Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LornaHansonForbes

Dayum, CRITICS are SPITTING FIRE over CATS: THE MOVIE

I wonder how much say-so  LORD ANDREW OF LLOYD WEBER was given in the production of the film.

my mind went back this morning to the doomed-from-the-start 2004 film version of his PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, where (as I recall) he was given UNPRECEDENTED APPROVAL of ALL ELEMENTS of the film- which resulted in no changing of the arrangements (that pop-synthesizer version of the title track  was 1988 in its PUREST UNCUT FORM) an INEXCUSABLY LONG RUN TIME (HEY, LET'S ADD A WHOLE NEW NUMBER AT THE 2 HOUR 45 MINUTE MARK!) and allowing JOEL SCHUMACHER to once again foist his obsession with armored NIPPLES on the rest of us.

it was also VERY BADLY CAST.

16 hours ago, sagebrush said:

My dad, my sisters and I have tickets to see CATS on Dec 28th. My dad said "Anything that looks this bad has got to be great family entertainment!"

I predict we will probably be seeing the film on the TCM Underground schedule in about 20 years.😃

Probably less than that!

14 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Why do the cats wear human shoes?

Maybe they have CAT'S PAW brand heels on them.  ;) 

Or maybe---------------------------

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

APOLOGIES IF SOMEONE ELSE BROUGHT THIS UP,

But a couple of the reviews (the one from VARIETY for sure) mention REALLY GLARING MISTAKES IN THE CGI that were left in the FINAL CUT. Apparently, in one scene JUDI DENCH has a human hand with a wedding ring (HA!) and in the rest, she has paws. There is also a brief shot of an actress who has been colored gray but someone forgot to add the CGI FUR.

If one good thing comes out of this, it may be that CGI takes a backseat in future films...although, maybe not.

I noticed that the cat fur is spotty in a lot of the stills I've seen.

This whole issue could have been avoided had they just worn cat costumes and makeup. 

3 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Maybe they have CAT'S PAW brand heels on them.  ;) 

Or maybe---------------------------

Sepiatone

I didn't know that the CAT company made clothes! I thought they just made construction equipment.

7 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

This whole issue could have been avoided had they just worn cat costumes and makeup. 

ABSOLUTELY, BUT- I GUARANTEE YOU, there would have been MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR ISSUES costuming and make-upping some of these BIG STARS for like 10,000 different reasons.

IT surely made things SO MUCH EASIER to say "and you won't have to wear latex and lycra and dress like a sex clown- we'll do it all in CGI after. you can shoot in a green track suit for all they care.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sagebrush said:

My dad, my sisters and I have tickets to see CATS on Dec 28th. My dad said "Anything that looks this bad has got to be great family entertainment!"

I predict we will probably be seeing the film on the TCM Underground schedule in about 20 years.😃

I think I would possibly get it on Redbox, if I had a coupon for a free rental.

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ABSOLUTELY, BUT- I GUARANTEE YOU, there would have been MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR ISSUES costuming and make-upping some of these BIG STARS for like 10,000 different reasons.

IT surely made things SO MUCH EASIER to say "and you won't have to wear latex and lycra and dress like a sex clown- we'll do it all in CGI after. you can shoot in a green track suit for all they care.

Too bad they had to do such a poor job on the CGI.  If they can create the mountain ranges behind the Orient Express, or re-create space, why can't they put some realistic looking cat costumes on people?

The Snapchat cat filter looks better than this film.

AT THE RISK of derailing my own thread- and being NOT AT ALL WITHIN THE HOLIDAY SPIRIT- I'm going to once again invoke THE PRINCESS BRIDE HAG to say that I am really secretly quite happy thrilled that JAMES CORDEN and REBEL WILSON are in this because I aggressively dislike them both and am ashamed to know who either one of them is.

I also don't like JUDI DENCH and have not liked JUDI DENCH since everything she did after MRS BROWN. She doesn't act, she SCOWLS. She also made one too many films with WEINSTEIN for the sole purpose of getting A NOMINATION just so she could go to the bloody ceremony and look like she'd rather be off on Endor with the other Ewoks the whole bloody time.

edit- I get all Maggie Smith in CALIFORNIA SUITE in re: JUDI DENCH

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

AT THE RISK of derailing my own thread- and being NOT AT ALL WITHIN THE HOLIDAY SPIRIT- I'm going to once again invoke THE PRINCESS BRIDE HAG to say that I am really secretly quite happy thrilled that JAMES CORDEN and REBEL WILSON are in this because I aggressively dislike them both and am ashamed to know who either one of them is.

I also don't like JUDI DENCH and have not liked JUDI DENCH since everything she did after MRS BROWN. She doesn't act, she SCOWLS. She also made one too many films with WEINSTEIN for the sole purpose of getting A NOMINATION just so she could go and SCOWL and look like she'd rather be off on Endor with the other Ewoks.

I like Rebel Wilson in Pitch Perfect.  Other than that, to me, she and Corden both seem to have one shtick.  

DAME Judi Dench seems to be revered as this great actress.  I honestly do not know of anything she's in, other than playing M in the James Bond movies with Daniel Craig.  Maybe her scowl is a result of "resting b face." She doesn't mean to scowl, that's just how her face looks. Lol.

8 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Too bad they had to do such a poor job on the CGI.  If they can create the mountain ranges behind the Orient Express, or re-create space, why can't they put some realistic looking cat costumes on people?

The Snapchat cat filter looks better than this film.

BUT THOSE mountains don't have to move and dance and always remember "nipples to the sky."

• Haha 1

Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

BUT THOSE mountains don't have to move and dance and always remember "nipples to the sky."

If Cats has given us anything, it's to always remember "nipples to the sky."  This is a mantra that you can take through life!

4 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I like Rebel Wilson in Pitch Perfect.  Other than that, to me, she and Corden both seem to have one shtick.  

DAME Judi Dench seems to be revered as this great actress.  I honestly do not know of anything she's in, other than playing M in the James Bond movies with Daniel Craig.  Maybe her scowl is a result of "resting b face." She doesn't mean to scowl, that's just how her face looks. Lol.

well, she used to be a quite genuine and multi-faceted actress, take for example her small part in A ROOM WITH A VIEW, but ever since MRS BROWN (where I did like her) she has this tendency to play dour, humorless, brittle types- in short, she always seems to not want to be in whatever particular movie she was in that i was watching (MRS HENDERSON PRESENTS, the awful PRIDE AND PREJUDICE REMAKE, the BOND movies, CHOCOLAT, NOTES ON A SCANDAL)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

If Cats has given us anything, it's to always remember "nipples to the sky."  This is a mantra that you can take through life!

IT REALLY IS, ISN'T IT?

WOULD BE PERFECT FOR A GRAVESTONE.

• Haha 1

Yesterday, I reached post 9,000. I know have 9045.  I know at least 3/4 of those new posts are about Cats

• Haha 2

IT REALLY IS, ISN'T IT?

WOULD BE PERFECT FOR A GRAVESTONE.

What a great direction to give in your funeral arrangements.  "Remember, to arch my back in the coffin--nipples to the sky!"

I did not see IRIS or PHILOMINA (sp?) though...

I feel like Judi Dench is like Meryl Streep.  She's nominated just for appearing in the film--regardless if she was actually worthy or not.

Meryl Streep should have been in Cats

1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

Meryl Streep should have been in Cats

I am SURE she was offered but someone had the Good GD sense to say "gosh, she's just off INTO THE WOODS, to jump into another musical. would be too much for her right now."

• Haha 1

I am SURE she was offered but someone had the Good GD sense to say "gosh, she's just off INTO THE WOODS, to jump into another musical. would be too much for her right now."

"Mamma Mia! Meryl Streep does not have time to appear in Cats.  She's too busy at The Laundromat."

Just now, speedracer5 said:

What a great direction to give in your funeral arrangements.  "Remember, to arch my back in the coffin--nipples to the sky!"

I just wanna be buried with my hind end sticking up out of the ground so visitors will have somewhere to park their bikes!  ;)

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, filmnoirguy said:

I'll bet the French will like it.

"Mon Dieu! Wee have not seen such-uh GENIUS sinc-eh JERREE LEWEES!"

(makes air kiss)

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I also don't like JUDI DENCH and have not liked JUDI DENCH since everything she did after MRS BROWN. She doesn't act, she SCOWLS. She also made one too many films with WEINSTEIN for the sole purpose of getting A NOMINATION just so she could go to the bloody ceremony and look like she'd rather be off on Endor with the other Ewoks the whole bloody time.

edit- I get all Maggie Smith in CALIFORNIA SUITE in re: JUDI DENCH

LOL! I'm sick of Judy Dench as well. WHY does she get all the good old lady roles? People like Angela Lansbury sit around waiting for gigs and she gets everything!

• Thanks 2