Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What are your unpopular opinions on Classic Hollywood?

We all love Old Hollywood and with that, there are bound to be some unpopular opinions about Classic movies. Here are some of mine :

- Spencer Tracy wasn't a great actor. I respect his work, but I never enjoyed him as an actor. 

-Humphrey Bogarts best movie was "The African Queen", not Casablanca. 

- Audrey Hepburn is a better actress than Katherine Hepburn. 

What are your unpopular opinions? 

Well, based on what I read on the message boards in the last 11 years, I would say:

John Williams is a great composer.

Meryl Streep is a great actress.

31 Days of Oscar is a fun event I look forward to every year.

Marlon Brando's enunciation is clear and easy to understand.

Some movies made after 1960 are just as good, if not better, than movies made before.

Dr. Zhivago is a great movie.

Heaven's Gate is a great movie.

Ishtar is funny.

Robert Osborne made mistakes.

• Like 2

A few of my unpopular opinions........

Greta Garbo was way overrated

So are Lauren Bacall, Elizabeth Taylor, Meryl Streep, Marlon Brando, Vivien Leigh, Sophia Loren, Marlene Dietrich, Paulette Goddard, Humphrey Bogart, Grace Kelly, John Wayne, Katherine Hepburn, & Audrey Hepburn

Louise Brooks was beautiful & an amazing fashion icon but not a good actress (or writer)

Hedy Lamarr was beautiful (my goodness was she a stunner!) but she wasn't a good actress either

Same with Lana Turner

Charlie Chaplin was a genius but I still would rather watch Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, & Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle any day (they were geniuses too!)

Joan Crawford was a better actress than Bette Davis (I still love Bette but I just feel Joan was better)

Norma Shearer was a terrible actress & only got the parts she did because of Irving Thalberg

I agree with  MG about Spencer Tracy

I always knew Joan Blondell was underrated but after watching so many of her movies this month, she should have been a much bigger star than she was

1. The second, Marlon Brando and Trevor Howard version of Mutiny on the Bounty is much better than the original with Clark Gable and Charles Laughton.

2. It's a Wonderful Life is fantastic, but other Frank Capra movies are treacle.

[Also, I think Spencer Tracy is one of our greatest actors.  He's so good he doesn't appear to be acting.]

1.  Will somebody please SLAP James Dean?

2.  Anne Bancroft's Mrs. Robinson was a sad, insane lunatic.

3.  I can give you six reasons why we think The Lion King is a "classic" that have absolutely zero to do with the movie itself.   And not very many do.

• Like 1
  • Farley Granger got juicy adult roles based on luck and not on talent
  • Dean Martin is more talented than Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby put together
  • Barbara Stanwyck, Greta Garbo, Grace Kelly, Shelley Winters, John Garfield, John Wayne, Jerry Lewis, and Gary Cooper are overrated
  • Donald O'Connor is underrated
  • Tom Cruise does not deserve the flak he gets

That the Brown Derby's so-so food was worth its high price and just so you might be able to spot a movie star or two eating at the next table away.

(...well, you didn't say "Classic Hollywood MOVIES" here now did YA?!...and so I just assumed you were askin' about the city itself back in the day)

;)

• Haha 1

Barbara Stanwyck and Greta Garbo are overrated (though they made some great and enjoyable films).

Katharine Hepburn should have made The Lady Eve.

All About Eve is a vastly overrated film.

The good Bette Davis (and her movies) is better than the bad Bette Davis (and her movies).

If Judy Holliday hadn't won the 1950 Oscar for Best Actress, Eleanor Parker should have won for Caged.

Many of the late 1940s/early 1950s MGM musicals are boring. (Give me 1930s musicals anytime!)

The worst Oscar choice in history was Rex Harrison for My Fair Lady. The other four nominated actors were better.

• Like 1

cecil b demille  is a great director ...

john wayne is a great actor ...

the ten commandments 1956 is one  of the greatest films ever made ...

gary cooper is a great actor ...

high noon is not coop's greatest western ...

humphrey bogart is overrated ... 

errol flynn is a great actor ...

delmer daves is an underrated director ...

katherine hepburn is overrated ... 

don't make 'em like maureen o'hara anymore ...

could add many more ...

5 hours ago, Dargo said:

That the Brown Derby's so-so food was worth its high price and just so you might be able to spot a movie star or two eating at the next table away.

(...well, you didn't say "Classic Hollywood MOVIES" here now did YA?!...and so I just assumed you were askin' about the city itself back in the day)

;)

VOICE: Telephone for Miss Ava Gardner

(Fred jumps up)

FRED: Where? Where?

ETHEL: Fred, she's just people like you and me

FRED: She may be people, but she's not like you and me.

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

VOICE: Telephone for Miss Ava Gardner

(Fred jumps up)

FRED: Where? Where?

ETHEL: Fred, she's just people like you and me

FRED: She may be people, but she's not like you and me.

LOL

Somehow I knew you'd especially appreciate my earlier post, speedy. ;)

• Like 1

Rin Tin Tin had more talent in his right front paw than Shirley Temple had in her whole body.

Martin Kosleck was a better propagandist than Joseph Goebbels.

Alfred Hitchcock is both the most overrated and underrated director of the studio era.

David O. Selznick was more handsome than Gary Grant.

James Dean made tastier sausages than Jimmy Dean.

Claudette Colbert had a neck.

Greer Garson was a bigger bull dykee than Deborah Kerr.

Clifton Webb would have won a arm wrestling contest with Victor Mature.

• Haha 2

The OUR GANG kids were an annoying bunch of brats.

CHARLIE CHAPLIN was a "one trick pony"

So was  BUSBY BERKELEY  

GONE WITH THE WIND was an hour and a half too long

Whoever told JUDY GARLAND she could sing?

And MICKEY ROONEY he could act?

And ROY ROGER'S horse TRIGGER could "whinnie" just as good as DEANNA DURBIN 

Somebody should have done something to cure those  **** LEG SPASMS that FRED ASTAIRE was suffering from.

Then there was HUMPHREY BOGART'S horrible speech impediment.

But, I think it was nice of all the studio heads to let AUDREY HEPBURN play "dress up" with all the grown-up clothes and let her pretend that she can act.

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
On 12/20/2019 at 12:26 PM, sewhite2000 said:

Well, based on what I read on the message boards in the last 11 years, I would say:

John Williams is a great composer.

Meryl Streep is a great actress.

31 Days of Oscar is a fun event I look forward to every year.

Marlon Brando's enunciation is clear and easy to understand.

Some movies made after 1960 are just as good, if not better, than movies made before.

Dr. Zhivago is a great movie.

Heaven's Gate is a great movie.

Ishtar is funny.

Robert Osborne made mistakes.

compared to James Dean in Giant marlon is perfectly understandable in all of his films.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
17 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Rin Tin Tin had more talent in his right front paw than Shirley Temple had in her whole body.

Martin Kosleck was a better propagandist than Joseph Goebbels.

Alfred Hitchcock is both the most overrated and underrated director of the studio era.

David O. Selznick was more handsome than Gary Grant.

James Dean made tastier sausages than Jimmy Dean.

Claudette Colbert had a neck.

Greer Garson was a bigger bull dykee than Deborah Kerr.

Clifton Webb would have won a arm wrestling contest with Victor Mature.

:lol:

While most of my "unpopular opinions" were in jest, maybe a couple were in earnest.  Surely my one about AUDREY HEPBURN isn't really kidding.  I don't recall ever seeing her actually ACT in a movie until WAIT UNTIL DARK, in which(IMHO) she did blind FAR better than that cliched "road show" performance of a blind person done by AL PACINO in SCENT OF A WOMAN.   ("HOO_wah!"  :rolleyes: )

Sepiatone

3 minutes ago, thomasterryjr said:

How could Hollywood executives not have a sense of history and allow so many films to deteriorate, not have a master copy of a film stashed at an alternative location or allow films to be thrown away after its initial release or screening. 

This is an unpopular opinion?    Not with those at this forum.

• Like 1

Marion Davies is an excellent comedienne (although she almost certainly wouldn't have done as well as she did without Hearst's influence).

Some time around the coming in of sound Gary Cooper became plainer than a dirt road, and his strong and silent mode always did wear thin pretty quickly.

Between Jimmy Stewart's face and voice, I can't believe anyone ever honestly found him attractive.

Between Clark Gable's jug ears and monkey face, why did anyone think him good-looking in his early career? (Age and that mustache did help somewhat.)

How did Katharine Hepburn turn that affected voice and handful of tics into a film career?

Frank Capra's early films with Barbara Stanwyck are electric; the rest of his filmography is middling mush.

I like many of Lubitsch's films, but The Shop Around the Corner is inexplicably overrated.

• Like 2

Many of the opinions posted thus far aren't exactly unpopular. Here are some that perhaps are:

• Marlon Brando was the best American film actor of the 20th century.
  • The Three Stooges were never funny. Laurel & Hardy were rarely funny. 
  • Joe E. Brown was not amusing.
  • Mickey Rooney was obnoxious and irritating.
  • Most of John Ford's films are adequate at best.
  • William Wyler was an excellent director, but he lacked a distinctive voice as a director (which is not necessarily a bad thing).
  • Billy Wilder's comedies were not funny, and a couple of them are as pleasant as nails on a chalkboard.
  • Movie musicals are at the bottom of the cinematic art form.
  • I've never willingly watched a Shirley Temple film, and do not plan to, although I've seen clips from them (too many times).
  • Bette Davis was often an overly-mannered caricature of her earlier self. Same for Kate Hepburn.
  • Tyrone Power and Henry Fonda often looked bored in their films. I'm still a fan of both.
  • The 1940's is the dullest decade for films (until the last couple, anyway). There are many exceptions of course, but American films of the time were frequently flavorless, toothless and dull.
  • I've watched over a half dozen of his films, but I still have no idea what the "Lubitsch touch" was.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Many of the opinions posted thus far aren't exactly unpopular. Here are some that perhaps are:

• Marlon Brando was the best American film actor of the 20th century.
  • The Three Stooges were never funny. Laurel & Hardy were rarely funny. 
  • Joe E. Brown was not amusing.
  • Mickey Rooney was obnoxious and irritating.
  • Most of John Ford's films are adequate at best.
  • William Wyler was an excellent director, but he lacked a distinctive voice as a director (which is not necessarily a bad thing).
  • Billy Wilder's comedies were not funny, and a couple of them are as pleasant as nails on a chalkboard.
  • Movie musicals are at the bottom of the cinematic art form.
  • I've never willingly watched a Shirley Temple film, and do not plan to, although I've seen clips from them (too many times).
  • Bette Davis was often an overly-mannered caricature of her earlier self. Same for Kate Hepburn.
  • Tyrone Power and Henry Fonda often looked bored in their films. I'm still a fan of both.
  • The 1940's is the dullest decade for films (until the last couple, anyway). There are many exceptions of course, but American films of the time were frequently flavorless, toothless and dull.
  • I've watched over a half dozen of his films, but I still have no idea what the "Lubitsch touch" was.

Well Lawrence, thankfully is wasn't anything like the "Weinstein touch" anyway.

(...that is of course UNLESS you've heard some nasty rumors about Ernst TOO)  ;)

LOL

• Haha 2