychs_1.jpg?