Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

All Day...One Star...NOOOooo!

Don't get me wrong, TCM is the ONLY thing on television.

But Harold Lloyd all day? I believe this might ruin the day for even his fans...like when you play a favorite song ad nauseum until you can't stand it.

I like it when the daily schedule is peppered with total variety.

Never met anyone who didn't like Judy...but...

Judy for 24 hours?

Nooo. That ruins the experience. Could you eat the finest lobster delicacy every day?

This is why it's better to NOT own the DVD of your favorite film. Better to wait breathlessly for it to show up on TCM: *THE greatest company in the history of television!*

I have mixed feelings, depends on what actor/actress is featured and what movies TCM selects to show. For instance was not a Judy or a Lloyd fan, so didn't watch many of what was shown. However today is Glenn Ford, so have been entertained watching old films I enjoy. I prefer they pick an obscure person to showcase and not one of the big stars, like John Wayne or Joan Crawford. Than you get a better selection, I feel.

If nothing else, it's a great opportunity to record your favorites of the rarely shown films. And, if we don't care for the star of the day, it's an great excuse to turn off the tube and get all those things done that we've put off because we watch too much TCM!

For me, Feb. and Aug. are mixed blessings. There are days, sometimes weeks, when I'm left searching for another channel to watch, and there are times when the six-hours-per-disc isn't enough for all the movies in a row that I want to record.

I'll gladly take the empty days (those actors that either I can't stand or I already have all their movies) in exchange for the way they have to dig a little deeper and air rarely-shown gems starring actors I love.

So far, this month has been pretty dreary for me, but Aug. 11th has three movies I love and haven't seen in ages. I don't recall specifics, but I remember that when the August schedule came out, I was very excited about a lot of days towards the end of the month.

> {quote:title=Capuchin wrote:}{quote}

> For me, Feb. and Aug. are mixed blessings. There are days, sometimes weeks, when I'm left searching for another channel to watch, and there are times when the six-hours-per-disc isn't enough for all the movies in a row that I want to record.

>

It's kind of like that for me, too, except that on the days when they don't show anything I want to watch (or record), I'll just watch a DVD, blu-ray or DVD-R instead. That literally gives me thousands of options.

Months go by so fast that I don't mind it when they have a whole month of special programming, although I can understand not everybody feels that way.

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> It's kind of like that for me, too, except that on the days when they don't show anything I want to watch (or record), I'll just watch a DVD, blu-ray or DVD-R instead. That literally gives me thousands of options.

For me, switching out the disks every 90 minutes is too much like work. ;)

I turn my tv on when I wake up, and it stays on until I go to bed. It's mostly background noise, to mask out the real world, so all I need is something that I'm comfortable catching a minute or two when my concentration slips away from what I'm doing. TCM usually fills the bill -- even if I'm not particularly fond of a certain movie, it's still a classic.

Unfortunately, there are some actors that can grate their way through to my subconscious, and just my luck, those are the stars often picked for tributes or SUTS.

I have some DVDs with four or five movies in a series (Nancy Drew, Perry Mason, the Falcon, the Saint, etc.), but I still have to change disks several times a day. By my standards, that's awfully close to work.

So on those days that TCM is catering to the masses (instead of being subservient to my personal taste) I usually try to find a channel that's innocuous enough to not distract me while being interesting enough that I won't mind seeing a bit here and there.

That's not an easy task. :(

*Capuchin*: I turn my tv on when I wake up, and it stays on until I go to bed.

Me too. I've been suckered into watching movies when I should be doing other things. A few times discovered real gems that way.

*cinemafan*: And, if we don't care for the star of the day, it's an great excuse to turn off the tube and get all those things done that we've put off

*PrinceSaliano*: August is not as bad as February.

Both those observations go together. February in upstate NY is like the Shining. TCM helps survive the hibernation. At least in summer, I can go outside.

*JackFavell*: It makes my decision making very simple. And you know, sometimes I even find I end up liking someone who I disliked before......

*hamradio*: The other night was the FIRST time I've ever heard Harold Lloyd talk.

A good reason to just have your TV on like Capuchin (& me) I discovered the joy of Marion Davies on her day, enjoyed snippets of Judy singing on her day, caught an unseen before Bette Davis and weeded my garden all Harold Lloyd day.

I like SUTS. It may seem like "too much", but it actually creates variety in my viewing habits. It seems to bring out many opinions and change typical viewers patterns. Glad no one has"slammed" anyone they don't care for's "day".

I'm no Glenn Ford fan, but enjoyed having lunch during Eddie's Father. I like Harold Lloyd, but can't enjoy silents on TV. But I'm sure glad TCM scheduled those stars & days! There's really something for everyone.

>*I turn my tv on when I wake up, and it stays on until I go to bed.*

I do this too. I would probably go mad if I didn't have TCM. I realize that since I got TCM in late 2007, there has probably not been a day that I haven't at least turned it on to see what was playing. I more than likely watched something every single day (excluding Elvis and maybe some of the sixties bikini stuff) since that first moment I got it.

> {quote:title=Capuchin wrote:}{quote}

> For me, switching out the disks every 90 minutes is too much like work. ;)

>

If switching disks is the only thing that bothers you, why not try a nice DVR with 40 or 50 hours' capacity? Then you can watch your favorites when there's nothing on that interests you.

There are plenty of days that I could miss. Clark Gable on Wednesday isn't one of them! I am having some of the movies recorded. I hate that you can't get many of his films on DVD yet. He was the king of hollywood!!!

By the way I started a blog on classic movies. Please stop by and give it a look. It's new, so visit often as I will be adding new posts all the time. Here's the link...

http://www.silverscreenstars1.blogspot.com

Well, I wasn't exactly clamoring for 24 hours of Dirk Bogarde, but I was planning to name him SOTM for the next programming challenge. I'd like to see TCM repeat some of these films over the next six months or so. Bogarde's an actor too little known in America. He began as what an English friend called "Mother's favorite" in some lesser films, but eventually became a fine actor. To me, Bogarde, like Marion Davies, Harold Lloyd, Ida Lupino, and Claire Bloom, wasn't an obvious choice for SUTS, but provided great balance to the schedule with more familiar stars.

There are probably people thrilled about 24 hours of Elvis.

"King and Country" is a Bogarde/Joseph Losey collaboration I'd like to see. The October schedule includes "The Doctor's Dilemma," a fine version of the Shaw play, with Bogarde, Leslie Caron, and Robert Morley.