Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dayum, CRITICS are SPITTING FIRE over CATS: THE MOVIE

7 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I personally feel that Faye Dunaway should have been up for an Oscar, because she did an excellent job, much more nuanced than reputation might suggest.

As someone who knows of what he speaks, Dunaway’s performance in this movie is, to me, the most accurate depiction of someone struggling with bipolar disorder that I have seen.

Sometimes when I’m having one of my manic episodes, I honestly say to myself “BARBARA, PLEEEEEASE!!!!” in order to remember that I need to get a **** grip on myself.

4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

As someone who knows of what he speaks, Dunaway’s performance in this movie is, to me, the most accurate depiction of someone struggling with bipolar disorder that I have seen.

Sometimes when I’m having one of my manic episodes, I honestly say to myself “BARBARA, PLEEEEEASE!!!!” in order to remember that I need to get a **** grip on myself.

In fact, if I had to rank, I'd have her as my runner-up for Best Actress in 1981. If I had to make a lineup,  it would look like this. 

1. Bernadette Peters/Pennies from Heaven
  2. Faye Dunaway/Mommie Dearest
  3. Kathleen Turner/Body Heat
  4. Marsha Mason/Only When I Laugh
  5. Meryl Streep/The French Lieutenant's Woman
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I personally feel that Faye Dunaway should have been up for an Oscar, because she did an excellent job, much more nuanced than reputation might suggest.

Anyway you look at it, "Mommie Dearest" is a good film-- it's a good representation of the book and you can take it as a satirical take off too if you want to.

I like the production values and the casting was more than adequate--considering their budget concerns.

I never had any real interest in Joan Crawford, but I read the book because of my interest in old Hollywood--the film is a good adaptation of it.

Faye Dunaway's role was a thankless job, but so unbelievably grotesque and realistic that it repelled a lot of the audience and critics.

That was very unfair to the actress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I am genuinely OFFENDED that MOMMIE DEAREST is on this list. I mean I admit how some people could think it was maybe a somewhat mediocre film purely on mechanics and the disappointing ending, but I mean c’mon: ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!?!

I love Mommie Dearest.  Personally, I empathized with Joan.  Christina sucked.

4 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Interesting card to sell

mommie_dearest-mother_s_day-greeting_car

I would get that card for my BFF.  I'd cross out "Mother's" and replace it with "Birth." Lol.

15 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I love Mommie Dearest.  Personally, I empathized with Joan.  Christina sucked.

10 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I KNOW, RIGHT?!?!?!

Every time that Mothers Day rolls around, photos like this make rounds on the internet.

uLz2gEu.png

• Haha 2

'Dolittle': What the Critics Are Saying

"........Newsday's Rafer Guzman ...... calling the film "elaborately staged but charmless." Guzman also took issue with Downey's portrayal of Dr. Dolittle, explaining, "As for Downey, his Dolittle is one weird creation — not in an inspired, Gene-Wilder-as-Willie-Wonka way, but in a baffling, Johnny-Depp-as-Mortdecai way. He's a bit of this, a bit of that: a fun-loving kook and surly recluse in a tie-dyed vest. For some reason, Downey has also made the character Welsh, a nationality that, to my American mind, conjures up absolutely nothing. Did Downey just want to have a challenging accent? And is that why all his lines seem to have been re-dubbed? He's the only actor in the film whose tone and volume never vary from a low, close mumble."

The Chicago Sun-Times' Richard Roeper went as far as to brand Dolittle "the first serious contender for Wasted Opportunity of the Decade." Roeper elaborated, "The adventures at sea and on the islands play out like low-rent, animal-centric scenes from a Pirates of the Caribbean movie. By the time the doc endures massive dragon flatulence while performing emergency surgery on the fire-breathing creature, Dolittle has solidified its standing as a spectacularly terrible multi-vehicle pileup."...........

The Guardian's Benjamin Lee first revisits the checkered history of the film's postproduction schedule, which included reshoots and missed release dates, noting that he "doesn't much care for the end product, but it's not as hideous as that potted history might suggest, an average film rather than an atrocious one, a minuscule yet meaningful victory for Universal, still licking its wounds after Cats." The critic goes on to give the opinion that the animals are "far less nightmarish" [than those in Cats], while the film is "less memorable." Speaking to the plot, which he describes in his review as "convoluted" and "silly," ..........

— which currently sits at a 17 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dolittle-review-roundup-what-critics-are-saying-1269945

• Thanks 2
On 1/17/2020 at 5:54 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Every time that Mothers Day rolls around, photos like this make rounds on the internet.

uLz2gEu.png

Not mommie Dearest related but other types of photos that appear on the internet sometimes really put a spin on the lyrics of the Carpenters hit "Close to You"

82865938_1263650200501746_55801223138456

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
7 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Not mommie Dearest related but other types of photos that appear on the internet sometimes really put a spin on the lyrics of the Carpenters hit "Close to You"

82865938_1263650200501746_55801223138456

I THINK YOU’RE EVIL! EVIL!!!

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I actually found it while scanning my feed on Facebook. Could not resist sharing it.

After I saw this, I suddenly had visions of that episode of The Simpsons when Marge has a fancy doorbell installed that plays the "why do birds..." song.  The doorbell gets stuck and the song won't stop playing, and subsequently drives her and Lisa insane. 

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The official Razzie nominations were announced today. Unsurprisingly, Cats leads with the most noms.

40th Annual Golden Raspberry (Razzie®) Award Nominations

WORST PICTURE
Cats
The Fanatic 
The Haunting of Sharon Tate
A Madea Family Funeral
Rambo: Last Blood

WORST ACTOR
James Franco / Zeroville
David Harbour / Hellboy (2019)
Matthew McConaughey / Serenity
Sylvester Stallone / Rambo: Last Blood
John Travolta / The Fanatic & Trading Paint

WORST ACTRESS 
Hilary Duff / The Haunting of Sharon Tate
Anne Hathaway / The Hustle & Serenity
Francesca Hayward / Cats
Tyler Perry (As Medea) A Madea Family Funeral
Rebel Wilson / The Hustle

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS 
Jessica Chastain / Dark Phoenix 
Cassi Davis / A Madea Family Funeral 
Judi Dench / Cats 
Fenessa Pineda / Rambo: First Blood 
Rebel Wilson / Cats 

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR 
 James Corden / Cats
Tyler Perry / A Madea Family Funeral (as “Joe”)
Tyler Perry / A Madea Family Funeral (as "Uncle Heathrow")
Seth Rogan / Zeroville 
Bruce Willis / Glass  

WORST SCREEN COMBO 
Any Two Half-Feline/Half-Human Hairballs / Cats
Jason Derulo & His CGI-Neutered “Bulge” / Cats
Tyler Perry & Tyler Perry (or Tyler Perry) A Madea Family Funeral 
Sylvester Stallone & His Impotent Rage / Rambo: Last Blood 
John Travolta & Any Screenplay He Accepts

WORST DIRECTOR 
Fred Durst / The Fanatic
James Franco / Zeroville
Adrian Grunberg / Rambo: Last Blood
Tom Hooper / Cats
Neil Marshall / Hellboy (2019)

WORST SCREENPLAY 
Cats / Screenplay by Lee Hall and Tom Hooper 
The Haunting of Sharon Tate / Written by Danial Farrands
Hellboy (2019) Screenplay by Andrew Cosby 
A Madea Family Funeral / Written by Tyler Perry 
Rambo: Last Blood / Screenplay by Matthew Cirulnick and Sylvester Stallone

WORST REMAKE, RIP-OFF or SEQUEL
Dark Phoenix 
Godzilla, King of the Monsters
Hellboy (2019)
A Madea Family Funeral 

WORST RECKLESS DISREGARD for HUMAN LIFE and PUBLIC PROPERTY
(New Category for 2019)
Dragged Across Concrete 
The Haunting of Sharon Tate
Hellboy (2019)
Joker

RAZZIE® REDEEMER AWARD 
Eddie Murphy / Dolemite Is My Name
Keanu Reeves / John Wick 3 & Toy Story 4
Adam Sandler / Uncut Gems
Jennifer Lopez / Hustlers 
Will Smith / Aladdin  

• Thanks 1

I've never seen the "Razzie Redeemer Award" before.  Are these people whom the Razzies have previously made fun of, but now think they turned in a good performance? I keep getting J.Lo's movie mixed up with Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson's. 

6 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I've never seen the "Razzie Redeemer Award" before.  Are these people whom the Razzies have previously made fun of, but now think they turned in a good performance? I keep getting J.Lo's movie mixed up with Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson's. 

Yeah, the Redeemer Award is what you suspected. It was introduced in 2014. Prior winners include Ben Affleck ("redeemed" by Argo & Gone Girl), Sylvester Stallone (Creed), Mel Gibson (Hacksaw Ridge), "A Safe Hollywood Haven" (a #MeToo nod), and Melissa McCarthy (Can You Ever Forgive Me?).

I saw Hustlers and liked it more than I expected to. I did not see The Hustle, a needless remake of Bedtime Story/Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

• Like 1

https://themuse.jezebel.com/visual-effects-artists-arent-here-for-your-cats-jokes-1841598327

article quote: "After the Oscars, one of the artists who worked for Moving Picture Company, the now-shuttered company that worked on Cats, tweeted, “Hey guys I haven’t watched all of the Oscars but I assume these two were really classy and thanked me for working 80 hour weeks right up until I was laid off and the studio closed, right?”