Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
noah80

TCM REMEMBERS 2019

I watched this earlier on Twitter.  I watched it without the music.  

I was most heartbroken at the loss of Doris Day and Luke Perry.

RIP :( 

I worry who they're going to shoehorn in after the fact.  Someone big always passes away after TCM publishes their tribute.

21 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I worry who they're going to shoehorn in after the fact.  Someone big always passes away after TCM publishes their tribute.

NOTHING could be as bad as losing Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds during the final days of 2016!

• Sad 2

34 minutes ago, jakeem said:

NOTHING could be as bad as losing Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds during the final days of 2016!

That was brutal.  Then MTM passed just a few weeks later.  That was definitely a rough time for me.  I am not normally emotionally affected by celebrity passings, but the loss of Debbie Reynolds, then MTM, later Luke Perry, and Doris Day were all tough for me. MTM especially hit me hard. Mary Richards was (and still is) one of my role models.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

That was brutal.  Then MTM passed just a few weeks later.  That was definitely a rough time for me.  I am not normally emotionally affected by celebrity passings, but the loss of Debbie Reynolds, then MTM, later Luke Perry, and Doris Day were all tough for me. MTM especially hit me hard. Mary Richards was (and still is) one of my role models.

I feel the same way about Dick Van Dyke, who turned 94 on Friday the 13th! His classic 1960s sitcom with MTM is still my all-time favorite. Carl Reiner, who created and produced the show, is 97.

See the source image

5 hours ago, jakeem said:

That was exceptional! They included the people who died within the past week or so.

Danny Aiello was included and he just died a couple of days ago. TCM is usually pretty good at this memorial thing. 

• Like 2

I really liked the voice overs during the music's instrumental bridges-the filters make them feel like memories. (especially love Albert Finney's "magic" comment)  Excellent visual composition blend of movie clips alternating with a "triptych" of movie clips projected onto 3 screens over rippling water-fabulous! And the thread that ties the images together (couples kissing/profession/frame compositions) is brilliant editing, as usual.

Sad reminder we lost Katherine Helmond and glad to see inclusion of Ron Hutchinson. Great job TCM filmmakers!

• Like 4

Another fine tribute by the production team TCM uses to put these remembrances together.  Some of the songs used in past years resonate with me right away (like last year, 2003, and 2007).  Others I need to listen to a few times before they grow on me (like 2013).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, midwestan said:

Another fine tribute by the production team TCM uses to put these remembrances together.  Some of the songs used in past years resonate with me right away (like last year, 2003, and 2007).  Others I need to listen to a few times before they grow on me (like 2013).

I agree with you. I love Sarah McLachlan, so having "I Will Remember You" for the  2003 tribute was the perfect choice. It took awhile for "When The Night Is Over" from last year's tribute to grow on me because I felt it sounded like a song the Goo Goo Dolls rejected. (I somewhat feel that way now, but you know what I mean.)

• Like 1

The first time in a while I've heard of most on the list.  But I had no idea that Violet from the Willy Wonka movie( Denise Nickerson) had died this year.   She was 6 years my junior.  And that's distressing.

Sepiatone

1 minute ago, jinsinna13 said:

I agree with you. I love Sarah McLachlan, so having "I Will Remember You" for the  2003 tribute was the perfect choice. It took awhile for "When The Night Is Over" from last year's tribute to grow on me because I felt it sounded like a song the Goo Goo Dolls rejected. (I somewhat feel that way now, but you know what I mean.)

And you know, whether I really got into the song or not, I've put all of them on my Spotify list.  I also check in with YouTube from time to time to watch previous year's remembrances.  It's almost like watching a home movie and seeing familiar faces (but without having to set up the stupid projector!).

• Like 1

I was somewhat worried Luke Perry wouldn't be included because he was more known for TV. I'm glad that was not the case.

To paraphrase Humphrey Bogart from Casablanca : "We will always have Beverly Hills."

7 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

The first time in a while I've heard of most on the list.  But I had no idea that Violet from the Willy Wonka movie( Denise Nickerson) had died this year.   She was 6 years my junior.  And that's distressing.

Sepiatone

According to some of the YouTube comments on this year's tribute, Nancy Gates was left off (and she apparently had a daytime's worth of programming dedicated to her on TCM this year).  Kay Ballard also didn't make the cut, although you could say her forte' was mostly television.  Still, she was in a movie with Jane Powell ("The Girl Most Likely") in 1957.

I appreciate TCM doing this, but I still believe it should be done about mid-January rather than mid-December.

3 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I appreciate TCM doing this, but I still believe it should be done about mid-January rather than mid-December.

You know Cid, I used to feel the same way, but I'm fine with the way TCM handles it.  No matter when a tribute runs, you're always going to have some 'lag' if someone dies in the one to three weeks when the tribute is running.  In those instances, I think it's perfectly fine for anyone who dies between now and the end of the year to be so honored in December, 2020.  I think the network wants the remembrances to play mostly in December, because after a week or say, ten days into January, people are finally getting into the fact that it is a New Year, and the old one is well in the past.

24 minutes ago, jinsinna13 said:

I was somewhat worried Luke Perry wouldn't be included because he was more known for TV. I'm glad that was not the case.

To paraphrase Humphrey Bogart from Casablanca : "We will always have Beverly Hills."

The clip they used was from “Buffy the Vampire Slayer.” He actually appeared in quite a few films, more than I’d realized. I learned all this when looking at his filmography after he’d passed. His last film was Quentin Tarentino’s “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.”

RIP Luke. You’ll always be my Dylan McKay. 

• Like 1

I don’t think Valerie Harper was included. But I honestly cannot recall if she’s ever appeared in a movie. 

10 hours ago, jakeem said:

I feel the same way about Dick Van Dyke, who turned 94 on Friday the 13th! His classic 1960s sitcom with MTM is still my all-time favorite. Carl Reiner, who created and produced the show, is 97.

See the source image

as is Betty White now 97

11 hours ago, jakeem said:

That was stunning wasn't it   I mean who coulda predicted that

10 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Carrie used to take virtually every drug & booze it up, but never heard of her mom doing same?

Just now, spence said:

Carrie used to take virtually every drug & booze it up, but never heard of her mom doing same?

No I don’t recall hearing about Debbie doing drugs and boozing it up. 

• Haha 1