Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Trump Impeachment(s)

10 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I'm sure there are some who don't believe he's done anything wrong, ever, even in this instance with recorded evidence...

Like 80% of the GOP Senators. 

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, ElCid said:

25th Amendment won't work as it requires Pence and a majority of Trump's cabinet  to submit a written declaration to the Speaker of House and President Pro tem of Senate that president is unable to discharge his duties.  Then Veep takes over.  EXCEPT when the president submits a written declaration to Speaker and President Pro tem that he can discharge his duties, he is president again.  Then Veep and majority of Trump's cabinet has four days to say he can't do it.  Then both houses convene and take up to 21 days to decide it and takes a 2/3 vote of both House and Senate.

Ain't going to happen!

I don't expect it from Pence.....

but Schumer, Pelosi  or Judiciary committee members could, at least, BRING UP THE SUBJECT

:huh:

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

but Schumer, Pelosi  or Judiciary committee members could, at least, BRING UP THE SUBJECT

Bring the subject up?   For what reason if they can't impact anything?    

Attacking Pence for not invoking the 25th amendment will only increase his political power.

Impeachment of Trump will only increase his political power. 

There's a debate to be had about the utility or political risk of impeaching a lame duck president 17 days before he leaves office, but what Trump did on that phone call is absolutely an impeachable offense
and one that we should draw a line in the sand over for future presidents
Perhaps a more sensible approach would be to formally censure Trump,
but *something* official needs to be done to make clear that such corrupt, illegal, authoritarian conduct will result in formal consequences.
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, mr6666 said:

Democratic Sen. Dick Durbin, the second-ranking Senate Democrat, says President Trump's call with Georgia Secretary of State

"merits nothing less than a criminal investigation."

“It’s gonna be costly to you.”

I’ve charged extortion in mob cases with similar language.
34 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Not sure what good that would do.  What do they do go on TV and say Pence and his cabinet should invoke the 25th Amendment.  Not a good idea.

19 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

There's a debate to be had about the utility or political risk of impeaching a lame duck president 17 days before he leaves office, but what Trump did on that phone call is absolutely an impeachable offense
and one that we should draw a line in the sand over for future presidents
Perhaps a more sensible approach would be to formally censure Trump,
but *something* official needs to be done to make clear that such corrupt, illegal, authoritarian conduct will result in formal consequences.

I agree with this.  Of course it is just for show, but Trump would go down in history as the only president to be impeached twice.

It also might put a scare into other GOPers such that they might back away from Trump.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

“It’s gonna be costly to you.”

I’ve charged extortion in mob cases with similar language.

......25/ Trump has called himself "the nation's chief law enforcement officer."
He believes himself to be so.
And in this call he warns Raffensperger—"I'm notifying you"—that he's putting himself at "risk" of federal prosecution by Trump's DOJ if he doesn't change the election result.
·
.......26/ This call is incredible. I've never heard anything like it. The Ukraine call was so impeachable and criminal I wrote a whole book about it and all the crimes that surrounded it (Proof of Corruption, Macmillan, 2020) but this goes even straighter to the heart of our democracy...........

35/ Trump explicitly raises a) the value of his endorsement to Georgia GOP officials, and b) how the removal of his good favor ends the career of a Georgia GOP official.

He says this while trying to coerce *a Georgia GOP official* into committing a federal election crime.
Jesus.

• Thanks 1

It will be much more interesting now when the Republicans force a debate on Wednesday.  They should be careful for what they have wished for.

• Like 1
QSseprAZ_bigger.png

You can’t criminally charge a president, that’s what impeachment is for. You can’t remove a president with impeachment, that’s what elections are for. The president is trying to overturn the election? OK, but you can’t charge or impeach him for that. Rinse, repeat.
  • Confused 2

There are just 13 more days (12 and a half really).

They should be concerned about what will happen if he instigates some other bizarre coup on the 20th and refuses to vacate the White House.

He's completely un-American. A dangerous man that belongs in prison or else in a psych ward. I can't decide which.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
My tenant who rents my guest house told his friends to break into my house.
They broke a bunch of **** but thankfully weren't successful in occupying it, and I got out in time.

His lease is up on January 20th anyway,
so should I let him finish up his lease
or kick him out now?

:rolleyes:

Impeachment Strategy:

Impeach Donald Trump in the House this week.

Mitch McConnell in not likely to bring the Senate back before January the 19th leaving this to the new Congress.

The Democrat controlled Senate sets a date for the trial some weeks down the line after Joe Biden's cabinet are confirmed.  This will give Donald Trump time to form his defence.

After the trial the vote in the Senate on impeachment requires two thirds majority.

Then separately vote to ban Donald Trump from ever holding a federal office again which only requires a majority.  Presto, no more Donald Trump in 2024.  This can be done.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Impeachment Strategy:

Impeach Donald Trump in the House this week.

Mitch McConnell in not likely to bring the Senate back before January the 19th leaving this to the new Congress.

The Democrat controlled Senate sets a date for the trial some weeks down the line after Joe Biden's cabinet are confirmed.  This will give Donald Trump time to form his defence.

After the trial the vote in the Senate on impeachment requires two thirds majority.

Then separately vote to ban Donald Trump from ever holding a federal office again which only requires a majority.  Presto, no more Donald Trump in 2024.  This can be done.

Requires 2/3 of those present.  Therefore, the Republicans who do not wish to make a public stand can sit it out.

56 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Requires 2/3 of those present.  Therefore, the Republicans who do not wish to make a public stand can sit it out.

True.  But maybe you missed my point.  Trump will be out of office in any event by that time.

More importantly the vote to bar him from holding a federal public office in the future is completely separate and not dependant on the removal from office part of the impeachment.  And it only requires a simple majority.  I saw this on a Canadian News channel that had an American Constitutional expert on as a guest.

I'm surprised that CNN and others have not picked up on this as it seems to me that this could be an outcome that would satisfy most and make the Impeachment vote in the House a worthwhile thing to do.  Trump could never hold office again so why keep him on as the leader of the GOP, which is insane anyway.

• Thanks 1

Strictly from a Dem party political perspective,   Trump having the ability to run for a Federal office,   could really help the Dems hold onto the power they have.    It keeps Trump more relevant with Republicans voters and his supporters,  which further divides the GOP.       

Again,  only from a political perspective.    If McConnell agrees to push for conviction,   I say,   impeach,  convict, and ensure this demagogue can't ever again, hold a Federal office.

• Like 2
  • NipkowDisc changed the title to Donald Trump, the best U.S. President anyone has ever seen, Acquitted a 2nd time