Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bogie56

The Trump Impeachment(s)

18 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Then he must get three other GOPer senators to agree to join with the Dem senators on preparing rules that allow the subpoenaing of witnesses and that the Dems get to pick four.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Then he must get three other GOPer senators to agree to join with the Dem senators on preparing rules that allow the subpoenaing of witnesses and that the Dems get to pick four.

But does Mitch McConnell still control what is even allowed to come to the floor for a vote in the impeachment trial?  Apparently there are plenty of bills from Congress that they think would pass in the Senate but Mitch won't even let them come to a vote.  Is this going to be any different?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

But does Mitch McConnell still control what is even allowed to come to the floor for a vote in the impeachment trial?  Apparently there are plenty of bills from Congress that they think would pass in the Senate but Mitch won't even let them come to a vote.  Is this going to be any different?

What info (data,  evidence),  do you have that there are bills that were passed by the House,  that had enough GOP votes for approval in the Senate,   that McConnell  is holding up?

(by enough GOP votes,  I mean when added to the Dems voters,  assuming 99% of Dem Senators would vote "YES").

I know of none.            

As it relates to Impeachment;  yea,   there are some GOP Senators that appear willing to buck McConnell,   but on House Dem passed legislation?      Nope,  GOP Senators are in lock-step there. 

I have heard of 400+ bills passed by the House in the past year.  While I can’t tell you specifics, many were passed by bipartisan majorities, and would most likely have the same outcome if the Senate were allowed to vote for them.   You cannot assume they would all be strictly partisan votes.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

What info (data,  evidence),  do you have that there are bills that were passed by the House,  that had enough GOP votes for approval in the Senate,   that McConnell  is holding up?

(by enough GOP votes,  I mean when added to the Dems voters,  assuming 99% of Dem Senators would vote "YES").

I know of none.            

As it relates to Impeachment;  yea,   there are some GOP Senators that appear willing to buck McConnell,   but on House Dem passed legislation?      Nope,  GOP Senators are in lock-step there. 

Arturo's answer above may be better than mine.  I cannot cite the specifics but I have heard the democrats say on dozens and dozens of occasions that the bills I am referring to are completely bipartisan and they think they would easily pass.   Some of them are co-authored.

Don't hold me to it and discard what I have said above but maybe something to do with background checks, safeguarding elections or something even more innocuous.   They think they would get the votes but Mitch is not a moderate.

BUT having said all of this, this is beside the point.  We we talking about Mitch's control fo the TRIAL and will he even let votes happen.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Arturo said:

I have heard of 400+ bills passed by the House in the past year.  While I can’t tell you specifics, many were passed by bipartisan majorities, and would most likely have the same outcome if the Senate were allowed to vote for them.   You cannot assume they would all be strictly partisan votes.

You are being mislead by typical House leader talking-points.     Both sides,  when they have a majority in the House,  always claim legislation is "bipartisan" and thus "moderate".     

The few bills the House did pass with a "robust" bipartisan majority  (e.g.  30% or more of GOP House members voting along with Dems)  were voted on and passed in the Senate.

I'm sure there are a FEW bills that McConnell held back that would have received support from 4 - 5 GOP Senators (enough along with Dems) and thus would have passed.      Few,  like in a handful.

PS:  In addition Trump would just veto these bills which just shows friction within the GOP.       Thus supporting why McConnell doesn't push these bills forward.   McConnell is just doing what Reid did.     

19 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

So if John Bolton, an eyewitness to some of the events leading to Donald Trump’s impeachment, wishes to testify as to what he witnessed, why doesn’t McConnell and the other GOP members want to let him?  Because they know actual eyewitnesses, if they were to tell the truth, would sink Trump’s defense of a perfect crime and no wrongdoing.  Then they would have no choice but to vote to remove the president.  If they don’t, they would have the non-MAGA 60% hold them accountable in November.

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

The rules for the trial require only a 51 vote.  Once passed there is not a lot McConnell can do to stop them from being acted upon.  As for what he has done in other actions, that was based on the existing rules that gave him those powers.  My understanding is that this is different because there are no rules regarding calling new witnesses and so forth.  This is only the third time a president  has been impeached.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

You are being mislead by typical House leader talking-points.     Both sides,  when they have a majority in the House,  always claim legislation is "bipartisan" and thus "moderate".     

The few bills the House did pass with a "robust" bipartisan majority  (e.g.  30% or more of GOP House members voting along with Dems)  were voted on and passed in the Senate.

I'm sure there are a FEW bills that McConnell held back that would have received support from 4 - 5 GOP Senators (enough along with Dems) and thus would have passed.      Few,  like in a handful.

PS:  In addition Trump would just veto these bills which just shows friction within the GOP.       Thus supporting why McConnell doesn't push these bills forward.   McConnell is just doing what Reid did.     

I also do not have specifics, but I have heard mentioned on the media over the last couple of years that there are a significant number of bills that McConnell will not let the Senate vote upon.  Two reasons.  First. there would be enough moderate GOPers to vote with Dems to pass them.  Second, it would be politically embarrassing (if not dangerous) for some GOPers to have to vote against some of the bills.

Not to mention the debates would give the Dems plenty of opportunity for publicity and media coverage even if they lost.

Which is really why McConnell does not want to open the trial up to more witnesses, questioning, debate and so forth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Seth Abramson

@SethAbramson

·

2h

Replying to

@SethAbramson

PS/ Look at what's happened in just the 20 days the articles have been held:

Bolton Reveals He Has Inculpatory Evidence on Trump

Bolton Agrees to Testify

White House Concedes It's Withholding 20 Key Emails

House Tells Federal Court New Articles Could Emerge

Trump Fumes.............

PS3/ Trump's former top NatSec official revealed he has inculpatory evidence about the president

and a majority of the Senate said, "We can't hear his testimony because the House didn't get it."

That vote virtually *compels* the House—as a matter of process—to continue its probe.

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1215023006117969923

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Pelosi was on this morning sounding increasingly lame  and desperate. senator Dianne Feinstein is trying to warn her to back out of this mistake before it really starts hurting democrats.

she and her two fellow schtootzes little shifty and the gonad cannot face the realities that their sick fanciful dream will go no farther with a GOP-controlled senate.

:D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

This is why President Trump was impeached for obstruction of Congress,
and why a Senate trial with no witnesses or documents is a cover-up.

EOPFrZCX4AAXuy6?format=jpg&name=900x900

All of this may be true, but McConnell will push it through very quickly with no witnesses, no new documents, nothing new.  The GOP senators who some think may vote to call for witnesses will ultimately toe the line and let McConnell do as he pleases.  Maybe one or two defections, but not the necessary four.   

Giuliani sought private meeting with Ukrainian president, documents show

The records, released by the House Democrats, also appear to show that former Ukraine Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch was being monitored.

" In my capacity as personal counsel to President Trump and with his knowledge and consent, I request a meeting with you ...."

.........Yovanovitch's physical movements were being tracked in real time, along with her computer and phone use.

"She under heavy protection outside Kiev," Parnas is told in one exchange. "They are moving her tomorrow," the person says in another message.

Hyde, whose campaign website says he's a former Marine and Iraq war veteran, then sends an "update" saying "she will not be moved" and "special security unit upgraded force on the compound." He tells Parnas on March 27, "we have a person on the inside."...........

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/trump-impeachment-inquiry/giuliani-sought-private-meeting-ukrainian-president-documents-show-n1115691?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

• Sad 1

On 1/14/2020 at 6:45 PM, mr6666 said:

The House Intelligence, Oversight and Foreign Affairs Committees just transmitted additional evidence to be used as part of a Senate impeachment trial.

These documents demonstrate that there is more evidence relevant to the President’s scheme:

https://intelligence.house.gov/news/documents

:huh:

So, assume McConnell and the GOPers stay on track to not have substantial new evidence or witness testimony, if any, and then vote not to convict Trump.  Will the House impeach Trump again with the new witnesses and evidence?  Not likely.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

So, assume McConnell and the GOPers stay on track to not have substantial new evidence or witness testimony, if any, and then vote not to convict Trump.  Will the House impeach Trump again with the new witnesses and evidence?  Not likely.

One would think it would be "not likely" but this is impossible for me to predict.    Since the leading Dems knew that a GOP majority Senate would never convict Trump the main reason for "this" was to expose Trump and the GOP leading up to the 2020 election.        

So at a minimum after the Trump is not convicted,  the Dems at least will hold more and more public hearings dangling the possibility of another impeachment.  

• Like 3