Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dayum, CRITICS are SPITTING FIRE over CATS: THE MOVIE

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

WOW. For the same film?

No, different films, but it was still an eye-opening experience.... but there were two people who actually were up for an Oscar and a Razzie for the same performance in the same film, and both times the Razzies overreacted. They were both good performances (both were in the early 80s)

2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

No, different films, but it was still an eye-opening experience.... but there were two people who actually were up for an Oscar and a Razzie for the same performance in the same film, and both times the Razzies overreacted. They were both good performances (both were in the early 80s)

I know one was James Coco in “only when I laugh”, but I don’t know what the other one is.

7 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Amy Irving in Yentl.

REALLY?!?!

That seems...uncalled for.

(Maybe Spielberg launched a shadow campaign or something?)

EDIT- Never mind their divorce didn’t even happen for another two years.

I saw Only When I Laugh in the theater maybe 3 times (mostly for Marsh Mason and Joan Hackett) and recall some reviews criticizing Jimmy Coco's performance as being too "stereotypical" and over-the-top. .  But I recall it being quite effective and humorous when necessary.

The performance that the NYT called out for being terrible in an otherwise extremely well-received film was that of Kristy McNichol.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Razzie Winners Announced - The annual ceremony was canceled due to coronavirus concerns, but they announced the "winners" today.

Worst Picture: Cats

Worst Actor: John Travolta, The Fanatic and Trading Paint

Worst Actress: Hilary Duff, The Haunting of Sharon Tate

Worst Supporting Actor: James Corden, Cats

Worst Supporting Actress: Rebel Wilson, Cats

Worst Screen Combo: Any Half-Human/Half-Feline Hairballs, Cats

Worst Director: Tom Hooper, Cats

Worst Screenplay: Lee Hall and Tom Hooper, Cats

Worst Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel: Rambo: Last Blood

Worst Reckless Disregard for Human Life and Public Property: Rambo: Last Blood

Razzie Redeemer Award: Eddie Murphy, Dolemite Is My Name

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Worst Supporting Actor: James Corden, Cats

Worst Supporting Actress: Rebel Wilson, Cats

I wonder if they had any advanced knowledge of this when they presented an award together in full cat outfits at the Oscars.

12 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I wonder if they had any advanced knowledge of this when they presented an award together in full cat outfits at the Oscars.

LOL. I wonder. Hasn't REVOLTA won the award before? I was expecting Stallone to get it. Does anyone know who votes for these awards? Is it a committee or what?

• Haha 1

Wikipedia says the awards are voted on by filmmakers and film buffs who represent every state and every continent except Antarctica. It's not as clear how one becomes a voting member.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

LOL. I wonder. Hasn't REVOLTA won the award before? I was expecting Stallone to get it. Does anyone know who votes for these awards? Is it a committee or what?

OMG! THIS WOULD MAKE THE BEST DRAG NAME!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Wikipedia says the awards are voted on by filmmakers and film buffs who represent every state and every continent except Antarctica. It's not as clear how one becomes a voting member.

LOL! I wonder how many are there.

14 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

14 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

OMG! THIS WOULD MAKE THE BEST DRAG NAME!!!!!!!!!!!

LMREO! I can't claim to originate it. I heard it years ago from an acquaintance of mine......

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

LOL. I wonder. Hasn't REVOLTA won the award before? 

Travolta was nominated for Staying Alive and Two of a Kind in 1983, for Perfect in 1985, for Domestic Disturbance and Swordfish in 2001, for Old Dogs in 2009, and for Gotti in 2018. He was also nominated for Worst Supporting Actor for Shout in 1991.

He "won" for Battlefield Earth and Lucky Numbers in 2000. 

Apparently, GOTTI is ESPECIALLY BAD. I read an online thread about MOVIES YOU HAVE WALKED OUT OF and I recall it was mentioned possibly two or three times. someone also mentioned they went to see it on a FIRST DATE, and after either walking out or suffering through it, they decidedly to never see one another again.

this surprises me somewhat, because at least on the face of things, it seems like TRAVOLTA would at the very least be a fit for the part.

edit- copy and pasted from the wikipedia page for GOTTI:

Reception

Box office

Gotti grossed $4.3 million in the United States, and $1.8 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $6.1 million, against a production budget of $10 million.[5]

Gotti began its limited release in 503 theaters and was projected to make $1–2 million in its opening weekend. It made $105,000 from Thursday night previews at 350 theaters and a total of $1.7 million in its opening weekend, finishing 12th.[13] According to their own reports, MoviePass accounted for 40% of tickets sold, leading one independent studio head to tell Deadline Hollywood: "It used to be in distribution, we'd all gossip whether a studio was buying tickets to their own movie to goose their opening. But in the case of MoviePass, there's no secret: They're literally buying the tickets to their own movie!"[30] In its second weekend the film dropped 53% and made $812,000, finishing 12th.[31]

Critical response

Gotti was not screened in advance for critics,[32] but the Cannes premiere was attended by reviewers from IndieWire and The Hollywood Reporter, who both gave the film negative reviews.[33] On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, with 55 reviews, the film has a rare approval rating of 0% – meaning no favorable reviews whatsoever – receiving an average rating of 2.06/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "Fuhgeddaboudit."[34] On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 24 out of 100, based on reviews from 16 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".[35]

Jordan Mintzer of The Hollywood Reporter gave the film a negative review, writing: "... it's not only that the film is pretty terrible: poorly written, devoid of tension, ridiculous in spots and just plain dull in others. But the fact that it mostly portrays John Gotti as a loving family man and altogether likable guy, and his son John Gotti Jr. as a victim of government persecution, may be a first in the history of the genre."[4] The New York Post's Johnny Oleksinski called the film "the worst mob movie of all-time" and wrote, "... the long-awaited biopic about the Gambino crime boss' rise from made man to top dog, took four directors, 44 producers and eight years to make. It shows. The finished product belongs in a cement bucket at the bottom of the river."[36] Writing for Rolling Stone, Peter Travers gave the film one out of four stars and said, "Insane testimonials from Gotti supporters at the end are as close as this [film] will ever get to good reviews."[37]

Rotten Tomatoes controversy

Observers were quick to note a large disparity on Rotten Tomatoes, between the audience approval score of 80% and the 0% critics' score during the film's opening weekend.[38][39][40][41][42] As of December 30, 2019, the audience score was down 34 points to a score of 47%.[34]

On June 19, Dan Murrell of Screen Junkies noted that the disparity "made no sense" and suspected vote manipulation on behalf of the studio.[39] Accusations against the production studio and marketing team increased after the release of a marketing push suspected to be trying to hit back at the critics. The campaign proclaimed to consumers to ignore the "... trolls behind a keyboard",[42] and "Audiences loved Gotti but critics don't want you to see it... The question is why??? Trust the people and see it for yourself!"[38][41][39][40] Observers also noted the abnormally high number of reviews, 7,000, compared to other films that did better at the box office that weekend, such as Incredibles 2 which logged 7,600 reviews and grossed 105 times more than Gotti.[39][41]

Rotten Tomatoes staff issued a statement stating they didn't find any evidence of tampering and that "All of the ratings and reviews were left by active accounts."[42] As of June 19, 32 of the 54 written reviews were found to be from first-time reviewers on the site, who had also only left a review for Gotti itself, and 45 of the accounts were created the same month.[39] Many of the accounts also wrote a review for American Animals, which along with Gotti are the only films to be owned by MoviePass through its company MoviePass Ventures,[39][41] which was responsible for 40% of tickets sold.[30] Jim Vorel of Paste suggested this was done to try to prop up MoviePass's "unlimited movies" business model.[39]

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

Frankly, the one time i thought Travolta gave a very entertaining performance was the time that he was in drag: Hairspray in 2007. 

I didn’t see the entire movie, but to be honest with you I disliked nearly all the performances in it.
Michelle Pfeiffer was the only person in it who I thought was all right, maybe Whoever was played Corny Collins too. 
And I absolutely understand why Amanda Bynes is film career went absolutely nowhere WOOF!

Frankly, the one time i thought Travolta gave a very entertaining performance was the time that he was in drag: Hairspray in 2007. 

He wasn't as good as Harvey though...

• Thanks 1

By the way, Judi Dench's reaction to being up for a Razzie

“Oh, am I? That would be good! As far as I know, that’s a first!”

- Judi Dench, finding out about her Worst Supporting Actress #Razzie nomination for #Cats.

LOL!