Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spence

Sinatra's 104th birthday waqs yesterday

Was going to post this yesterday but was just too tired for it  My #1 all-time idol-(Tracy of actors) Francis (Albert) Sinatra-(l9l5-l998) had his 104th birthday on December 12th, obvious reason our favorite network airs a few of his (58) motion pictures & in the meantime yesterday I went back to a couple sites about his final resting place located-(modestly) in Desert Memorial Park in Palm Springs, CALIF. & even his fans searching for it had a difficult time of it  due to it being just like every other grave, except his is the sole one decorated with flowers, pennies & an American Flag.

His mom, pop, last wife & even his best friend Jilly Rizzo are next to him. One would think with his ego & such he'd have a marker like The Great 0ne Jackie Gleason, Jolson or Fairbanks though  In death The Rat Pack are all spread out, Dino in Westwood, Sammy in Glendale,etc

His last home in PS is still all intact & fans can actually stay overnight there, but for $18 hundred a night.  Google if you want his very final concert, it's sad!  All agree his finest era of music was the mid to late 50's known as the post Ava Gardner yrs  I bet the legions of fans visited his grave yesterday  For fellow fans or anybody you can easily locate that footage of it online ^& the outright dump they lived in in Hoboken, NJ  has been raised only awhile ago, but Hoboken has markers everywhere  That's is where his mob connection first started, he'd have to play clubs early & Wise Guys owned them in both NJ & NY areas  Frank always felt Dino was the funniest man on the planet, but was the only one there when Sammy suffered that awful car accident  his eye actually popped out & then he tried taking Davis to several hospitals but they refused him because he was black  Anonymously for decades he financed a heart operation for his sports hero Joe Louis, but Louis suffered a stroke in the midst of it.

It's splitting hairs, but he was Sicilian & not only Italian

Paid for Bela Lugosi's funeral, got Lee J. cobb out of the infamous Vegas black book & more

He was born still-born & if only for his grandmother's input she put him under ice cold water, if you look at the left side of his neck that was from the tongs they had a big problem getting him out, reason he was 4-F in WW11, his left ear was almost punctured trough his 82yrs

Despite loving boxing, baseball was his game I used to even own a FS Bobblehead on the mark & with a baseball bat in hand vs a microphone.

Matter of fact his own fav of the 3 with Gene Kelly was Take Me 0ut to the Ballgame & the San Francisco Giants

He died of a massive heart attack at Cedars Sinai hospital May 14th, 98   It was a a bit sad when yet another interview with Frank, Jr-(l944-2016) was of course talking about his old man & many folks were writing in, pondering what he'd do next & so on, I broke the news that he was also gone 

Arguably my biggest screw up in mid Hollywood was trying to get a lg photo of one of it's largest murals & even had Capitol Records in the background!  I failed though, using a different camera, what a big dummy

He always called himself a 14 carat manic depressive-(again a connection to The Great Spencer Tracy) These2 giants used to live next to each other in Trancas Beach, CALIF

JUST SOME FUN TRIVIA, HOPE YOU FIND IT OF INTEREST    I even own an official black fedora like his & with his signature on the inside

Sinatra & his music-(my top 5 favorite numbers):  Out of over 200 songs and 1,800 albums in 6 decades)>

1st It Was a Very Good Year

2. In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning (Bing.com voted this his finest song recently)

3. Summer Wind

4.  One More for the Road

5th fav of mine  Angel Eyes-(probably the saddest song ever done)

Worst: Mamma Will Bark

Won 13 Grammy Awards

& of his 58 films: (debut 1943's Higher & Higher)>

1st Some Came Running

2 *From Here to Eternity

3, The Manchurian Candidate

4. Suddenly

& 5th  Anchors Aweigh -(Hollywood never looked so beautiful)

His own favorite Man With the Golden Arm

& Oscar nominations & wins

1953 *From Here to Eternity

1955 Man With the Golden Arm

but won a first statue for the 1944 short  The House I Live IN & was given The Jean Hersholt  Humanitarian Award for 1971

His acting idol & great pal was *Bogie & thought Tony Bennett was the greatest singer

THANK YOU

He was robbed of what woulda been his 3rd acting Oscar in 1954's Suddenyly?

& told Larry King he almost went around 1980/81 during an 8hr stomach operation

His first wife Nancy just died about a year ago & was approx. 101

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

Waqs on...Waqs off.

KarateKid_WaxOnWaxOff-500x281.jpg

Eric, whats the connection?

32 minutes ago, spence said:

Eric, whats the connection?

I think Eric is making a joke out of the typo in the subject header (waqs). 

In "The Karate Kid," Mr. Miyagi gives Daniel advice: "Wax on, Wax off." 

And too, the auto censor probably wouldn't let him post any other picture that would illustrate "waqs off!"  ;) 

And besides Sinatra's admiration of Bennett as a singer, he also once said,( I recall reading somewhere in the '60's)

"Everyone makes a big deal out of my 'phrasing'.  But I'll tell ya....   If I could phrase a song as beautifully as NAT KING COLE, I could die a happy man. "   

Sepiatone

Nat King Cole's phrasing is impeccable, however, I can't listen to him for too long due to the idiosyncratic nature of his voice.

Tony Bennet believes that vocal phrasing just means singing very slow.

Judy Garland could really act out a song, however,  she tends to slur her words, especially the last syllables.

No one, now or ever, holds a candle to Frank.

Nobody had a way with a song like Sinatra.

Except maybe for Buddy Love:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

LOL

Yeah, or also maybe Dr. Richard Thorndyke (aka Mel Brooks) here in High Anxiety...

16 hours ago, EricJ said:

THANK YOU   May insist his character was based on Dino, but I think both Dino & Frank

My personal favorite sequence in it is when he gets the college professor to not only stand on his desk, but pulls his pants down &  then just leaves the room

Sadly Stella Stevens is in a hospital now for Alzheimers & Joanne Woodward is also suffering from hat god awful deisease

12 hours ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Yeah, or also maybe Dr. Richard Thorndyke (aka Mel Brooks) here in High Anxiety...

A good one (***) that gets lost in his resume, also even funnier Silent Movie (l976)

22 hours ago, johnpressman said:

;)  They couldn't .   He'd  have probably  caught fire!  :D

Sepiatone

22 hours ago, johnpressman said:

Nat King Cole's phrasing is impeccable, however, I can't listen to him for too long due to the idiosyncratic nature of his voice.

Tony Bennet believes that vocal phrasing just means singing very slow.

Judy Garland could really act out a song, however,  she tends to slur her words, especially the last syllables.

When he went in '98 Larry King had a panel on of course to talk about him & some older actress singer-(may have been Eartha Kitt) said he was 2nd best phrasing only after Edith Piaf

& though he just lost his idol & great friend Rickles still broke to joint up

1 minute ago, Sepiatone said:

;)  They couldn't .   He'd  have probably  caught fire!  :D

Sepiatone

COOL!

Anyone ever see the big 2 FS specials on tv   1998;s The Rat Pack (**1.2) where they cast Ray Liotta as him? But both Joe Mategna & on Cheadle were great!

The other one a mini-series I missed though?

And I have this bit saved Lady Ga Ga & others celebrating his 80th birthday