Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Forgotten Valentino Film

The very first Valentino movie I ever saw was The Sheik. Big Surprise, I know. 🥱 I actually was hoping I could find Beyond the Rocks with Gloria Swanson. No luck. Along the way I discovered Moran of the Lady Letty and absolutely loved it. This film was an attempt to attract a male audience since his fan base consisted mostly of women.

The plot is a simple one. Valentino's character is a rich, spoiled youth who is shanghaied by a vicious captain and forced to work as a seafaring bootlegger. When he saves a man from a sinking ship he soon realizes the new passenger is actually a woman camouflaging herself as a man to avoid the advances of sailors. When the captain learns of her true identity, Valentino must protect her and it's not an easy task.

Rudy couldn't be more handsome here and is unpolished and natural. The love story is sweet. There is very little mush here. In fact, my pic is taken from this movie. Silent film fans who love Rudolph Valentino, or who are just discovering him, will not be disappointed. 

Moran_of_the_Lady_Letty_poster.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

This is one of my favorite Valentino films. I think it shows that he did have range & had he not died so young, would have proven himself to be more than just a heart-throb. He also had a knack for comedy which you can see in "The Eagle" & in some of his very early work.

• Like 1