Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dayum, CRITICS are SPITTING FIRE over CATS: THE MOVIE

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It’s “PYUUUUUUUUUUUTRESCENCE!!!!”,

but yes. 
God Bless her, I really do think she’s the best character in the movie, and it’s not a movie that lacks for great characters.

Yes. She's one of my favorites.

I think my favorite character is the Impressive Clergyman.

"Mawage is wot bwings us togeder today. Mawage, that dweam wifin a dweam.... And wuv, tru wuv, will fowow you foweva... So tweasure your wuv." 

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Now that I’ve heard what a TRAINWRECK it is, I’m interested. 
(I have issues)

If we lived closer together, I’d totally go see it with you. Lol. 

Does anyone remember the plot involvement of CATS in the play and movie version of Six Degrees of Separation?  Will Smith's character,  pretending to be Sidney Poitier's son promises to cast the Kittredge  family as extras in a movie version of the play his father will be directing.

Stockard Channing (Ouisa):  " It seems the common thread linking us all is an overwhelming need to be in the move of Cats."

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Does anyone remember the plot involvement of CATS in the play and movie version of Six Degrees of Separation?  Will Smith's character,  pretending to be Sidney Poitier's son promises to cast the Kittredge  family as extras in a movie version of the play his father will be directing.

Stockard Channing (Ouisa):  " It seems the common thread linking us all is an overwhelming need to be in the move of Cats."

Roy, I was just thinking the same thing.  Someone should show the two movies as a double feature. Maybe the TCM Film Festival could show Six Degrees of Separation this coming April, with Stockard Channing and Anthony Michael Hall as guests, even if Will Smith and Donald Sutherland aren't available.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

The cats themselves are just so weird.  They have human faces, but cat bodies and cat ears. 

Why do the female cats have human breasts? 

I don't want to sound like an expert, because I've only read one review, but I believe the actors wore no cat-like makeup or costumes. All that was added digitally after filming.

CATS was also mentioned in an episode of Mad About You (Helen Hunt and Paul Reiser).

Helen fights with some guy over a cab.  She wins and gets in as the guy yells "But I have tickets to Cats!"

She says "What?  Like it's not going to be around next year?"

26 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I don't want to sound like an expert, because I've only read one review, but I believe the actors wore no cat-like makeup or costumes. All that was added digitally after filming.

The CGI costumes definitely hindered the overall look of the film.  Cats to me, seems campy.  They should have really gone for it and had everyone in cat makeup and costumes. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

I have a feeling that this could turn into one of those high camp movies to be seen with a group.  Like happened to Mommie Dearest after it opened.

Someone arrange a bus trip!

I'll bring snacks!

Let's face it though, this is the Batman and Robin of its generation. One might say Ishtar (which I liked) or Heaven's Gate, but those films have gone up in reputation over the years. Not sure this will happen here. This is a film where cats, mice, and even cockroaches have human faces, a film which, just like the Broadway show has no discernible story. It's Razzie bait. And, unless there are a lot of people who are morbidly curious, it will go down as one of the biggest loss makers in Universal's history. At one point, they were going to release the musical Wicked as a film this Christmas. If they had remained on that path, i assume things would be much easier for them at the moment.

Watching Cats Is Like a Descent Into Madness" — Collider

"But if it wasn’t enough to make the cats **** (why are they so ****), Hooper also feels the need to make it gross by having them dig through trash and play up their animal instincts," wrote Matt Goldberg. "Cats always feels like it’s two seconds away from turning into a furry **** in a dumpster. That’s the energy you have to sit with for almost two hours."

"Cats Review — A Purr-fectly Dreadful Hairball of Woe" — The Guardian

"The setting is London, it does look post-nuclear," wrote Peter Bradshaw. "There aren’t any people, so maybe there were Bomb blasts — or maybe a bio disaster, causing cat-human mutants with digital fur."

"Yes, Cats Is as Bad as It Looks" — AV Club

Ignatiy Vishnevetsky wrote: "Many of these effects appear unfinished, with noticeable differences in resolution and animation between principals and background characters and at least one instance in which a rendering error appears to have made it into the release version of the film."

Just now, Roy Cronin said:

I guess now the movie version of Glenn Close's Sunset Boulevard will be stopped dead in its non existent tracks.  The new death of the movie musical has been announced.

I don't know about that yet. If we hadn't had La La Land, Beauty and the Beast, The Greatest Showman, Bohemian Rhapsody, A Star is Born, Mamma Mia Here We Go Again,  Frozen II, The Lion King, Rocketman, Mary Poppins Returns, and Yesterday rake in profits, I might say yes. But all those were hits, some enormously so. Wait and see seems the best approach.

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yes, it looks to be the favorite for Worst Picture. I also think John Travolta will "win" for Worst Actor for The Fanatic. Any other Razzie predictions?

Judi Dench will probably take a razzie for Cats, because I noticed at least one singled her out for giving a bizarre performance. It's something I shiver to think of, an actress of her caliber getting one of those. But then again, I've seen some think that Meryl Streep will be razzie nominated for The Laundromat, which is even crazier.

14 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yes, it looks to be the favorite for Worst Picture. I also think John Travolta will "win" for Worst Actor for The Fanatic. Any other Razzie predictions?

Is The Fanatic the film that Fred Durst directed?

If this is the film I think it is, didn't it gross something like $700 ?

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

WTH???

14 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Judi Dench will probably take a razzie for Cats, because I noticed at least one singled her out for giving a bizarre performance. It's something I shiver to think of, an actress of her caliber getting one of those. But then again, I've seen some think that Meryl Streep will be razzie nominated for The Laundromat, which is even crazier.

What is THE LAUNDROMAT? A new movie coming out? Doesn't sound promising from the title!

Critical quotes from Metacritic:

Is it the worst film of 2019, or simply the most recent misfire of 2019? Reader, I swear on a stack of pancakes: “Cats” cannot be beat for sheer folly and misjudgment and audience-reaction-to-“Springtime for Hitler”-in-“The Producers” stupefaction. -- Chicago Tribune.

The problem is not that Cats makes no sense . . . nor that the performances are mediocre (most of them are quite good). The murder weapon is the galling CGI intended to cover the actors in head-to-toe feline fur. Instead, the animation detracts from the film’s capable performers and inventive surroundings, drawing the eye reluctantly in like the sight of a person vomiting in the middle of an amusement park. It makes for a slow death, so overwhelmingly grotesque that it ceases to be interesting at all. -- The Playlist

The only realistic way to fix Cats would be to spay it, or simply pretend it never happened. Because it's an all-time - a rare and star-spangled calamity. -- The Telegraph

It’s warbling warbling warbling piffle. -- The Guardian

This adaptation gets straight to the heart of the material, which is basically two hours of stray cats introducing themselves. -- Slant

I truly believe our divided nation can be healed and brought together as one by Cats — the musical, the movie, the disaster. In other news, my eyes are burning. -- The Boston Globe

Please wipe this movie from my “Memory.” -- New York Post

Tom Hooper’s jarring fever dream of a spectacle is like something that escaped from Dr. Moreau’s creature laboratory instead of a poet’s and a composer’s feline (uni)verse, an un-catty valley hybrid of physical and digital that unsettles and crashes way more often than it enchants. -- The Wrap

It's almost unfathomable that this one made it through all the preliminary production meetings without someone sensibly calling a halt to the process by saying, "Wait a minute, those kitties are d*** creepy! -- The Hollywood Reporter

Tom Hooper’s outlandishly tacky interpretation seems destined to become one of those once-in-a-blue-moon embarrassments that mars the résumés of great actors (poor Idris Elba, already scarred enough as the villainous Macavity) and trips up the careers of promising newcomers (like ballerina Francesca Hayward, whose wide-eyed, mouth-agape Victoria displays one expression for the entire movie). -- Variety

For the most part, Cats is both a horror and an endurance test, a dispatch from some neon-drenched netherworld where the ghastly is inextricable from the tedious. Every so often it does paws — ahem, pause — to rise to the level of a self-aware hoot. -- Los Angeles Times

Cats is a slick and tedious and weird-looking exercise in self-indulgence. -- Chicago Sun-Times

Of course, Cats has always been ridiculous, just as it has always been ridiculed. (“Cats is a dog,” declared a notorious review of the musical’s Broadway debut.) But Hooper can’t even get camp right. -- AV Club

“Cats” the movie is deeply, deeply weird, and not in a good way. -- The Seattle Times

• Haha 1