Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf

I am a huge fan of the movie Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf. I have probably watched it 5 to 6 times. My question for discussion is about Martha (Elizabeth Taylor) and George (Richard Burton), and their son.  Their blond haired green eyed son, Martha insist his eyes are green like Daddy's, George says his eyes are blue. Is "Daddy" Martha's dad maybe the father,  or is he a fictitious character in a book that George is writing and has him swerving his car to avoid hitting a porcupine and hits a tree and kills him off in the end of the book? I just can't figure out their whole "son" part of the movie. I love this movie, it is so funny, almost like I know dysfunctional couples like them!   Anyone have any input on this part of the movie? Much appreciated,

MicChow 

I believe the son is just a fantasy for them because they cannot deal with the brutal reality of their lives. George and Martha like to play strange games and the son was supposed to one only for their personal fantasies, when Martha mentions him to someone else, George kills him, according to the rules of their game. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the boards MICK.  And maybe after your SEVENTH time watching the movie, you'll catch on that it's VIRGINIA WOOLF;) 

The "son" is a fantasy of George and Martha since they were unable to have children.  Why is never clear, But it seems that fantasy of the son got to where it tortures George, possibly because it's his "fault" for their not being able to have children, and his killing the "son" off in a book is one way he can deal with it.  And too, it could explain why they drink so heavily.  It's far froma favorite movie for me,but I still find it fascinating from time to time.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It took at least two viewings of this movie augmented by a little online reading to get what this whole "son" thing was about. It certainly wasn't too clear to me after the first viewing, although maybe the Sandy Dennis character at the end says something about there not being a son? I don't know. It's all brilliantly acted, but I'm usually out before it's all over. It's a bit too much of an emotional roller coaster for me.

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Welcome to the boards MICK.  And maybe after your SEVENTH time watching the movie, you'll catch on that it's VIRGINIA WOOLF;) 

The "son" is a fantasy of George and Martha since they were unable to have children.  Why is never clear, But it seems that fantasy of the son got to where it tortures George, possibly because it's his "fault" for their not being able to have children, and his killing the "son" off in a book is one way he can deal with it.  And too, it could explain why they drink so heavily.  It's far froma favorite movie for me,but I still find it fascinating from time to time.

Sepiatone

In the book,  is there any mention of an abortion?     I.e. that they have no children because Virginia had an abortion.       The "son" is created to fill in the empty space created by that.    

15 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

In the book,  is there any mention of an abortion?     I.e. that they have no children because Virginia had an abortion.       The "son" is created to fill in the empty space created by that.    

There is no mention of abortion, only that George and Martha cannot have children.

;)

That and the fact that in the book OR the movie, there's no character named VIRGINIA!  :wacko:

In fact, there's no BOOK!  ;)  The movie was an adaptation of an Edward Albee play.  And no Virginia in the play either.    ;) 

Sepiatone

13 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

;)

That and the fact that in the book OR the movie, there's no character named VIRGINIA!  :wacko:

In fact, there's no BOOK!  ;)  The movie was an adaptation of an Edward Albee play.  And no Virginia in the play either.    ;) 

Sepiatone

Yea,   I really messed up that one,,,,  calling Martha,  Virginia.        

• Haha 1
On 12/12/2019 at 9:35 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

I believe the son is just a fantasy for them because they cannot deal with the brutal reality of their lives. George and Martha like to play strange games and the son was supposed to one only for their personal fantasies, when Martha mentions him to someone else, George kills him, according to the rules of their game. 

That totally makes sense to me! Virginia Woolf was the game or song Martha sang "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" at the party they had just attended! I suspected that the son was a character in a book that George was writing and he killed him off in the end due to his anger towards Martha for what he saw going on in the upstairs bedroom! Thank you for your response!

• Like 1

Gotta say, every time I watch this movie it reminds me of a couple who lived in the apartment right above my then future wife and I back in the mid-'80s.

It seemed every other day and/or night they'd be arguing at the top of their lungs.

Well, that was UNTIL one night when I finally couldn't take it anymore and stepped out on our balcony and in a voice even louder than theirs yelled up to their balcony the following: "LOOK YOU TWO! IF YOU CAN'T LIVE TOGETHER WITOUT THESE FREAKIN' ARGUMENTS THAT EVERYBODY IN THIS FREAKIN' COMPLEX CAN HEAR, THEN GO YOUR SEPARATE WAYS, WHY DON'T YA?!!!"

It must have worked, 'cause the guy moved out a couple of days later.

(...I've always loved it when people heed my wise counsel) 

• Haha 1
On 12/11/2019 at 10:23 PM, MicKChow said:

I am a huge fan of the movie Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf. I have probably watched it 5 to 6 times. My question for discussion is about Martha (Elizabeth Taylor) and George (Richard Burton), and their son.  Their blond haired green eyed son, Martha insist his eyes are green like Daddy's, George says his eyes are blue. Is "Daddy" Martha's dad maybe the father,  or is he a fictitious character in a book that George is writing and has him swerving his car to avoid hitting a porcupine and hits a tree and kills him off in the end of the book? I just can't figure out their whole "son" part of the movie. I love this movie, it is so funny, almost like I know dysfunctional couples like them!   Anyone have any input on this part of the movie? Much appreciated,

MicChow 

As others have stated, there is no actual child. George and Martha created a pretend child that they were only supposed to talk about when they were alone.

One of the most touching parts of the movie to me is when Sandy Dennis's character says to Martha "You couldn't have children?" and George says "We couldn't."

Similarly, when Martha tells Nick (George Segal's character) there was only man who ever made her happy, he thinks she means her first husband (the gardener, who Nick calls "the gym instructor" ) but she corrects him by saying that George is the love of her life and recounts how she has self-destructively tested his love throughout their marriage because he made the mistake of loving her and must be punished for it.

• Like 1

Thank you for your input, George and Martha have such a love, hate relationship that you have to listen to the undertones to what they say to each other and decide whether or not it really happened or is it just another one of their sick  games they like to play!   I would have to put this movie in a category of it's own! What that is, I do not know!

6 hours ago, MicKChow said:

Thank you for your input, George and Martha have such a love, hate relationship that you have to listen to the undertones to what they say to each other and decide whether or not it really happened or is it just another one of their sick  games they like to play!   I would have to put this movie in a category of it's own! What that is, I do not know!

Mind if I take a crack at it then?!

(...how about...wait for it..."Snark Noir"?)