Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spence

Best Endings & Beginnings in film history?

I don't have the means nor the time, because I am at work,  to find the final scene to this title.  The final scene featuring the "Wilcoxon speech" in Mrs. Miniver has always been a favorite and when the music is playing at the end with the fighter planes flying overhead you almost wish the movie would go on to see them defending the right. 

On 12/17/2019 at 10:22 PM, JakeHolman said:

excellent film 4 stars! & I coulda easily seen Steve McQueen in that role 10yrs earlier

On 12/17/2019 at 10:23 PM, JakeHolman said:

yet another strong one you dug up!  Ever see the same yrs Rob Roy with Liam Neeson?

On 12/17/2019 at 10:29 PM, JakeHolman said:

You may already know this bit of fact-based trivia  but John Wayne was the first choice to portray Will Kane, he turned it & tv's Gunsmoke down though

You rarely if ever hear people mention the legendary 2 time Oscar winning Coop anymore?

4 hours ago, johnpressman said:

Best Endings: "I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang"

there was a mediocre (**) tv remake with  Val Kilmer

Still any chance of someone submitted one of Cagney's dynamic endings or the final speech by Tracy in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

23 minutes ago, spence said:

Still any chance of someone submitted one of Cagney's dynamic endings or the final speech by Tracy in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

I have a slight case of insomnia tonight and saw you mentioned Cagney. That's all it takes for me. 😀 How about this one?

Gets me every time.

Here is a favorite Spencer Tracy ending...

I thought of another great ending, this time from the horror genre. It's eerie, unsettling, and just downright scary.

Insidious (2010)

On 12/19/2019 at 3:32 AM, Rudy's Girl said:

I have a slight case of insomnia tonight and saw you mentioned Cagney. That's all it takes for me. 😀 How about this one?

Gets me every time.

Here is a favorite Spencer Tracy ending...

A big thanks to Rudy's Girl for submitting these heavyweight  scenes! So your a big fan if Cagney huh, we could go over a ton of stories on Jim-(he disliked Jimmy) & had more tremendous ending then any other actor in Old Hollywood  Angels With Dirty Faces, Roaring Twenties, White Heat, Yankee Doodle Dandy,etc A TIP  there is a great docu/special on youtube I believe where just after Ragtime (l98l) he was interviewed on his life & career  CHECK IT OUT!!!  & yet the real JAMES CAGNEY would sit in silence on his porch & cry at the rain even

Spence wrote in his diary that the best films of his career (74 movies) were Captains Courageous and Nuremberg

Again to Rudys Girl,  4 big stars for the clips!

Easily must rank among Hollywoods all-time top 5 courtroom dramas  But for Monty Clift it was hell, forgetting his lines & a lot more from drugs & alcohol, of all people it was The Great Spencer Tracy that personally assisted Clift into remembering much,

even George M. Cohan-(l878-l942) was quoted as saying "Spencer Tracy Your the Best damn Actor That Ever Lived" unquote

Sole debit for me & I really like him, but the casting of Lancaster in a role meant for Olivier

William Shatner is about the sole person still alive from the epic at 88 now  often speaks of this film & the first tie he aw Tracy enter the rom/courtroom & was in awe instantly noting his very white hair & jet black rbe as he 1st saw the finest film actor that ever lived

Sole debit, a superb Maximilian Schell took home the Best Actor statue  vs.  support?

THANK YOU

WHAT HAPPENED FOLKS, NOMORE MARVELOUS CLIPS???

Can someone teach me how exactly to be able to get a clip from elsewhere onto here?

On 12/19/2019 at 9:48 PM, JakeHolman said:

Steve, once again you dug up something special pal,  I was way ahead of the crowd in regard to thinking Blade Runner was something special in the great cinematic year of l982  I  was only 17 to 18 that yr my debut  year going to 36-60 new movies & oddsmaking UNCLE OSCAR. I must admit I did pretty lousy predicting them though that yr. But I gave ten new flix 4 stars for '82   E.T., Tootsie, The Verdict, Sophie's Choice, Das Boot, Diner, Blade Runner, Garp, Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip & The Road warrior & almost wit h the 8 time sweeping bio Gandhi  Now, you rarely find 1 new release excellent.  Question, how did you come o pick that sequence vs Tears in the Rain with the now already late Rutger Hauer, in what shoulda been an Oscar nominated role  That glorious score by Vangelis, Art-Direction & Visuals deserved to win in my humble opinion. It only grossed $33m domestically & I know there are fans of the recent Blade Runner 2049 (**) but I;m not one of them, especially compared to that original   At any rate thanx again & see page 8 or 9

I already posted this at inception of this one, but once again & it's fun

My personal top 3 to 5 beginnings>

1st The Godfather

2nd Citizen Kane

3rd  Some Came Running

4th Apocalypse Now

5th  Bad Day at Black Rock

&  this is the much more difficult pt my personal top 3-5 cinematic endings>

1st Casablanca

2nd City Lights

3rd  Modern Times

4. The Godfather, Part II

& 5th fav finale  Splendor in the Grass

(Runner-up): The Searchers

When Spence gets it in Captains Courageous

& 4 dynamic Cagney endings

Most probably & or know of tv's superb series The Sopranos=-(l999-2007) well some cast members told of their idols, fav movies & more & on many fronts  Creator DavidChase idolized Cagney above all and Public Enemy had been his favorite film his entire life. As for star James Gandolfini-(l961-2013)his hero was Bogart, & Paulie Walnutsactor also always idolized James Cagney

Virginia Mayo-(l920-2005) was on the money in a tcm interview, during The Studio-System  Hollywood would never give an Oscar to a Gangster Role-(speaking of Cagney as Cody Jarrett in White Heat) Plus, during that era he always had to die by the finish\

As for Cagney himself personally he was bored portraying bad guys& loved dancing by far. It was his idea to make Cody nuts in WH otherwise he considered it another hack job   Only it's script made the cut come Oscar nominee time, same goes for Little Caesar &Public Enemy

Speaking of Organized Crime & Hollywood  Joey Gallo-(died in '71) he literally based his entire life & persona on Richard Widmark (Tommy Udo( in 1947's Kiss of Death, right down to his own wardrobe

& the infamous Bugsy Siegel-(l906-l947) wanted into acting in Tinsel-Town, even getting a screen test His closest pal & actorGeorge Raft895-l980) was the only person to attend his 1947 funeral at Hollywood Forever, ****-*it borders Paramount)  Raft's was also the only  Cagney called eventougherthen him  when the two started out in NYC's Hell;s Kitchen

On 12/17/2019 at 10:23 PM, JakeHolman said:

I'm more then surprised nobody cited the legendary endings of Casablanca, GWTW, Maltese Falcon, Treasure of the Sierra Madre\

Alfred Hitchcock (l899-l980) & his greatest bits are also somewhat left out though

He was almost famous for his film beliefs ashe was for his films &believed the first sequence be the mist interesting

2 hours ago, spence said:

I'm more then surprised nobody cited the legendary endings of Casablanca, GWTW, Maltese Falcon, Treasure of the Sierra Madre\

GWTW ending already posted ... i posted it ...