Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
noah80

TCM REMEMBERS 2019

2 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS was shown the night they highlighted the films of Oscar Levant.

Oh, so it's already been on. :( I would think they have something scheduled due to her passing. Does anyone know?

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

It probably has to do with her passing. TCM always features movies from some stars that died that year. When is it on?

That music can't get any worse, can it? I wonder what's the story on that?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, noah80 said:

my suggestion: 1949 Doris Day - Ol’ Saint Nicholas

My first Doris Day record was something called:

"Whad'ja Put In That Kiss?"

Does that ring any bells for anybody?

Doris Day ~ Whad'ja Put In That Kiss

Doris' attempt at rock music as it was becoming popular in the mid/late 1950's.

• Thanks 1

I don't know who makes the decisions about who qualifies. TCM is more inclusive than the Oscars, but even they leave people out.

Are they showing ANY Doris Day movies for their year end tributes to passed stars? I haven't seen any!

17 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Are they showing ANY Doris Day movies for their year end tributes to passed stars? I haven't seen any!

No they are not because Doris Day received a 24-hour tribute earlier in the year.  The year-end tribute (which was only last night and early this morning) is only for people who did not receive such treatment (that would also leave out Stanley Donen, Peter Fonda, and Albert Finney, who each received dedicated tributes earlier this year).  Specifically, the people they paid tribute to last night were Julie Adams (Creature from the Black Lagoon), David Hedison (The Fly), Carol Channing (Thoroughly Modern Millie), Tim Conway (McHale's Navy), Rutger Hauer (Eureka), D.A. Pennebaker (Monterey Pop), Bibi Andersson (Wild Strawberries), and Franco Zeffirelli (The Taming of the Shrew).

This December memorial scheduling is something TCM has been doing regularly for years now.  Last year was an exception, as they only paid tribute to Burt Reynolds rather than a group of people.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I noticed that was the theme last night (though I did not watch any of them) Why I was asking. I didn't realize an earlier tribute disqualified the star for just ONE movie at year's end!

1 hour ago, Kevin Zephyr said:

Actress Kay Ballard passed away in January.  I did not see her in the 2019 tribute.   Are there specific accomplishments required in order to be included?

She only made a handful of films, but since two of them, The Ritz and The Girl Most likely, were on this year, they could have done a brief clip. Georgia Engel was also excluded, but her best regarded theatrical film, Taking Off, has not been on TV for years, and never on TCM. At least two TV-mostly actors were included.... but Valerie Harper was up for a Golden Globe for Chapter Two, and Luke Perry had a bit in this year's Best Picture frontrunner, Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood.

I thought TCM did a marvelous job.  I was a little overwhelmed at the shear number of people highlighted. I kept thinking someone must have said, "Let's see them complain we left someone out THIS year!"

I, too, was glad to see the inclusion of Ron Hutchinson and also Rudy Behlmer. The loss of these two film historians on the heals of Robert Osborne and Bob Birchard left an even deeper hole in that field. 

Of particular note was Bob Dorian. I was a little surprised seeing him and felt that was very gracious of TCM to remember him.

• Like 3

I've read it here several times over the years, but has it been verified that payment is required to be included in the Academy's in memoriam for many individuals?

The Academy's  Memoriam page for deceased membership  indicates that, for example, Kaye Ballard was a member of the Actors Branch, but I guess that wouldn't automatically warrant inclusion?

6 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

I thought TCM did a marvelous job.  I was a little overwhelmed at the shear number of people highlighted. I kept thinking someone must have said, "Let's see them complain we left someone out THIS year!"

I, too, was glad to see the inclusion of Ron Hutchinson and also Rudy Behlmer. The loss of these two film historians on the heals of Robert Osborne and Bob Birchard left an even deeper hole in that field. 

Of particular note was Bob Dorian. I was a little surprised seeing him and felt that was very gracious of TCM to remember him.

Bob Dorian was the father of Jennifer Dorian who is an executive Vice President at TCM.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

I've read it here several times over the years, but has it been verified that payment is required to be included in the Academy's in memoriam for many individuals?

The Academy's  Memoriam page for deceased membership  indicates that, for example, Kaye Ballard was a member of the Actors Branch, but I guess that wouldn't automatically warrant inclusion?

Yes, you have to pay. But I'd imagine if you were a big star they wouldn't ignore you......They claim they have a list on their website of people who didn't make the "cut" (pay, I guess) for airtime.

1 hour ago, HelenBaby2 said:

Bob Dorian was the father of Jennifer Dorian who is an executive Vice President at TCM.

HA!

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yes, you have to pay. But I'd imagine if you were a big star they wouldn't ignore you......They claim they have a list on their website of people who didn't make the "cut" (pay, I guess) for airtime.

That seems pretty tacky that you have to pay the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences to have them remember you and your contributions to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

8 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

That seems pretty tacky that you have to pay the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences to have them remember you and your contributions to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

I remember this topic being brought up in the past, and I still can't find any evidence that people have to pay to be included in the Oscar memorial montage.

https://ew.com/article/2014/02/26/explainer-how-the-oscar-in-memoriam-segment-is-decided/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_memoriam_segment

https://filmschoolrejects.com/how-does-someone-get-into-the-oscars-in-memoriam-segment-3b13b3d0bf5/

There are dozens more articles on the subject if you Google it, but none mention anyone paying anything for it.

The only tribute-type thing that I've heard of that's dependent on payments is getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

And to even be a member of the Academy, you have to be a former nominee/winner or if you aren't, you must have made one movie in the last 10 years. That was put in place as of a few years ago, and that means than now poor Kim Novak is not even an Academy member! She made her last film in 1991; it makes one wonder what will happen years from now when she passes. Will they remember her or not? They didn't even include Dorothy Malone or Carol Channing (a former winner and a former nominee) in their in memorioum sequences.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

You didn't use to have to. Unsure when they started doing that.

12 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

And to even be a member of the Academy, you have to be a former nominee/winner or if you aren't, you must have made one movie in the last 10 years. That was put in place as of a few years ago, and that means than now poor Kim Novak is not even an Academy member! She made her last film in 1991; it makes one wonder what will happen years from now when she passes. Will they remember her or not? They didn't even include Dorothy Malone or Carol Channing (a former winner and a former nominee) in their in memorioum sequences.

Yeah, being an Oscar winner is no guarantee of being included. I read that in some article. The families have to cough up some fee,  and I'm not sure that assures inclusion either. I remember reading about it some years ago.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, being an Oscar winner is no guarantee of being included. I read that in some article. The families have to cough up some fee,  and I'm not sure that assures inclusion either. I remember reading about it some years ago.

Don't laugh but maybe it's a licensing fee thing.  I'll bet even the Academy has to pay for the right to air clips of dead members!

There are requirements to become an academy member,  but once in, assuming one pays the annual  membership dues, one remains a member, right?  Even if you don't make another film.   I believe, for example, Julie Adams, Kaye Ballard, David Hedison and Tim Conway were still Actors Branch members.  That's why the Academy was criticized as having an aged membership.   They are listed as such on the Memoriam page of the website. 

Just now, Roy Cronin said:

There are requirements to become an academy member,  but once in, assuming one pays the annual  membership dues, one remains a member, right?  Even if you don't make another film.   I believe, for example, Julie Adams, Kaye Ballard, David Hedison and Tim Conway were still Actors Branch members.  That's why the Academy was criticized as having an aged membership.   They are listed as such on the Memoriam page of the website. 

There was a push to change the rules to try and weed out the non-active members, but I don't know that they ever went through with the changes. I know there was some backlash via various articles at the time.