Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LornaHansonForbes

Dayum, CRITICS are SPITTING FIRE over CATS: THE MOVIE

6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I was actually quite concerned that I did not see JAWS THE REVENGE on this list, Then I got to the very bottom and was relieved. 

Leaving it off the list Would be the equivalent of not including RASHOMAN On the 100 greatest films of the 20th century compilation.

As expected BILLY MADISON made the list ( it's one point higher than JAWS: THE REVENGE).

I still have to like the movie though if for no other reason because it gave the world the (apparently improvised) line "Stop looking at me, swan!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

As expected BILLY MADISON made the list ( it's one point higher than JAWS: THE REVENGE).

I still have to like the movie though if for no other reason because it gave the world the (apparently improvised) line "Stop looking at me, swan!"

"Shampoo is betta, it cleans da hair."
"No conditiona is better, it leaves da hair silky and smooth."

• Like 1

I see your BILLY MADISON, but at the same time, this is AN HONEST TO JESUS STILL FROM THE RESHOT ENDING THAT WAS INCLUDED IN THE THEATRICAL RELEASE OF JAWS THE REVENGE:

latest?cb=20110606032218

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I also liked "Happy Gilmore" and "The Great Outdoors" from the list of films that scored below Cats.

I guess I have questionable taste in films.  Lol.

But how can you go wrong with "The Great Outdoors" ? The only way it would have been better is if they left the twins in the cave that they fell into and didn't save them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

From the previously posted list, I like The House of 1000 Corpses, but I completely understand why most people would hate it. 

I didn't think Somewhere in Time was awful, and it's scheduled to be one of the featured films at next year's TCM Film Festival.

I've seen 37 of the listed movies. :( 

does HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES have CHRIS HARDWICK in it?

I have always been very curious about SOMEWHERE IN TIME, i know it has a strong following and it did get an oscar nomination for the costumes

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

does HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES have CHRIS HARDWICK in it?

I have always been very curious about SOMEWHERE IN TIME, i know it has a strong following and it did get an oscar nomination for the costumes

Somewhere in Time was a throwback to the romantic fantasy tearjerkers of the 1940s, like Portrait of Jennie and The ghost and Mrs Muir (the endings of the two films are very similar). Christopher Reeve played a young playwright who after the opening of his play was approched by a dying, elderly woman who presents him with a watch saying "come back to me". Several years later, he sees an old photograph of a beautiful young woman (Jane Seymour), and finds that she was a respected actress and the same woman who, in old age, gave him the watch. He becomes determined to find out how to travel back in time so he can meet this woman in her youth and to try to fulfill her dying wish. He eventually does travel back in time with a risky mental method, all the way back to 1910, where the two of them fall madly in love. But what with the time warp and her Svengali-like manager (Christopher Plummer), things are set for a lush romantic tearjerker. Over half the film is set in 1910, and the period detail is marvelous, and Reeve and Seymour make a touching couple. There is also a nice one-scene cameo for Theresa Wright. It's very old-fashioned which might explain why critics in 1980 were a bit hard.  But the film's best ingredient is the music. My word, the music. John Barry, always a great composer, contributes his most lushly romantic and heartrending score of all the films he did. It's one of the best musical scores ever put to film and could make a stone cry.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Yes, he was one of the featured victims. It was the first time I'd seen him since that MTV game show he hosted in the 90's. He later went on to become some sort of geek-culture guru, as well as being #MeToo'ed.

Yes, he also lost a ton of weight and maybe had some (very good) plastic surgery. 
I have not heard much of him since his ex girlfriend went public with their issues, but- judge if you will- I found him INCREDIBLY HOT. 

7 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

"Shampoo is betta, it cleans da hair."
"No conditiona is better, it leaves da hair silky and smooth."

"Oh, really, fool?"

"Really!"

Here's another great BILLY MADISON moment

Whenever I hear Culture Club's "I'll Tumble 4 Ya," I always think of this scene:

On 12/19/2019 at 10:49 PM, speedracer5 said:

Commit to the furry lifestyle dammit!

In my eagerness to ensure that everyone was educated on the drives of plushies, I neglected to applaud this magnificent comment, possibly my favorite in this thread.

I'm contemplating having this  directive printed on a T-shirt and giving the shirt as a gift to, I don't know, my grandmother maybe.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, UMO1982 said:

Now they're replacing the current version of CATS already in theaters with a new and improved version.... OH REALLY?

https://www.thewrap.com/cats-poor-reception-prompts-universal-to-send-an-improved-updated-version-to-theaters/

Here is the link from a very funny (and savage) article about this from the website I09, they go into detail about some of the glaring errors in what is now, i guess, the "original release print."

https://io9.gizmodo.com/in-an-unprecedented-move-universal-is-sending-theaters-1840595453?_ga=2.49719330.566895890.1577113604-3463299357.1516990191

here is a quote from the initial review IO9 did of CATS:

I witnessed an entire man, knit cap and coat, just standing in a scene among a gathering of cats. I saw a terrifying gray statue looming over a character, only for it to blink and realize it’s a woman who is a cat, but they colored her and then forgot to add fur. In one scene, nearly all of Judi Dench’s hand is a fluffy blond like her the coat of her cat character, Deuteronomy. In another, it’s just her regular hand, replete with what appears to be a wedding ring. Most cats have human feet, but some cats wear shoes. Except for newcomer Francesca Hayward, a ballerina who does a long and gorgeous dance number on pointe. It’s a beautiful skill and the kind of thing you’d normally need to pay to see in a theater. Here you see it for the price of a single movie ticket! But they CGI’d out her ballet shoes and gave her digital toes that skitter weightlessly across the floor, engendering a powerful feeling as wrong as that Pixar baby 30 years ago.

On Jennifer Hudson in the Independent web site:

"Squint and you can just about see her awards-season consultant reflected in the snot running down her nose, Hudson exaggeratingly quivering her lips and telegraphing her character’s inner turmoil with the subtlety of a stampeding elephant."

Just watched a Today show interview, Hoda with 4 cat ladies : Jennifer,  Taylor, the new ballerina who seems sweet and overwhelmed and the fat, unfunny Aussie.

I don't know when it was taped, but if it was after reviews came out Hoda was under strict orders to keep quiet about that.

Not surprisingly,  to me, Taylor comes acoss as a snot with an over inflated sense of self worth.  The new dancer girl cowered and deferred appropriately in Taylor's presence.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

As a Christmas present, I received a Harry & David gift box delivered to my home today.  It's the kind of thing with cheeses, sausages, fancy crackers, and spreads, etc. It's been the usual gift from this particular relative for the past several years.... as I cut open the box, smack in the middle of it was a large cardboard promotional ad for Cats. I thought that perhaps the gift box was Cats themed, but alas, it only seems to have been an advertisement thrown in the box with no product tie-in within. 

🙀😹💩

somewhere in AMERICA, someone's GREAT AUNT GLADYS who does not have good eyesight even with the bifocals and who doesn't watch "the TV" or read the news or go to films 'cause they're full of n e k k i d people just got OFFENDED as HELL:

"Do you know what some sick-o just sent me for Christmas, Edna?!!! A box of SAUSAGES made out OF CATS! One of my nephews still PO'd I voted for Trump I s'ppose....the crackers look right tasty though."

1 hour ago, UMO1982 said:

On Jennifer Hudson in the Independent web site:

"Squint and you can just about see her awards-season consultant reflected in the snot running down her nose, Hudson exaggeratingly quivering her lips and telegraphing her character’s inner turmoil with the subtlety of a stampeding elephant."

I feel sorry for her, ever since ANDRE LEON TALLEY made her wear that weird little lame' capelet with the high collar when she won supporting actress. I know she's starring in an ARETHA FRANKLIN BIOPIC called RESPECT coming out soon, maybe that will help.

Adding about that interview, all the Cat Ladies praised Dame Judi highly and noted that she b**** frequently about the weight of her costume and said ***** I can't stand this ***** thing!

I just went to the 5-screen theatre in town today to see Frozen II before it left town after tomorrow. Why am I bringing this up? Well, Cats was playing in the theatre right next door. I was essentially sitting only 10 feet removed from Cats. At one point, I went to use the bathroom. When I was heading toward there, I peered in through the window in the door and saw Cats, which looks odd. When I was coming back, I looked in again, trying to see inside. The dancing in the film actually looks adept, but its the special effects I think that are making it get the catcalls. Anyway, as far as I could see the theatre playing Cats didn't have anyone in it, unless they were in the far back. So, a good 25 to 30 minutes later, close to the end of Frozen, I saw two people come into the theatre, and I wondered if they had walked out on Cats, provided they were in the back of that theatre and I just didn't see them. If that was the case, wow.