Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM REMEMBERS 2019

8 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

There was a push to change the rules to try and weed out the non-active members, but I don't know that they ever went through with the changes. I know there was some backlash via various articles at the time.

Yes, I think they did! I can't remember what exactly transpired. I know Delores Hart's membership hung in the balance. She still voted.

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

Yes, I think they did! I can't remember what exactly transpired. I know Delores Hart's membership hung in the balance. She still voted.

She did appear though in that HBO documentary about her  which was up for an Oscar in 2011 though. That said though, I wonder what Mother Dolores had to think of some of the films up for Oscars over the years if she saw them. 

16 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

She did appear though in that HBO documentary about her  which was up for an Oscar in 2011 though. That said though, I wonder what Mother Dolores had to think of some of the films up for Oscars over the years if she saw them. 

She "religously" watched all the Academy mailers and voted every year. Yeah, maybe that docu. was enough to keep her "active" for awhile. I don't know.

17 minutes ago, Hibi said:

She "religously" watched all the Academy mailers and voted every year. Yeah, maybe that docu. was enough to keep her "active" for awhile. I don't know.

I wonder if the Academy cherry-picked what to send to Mother Dolores or if she really watched all the films nominated. Can you imagine her watching something like "The Wolf of Wall Street" with its 500+ f-bombs?

54 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I wonder if the Academy cherry-picked what to send to Mother Dolores or if she really watched all the films nominated. Can you imagine her watching something like "The Wolf of Wall Street" with its 500+ f-bombs?

I read her autobiography and while obviously religious she's pretty "with it". I'm sure she isn't fond of hearing profanity, but she'd watch films in contention.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Hibi said:

I read her autobiography and while obviously religious she's pretty "with it". I'm sure she isn't fond of hearing profanity, but she'd watch films in contention.

Matter of fact Wolf of Wall Street is the new champion of "F" words  Former champ was Do the Right Thing l989

2 hours ago, spence said:

Matter of fact Wolf of Wall Street is the new champion of "F" words  Former champ was Do the Right Thing l989

I haven’t seen “Wolf of Wall Street” because in all honesty, many of Scorsese’s films don’t appeal to me; but I feel like a superfluous amount of f-bombs is a lack of good writing. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I haven’t seen “Wolf of Wall Street” because in all honesty, many of Scorsese’s films don’t appeal to me; but I feel like a superfluous amount of f-bombs is a lack of good writing. 

Agreed, speedy.  Lack of good writing or poor improvisation?  Either way, it does show a lack of imagination.  I know all the words and I've been known to use them on occasion myself, but some movies for many, many years now, seem to want to shove that kind of language down the viewers throats.  Yes, I'm sure most of us know at least a few people that can take swearing to a 'whole other level', but frankly, that kind of constant talk gets old in a hurry.  What's sad about that is the person who speaks that way has done it for so long, it's about as common as saying, 'Good Morning' to someone.  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, spence said:

I remember the first time I watched VEEP on HBO and was amazed at how many times the "F" word was used.  It continued to be a very frequent word for many episodes, but I think it trailed off somewhat in later years.

On 12/14/2019 at 9:22 PM, speedracer5 said:

I watched this earlier on Twitter.  I watched it without the music.  

I was most heartbroken at the loss of Doris Day and Luke Perry.

RIP :( 

I worry who they're going to shoehorn in after the fact.  Someone big always passes away after TCM publishes their tribute.

They included David Jones of the Monkees last time. I think they should’ve included Peter Tork. Also, Cameron Boyce.

12 hours ago, Yourself Snowman 2 said:

They included David Jones of the Monkees last time. I think they should’ve included Peter Tork. Also, Cameron Boyce.

I think Peter Tork should've been included as well. Cameron Boyce did most of his work on Disney Channel and Disney XD (that includes the Descendants franchise), so that's why he wasn't included.

I'm surprised Max Wright was left out. He appeared in Bob Fosse's All That Jazz and Warren Beatty's Reds, and that's only a portion of his films. Poor Max Wright will be forever associated with Alf.

Who ever said the goal was to include "every single person who passed away in the given year" ?

Its a yearly complaint that the Oscars are too long, no matter what they do to tighten it up. Now on here its a yearly tradition to find the people they thought should have been in the TCM Remembers video. No matter who they add, there will always be someone they didn't add. Then you end up with a 45 minute video that someone will undoubtedly say "The memoriam is too long" which is how this got started in the first place.

I liked the video, miss the people. Good job !

I "ew'd" and "oh,no'd"  a lot more than usual on this one.  Many I didn't know had passed on and were favorites.  I guess that's normal as the Classic era gets further away from us and I keep getting older.  I remember when many of these folks were just starting out or had recently made their mark.  It's hard to realize that they were my contemporaries.  Thanks for a beautiful tribute. 

On 12/25/2019 at 1:43 AM, GGGGerald said:

Then you end up with a 45 minute video that someone will undoubtedly say "The memoriam is too long" which is how this got started in the first place.

Well, I have seen no complaints that the memorial is run too often:)