Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Endings & Beginnings in film history?

Just watched the opening to The Philadelphia Story for the zillionth time. Cary Grant almost slugs Katharine Hepburn, thinks better of it, shoves her to the ground only by touching her face. Audiences, men and women both, were supposed to laugh at this in 1940, I guess, and Grant is supposed to be gentlemanly, I guess, for "only" shoving her.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Ooh, Bette Davis shooting that guy about 10 times before a line of dialogue has been spoken in The Letter, which I watched with my parents again over Thanksgiving.

While this IS a great opening scene to be sure sewhite, I thought it was rather funny that in your post right before it you were questioning the "gentlemanliness" of Cary shoving Kate to the ground in The Philadelphia  Story, and YET there seemed no judgement at all coming from you about Bette shooting the lover who spurned her in The Letter.

'Cause THAT certainly wasn't "ladylike", now was IT?!!! ;)

LOL

(...yeah yeah, I know...one's a rom-com and the other a drama...still found it kind'a funny, though)

• Like 1

Well, to be fair, in THE PHILADELPHIA STORY,  Dexter did only shove Tracy down (albeit on her face) rather than out and out smack her.  And she did need to realize that absolutely NO ONE can be 100 percent perfect all the time, no matter how hard they tried.  Fortunately she did come to realize that by the end of the movie.

1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Well, to be fair, in THE PHILADELPHIA STORY,  Dexter did only shove Tracy down (albeit on her face) rather than out and out smack her.  And she did need to realize that absolutely NO ONE can be 100 percent perfect all the time, no matter how hard they tried.  Fortunately she did come to realize that by the end of the movie.

Yeah, and besides, I've known a few golfers who'd get PRETTY damn upset if you broke THEIR 5-iron in half TOO!

(...just one of the reasons I'm a tennis player instead) ;)

10 hours ago, Swithin said:

Is there anyone who thinks that the opening scene (after the credits) of Horrors of the Black Museum is a great first scene?

Black-Scene.jpg

Wait, they already made a horror movie about a museum that just fairly recently opened up in Washington D.C.???

Lemme guess. The woman shown here is playing a white supremist who happened to walk into the wrong museum while taking a tour of the Washington Mall area, right?!

(...c'mon now...how could I of all people resist this one!)

13 hours ago, JakeHolman said:

yet another good choice ^ in my Alternate Oscars I have Steve as deserving Best Actor

I'M STILL HERE YOU BASTERDS

Any of THE GREAT ESCAPE'S tremendous finale too?