Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LornaHansonForbes

Dayum, CRITICS are SPITTING FIRE over CATS: THE MOVIE

As the stench from CATS spreads over Hollywood it'll probably cancel out pre-production musicals like the long-awaited SUNSET BOULEVARD.

On 12/19/2019 at 10:49 PM, speedracer5 said:

I definitely don't want Lorna's wonderful thread to deviate into a discussion on fetishes and have it shut down... but are "plushies" people who want to be "romantic" with stuffed animals ?

Yes, plushies want to be "romantic" with stuffed animals.

They are often lumped into the same group as "furries," but there is very little overlap between the two groups. One survey of the furry community reported that less than 1% of furries also were plushies. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, UMO1982 said:

As the stench from CATS spreads over Hollywood it'll probably cancel out pre-production musicals like the long-awaited SUNSET BOULEVARD.

So please try to play up the "Creepy/silly-looking CGI" jokes in public, so that that's what ends up attached to the movie's legacy, and not studios' voodoo-chicken-bones attempt to blame everything except the movie itself.  We want to make sure there's no confusion, and Universal is very frequently confused.

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said: 

I wonder how much say-so  LORD ANDREW OF LLOYD WEBER was given in the production of the film.

Not much--Fortunately, his own production company had a hand in creating the '98 stage concert direct-video, as well as the Joseph/Dreamcoat one, and a Jesus Christ Superstar one that was better than that TV thing.

I like Rebel Wilson in Pitch Perfect.  Other than that, to me, she and Corden both seem to have one shtick.  

Now and Forever--The stylistic costumes, the writhing choreography, the dreamlike Webber music...and then Rebel Wilson shows up to do bad Melissa McCarthy obnoxious-fat-girl comedy-relief that wasn't in the original.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I did not see IRIS or PHILOMINA (sp?) though...

She was actually quite open and charming in Philomena as a simple, cheerful woman. Also had the biggest laugh of any 2013 film when her character said that she wanted to see Big Momma's House on on demand video.

• Thanks 1

Opening weekend box office prediction from Variety:

Universal’s “Cats,” however, appears to have been undone by the scalding social media buzz and abysmal reviews. The adaptation of the hit Andrew Lloyd Webber musical is stumbling out of the gate and on pace to earn a pallid $8.5 million. That’s far less than the $15 million to $17 million that it was initially projected to rack up and it’s a poor start for a film that carries a roughly $100 million price tag. The week of Christmas is one of the busiest times for movie-going, so it’s possible that “Cats” could still draw moviegoers who are looking for some family-friendly entertainment over the coming days, but this weak start puts the movie in a dangerous position.

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, UMO1982 said:

In the Heights and the new West Side Story are due in 2020, and many other big musicals have worked out. Wait and see.

38 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76111f481fdb53afad9678

Okay, now you've got me seeing that Terry Gilliam-toon from the Monty Python sketch:

4c2999b8508405abc641cd2dc8ce0dc8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/19/2019 at 3:43 PM, LawrenceA said:

Yes, it looks to be the favorite for Worst Picture. I also think John Travolta will "win" for Worst Actor for The Fanatic. Any other Razzie predictions?

One more razzie prediction. Until Cats came along, one of the most high profile disasters was Serenity which came out at the start of the year. It took your typical neo-noir storyline (murder, adultry, deviousness) and then went bonkers with a bizarre plot twist or two. It was regarded as being laughable, and what with big names stranded in it, Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, and Diane Lane, I still think the Razzies will nominate it. Speaking of Hathaway, she was considered to appear in Cats. Good thing she didn't. If she had appeared in both Serenity and Cats (not to mention the tepidly received remake of Bedtime Story/Dirty Rotten Scoundrels called The Hustle), she would be a shoo-in for a Razzie win.

• Thanks 1

(So, this is sort of the antithesis of Jake Holman's "Joker" box-office obsession, then?)

21 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

The real victim in this fiasco is Skip.  He will never be the same.

When I first saw your comment, I had some tea in my mouth. I was laughing so hard I almost choked, and laughed so hard I was in tears. Thank you.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

speedracer, your comment reminds of a similar reaction of mine a few years ago when watching a documentary about plushies and furries.  People who identify as furries want, as part of their fetish,  to be animal human hybrids or want to be "romantic" with them.

Anyway, a woman who wanted to be a cat  was interviewed and this woman, in addition to her cat costume,  was wearing glasses.

My comment: "Cats don't wear glasses."

Furriesat this film  are going to be like the cute lady, who loved anything "cute", in the 1986 film True Stories, who went into pure overload when she saw a procession of babies in strollers.

48 minutes ago, EricJ said:

(So, this is sort of the antithesis of Jake Holman's "Joker" box-office obsession, then?)

I'm sorry, this whole fiasco and reactions is one of the fuinniest things I've seen in quite some time!

• Haha 1

On 12/19/2019 at 10:22 AM, Roy Cronin said:

First, I admire anyone who resurrects the word "eldritch" and employs it properly.

You mean like Lanford Wilson?

• Like 1

I would have seen the film, had they not cut my favorite sequence: "The Ballad of Billy Macaw." However I think the film may not be so bad, if you see it as a musical version of The Island of Dr. Moreau.

island-of-dr-moreau-5.png?w=700

3 hours ago, Swithin said:

You mean like Lanford Wilson?

I remember seeing a PBS production of The Rimers of Eldritch back in the early 1970s.  I recall Susan Sarandon and Rue McClanahan in particular.  That   probably made me look the word up.

• Thanks 1

It's not just now, early word months ago was pretty bad for CATS   Though it seems a lock to  earn Oscar shots for Song, Costumes, Production Design   As I wrote before it ain't no Chicago or La La Land

22 hours ago, filmnoirguy said:

I'll bet the French will like it.

How about the Chinese?

They'll watch it thinking, "What a perfect waste of  good food!  I could get THREE servings of chow mein out of ONE of those cats!"  ;)  and er........

A co-worker of mine once said he won't eat Chinese food because, as he put it...

"That meat has a peculiar grain to it."  Then goes on;  "Ever been to a Chinese funeral?   Ever see one?"  ;)   :D 

Point taken  B)

And another funny thing( ha-ha that is)....

On my wife's side of the family everybody's favorite Chinese restaurant is a place called KITTY'S in Dearborn Heights.!  :D    Now, WHY did they call it THAT I wonder---------

Sepiatone

2 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

How about the Chinese?

I wonder if they left in the original lyrics to "Growltiger's Last Stand:"

"Then Gilbert gave the signal to his fierce Mongolian horde
With a frightful burst of fireworks, the Chinks they swarmed aboard" 

I bet CATS opens surprisingly well (in the $20 million range) Because there’s that certain segment of the population that when you say “damn this milk has gone bad!” show up to take a sniff.

after that , I’m thinking it probably breaks even on the worldwide market and then goes on to live in infamy.

On 12/20/2019 at 5:05 PM, CinemaInternational said:

She was actually quite open and charming in Philomena as a simple, cheerful woman. Also had the biggest laugh of any 2013 film when her character said that she wanted to see Big Momma's House on on demand video.

OOPS, Iris is the name of my ex & a Puerto Rican gal that kinda looks like Oscar winner *O. Cruz!!!

strong actress though

On 12/20/2019 at 5:28 PM, CinemaInternational said:

The only Universal releases on Metacritic with worse scores than Cats. I've only seen 2 of them, and Somewher in Time is a lot better than a 29! :( 

5F9NTLD.png

OTX3B5N.png

dSv79V4.png

LOD9jtQ.png

I was actually quite concerned that I did not see JAWS THE REVENGE on this list, Then I got to the very bottom and was relieved. 

Leaving it off the list Would be the equivalent of not including RASHOMAN On the 100 greatest films of the 20th century compilation.