Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Endings & Beginnings in film history?

I hope I don't accidentally name the same beginning or ending of a film that's already been posted.  Here are some of my favorites"

BEGINNINGS

West Side Story (1961)  Helicopter shot overhead of New York City making the space between buildings appear like canyons then pulling in to the neighborhood where the story will take place and beginning to hear finger snaps.

ENDINGS

Cabaret (1972)  when you hear the song "Cabaret" at the end, you realize it is not a song of happiness because - with the Nazi ascent to power - the context has changed.  In the final scene of the film, the master of ceremonies (Joel Grey) sings as we see his reflection in a distorted mirror then the camera pulls out to  reveal a Nazi audience - a disturbing recognition of things to come.

Joel Grey, image in a distorted mirror shot - ''Cabaret'' 1972 | Joel grey,  Cabaret, Bob fosse

The Bad Seed (1956) when "the bad seed" goes back to the dock to get the prize and is suddenly hit by lightening.  Chilling.

The Bad Seed (1956) Moview ReviewPatty McCormack | Cinemorgue Wiki | Fandom

Frankenstein (1931)  The burning windmill with Frankenstein trapped inside.

image.jpeg.56c991a7ede09fb1cfdf5435f6faf829.jpeg

• Like 2

Has the opening of David Lean's 1947 GREAT EXPECTATIONS already been mentioned? It certainly sets the tone for the rest of the film, especially taking place in a graveyard, with the wind blowing and the trees crackling. I remember seeing it on TV for the first time when I was a kid and the opening scared me! Oddly enough, Finlay Currie was to become one of my favorite actors.

• Like 2

I like the ending of THE TEACHER (1974).  The cheesy, lounge-music score (((pulses))) at the very end during the climactic confrontation scene between Angel Tompkins and Anthony James . . . then the end credits roll in silence.    

Also stars Jay ("Dennis the Menace") North, Med Flory, Marlene Schmidt and Barry Atwater.   (There's also cameo appearances by the mothers of John Cassavetes and Gena Rowlands!).

It's a cheesy Italian B movie but the ending to Sergio Citti's Bawdy Tales ("Send HIM to Paradise!") got a real chuckle out of me.

• Like 1
On 7/29/2021 at 10:49 PM, JakeHolman said:

Eh, I prefer the original ending from the theatrical version, where Father Dyer is about to walk down the steps and realizes down there is the exact spot where (SPOILER ALERT) Father Karras jumped to his death and then turns around and walks away from it.

A much more dramatic finish to an excellent, if disturbing, film.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trainspotting has one the greatest openings, i believe, of any film.  Not sure if its been mentioned yet.  There's three different timelines being edited together, all at a good fast pace and with memorable creative shots.