Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What are your unpopular opinions on Classic Hollywood?

3 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Ah, but Cary Grant...Actually I think he was one of the all-time beneficiaries of the "British accent = quality" fallacy.

Probably. And as the old saw goes No one plays Cary Grant like Cary Grant. Whatever one may think of his

acting abilities, I still like Cary Grant, even if he is often playing himself.

• Like 1
  1. John Wayne was a great actor.
  2. Black-and-White in 4:3 aspect ratio is the best format for most films and should not have been all but abandoned after color/widescreen came around.
  3. The Hays Code wasn't all bad, and the restrictions catalyzed more creativity and ingenuity in the great filmmakers.
28 minutes ago, Spritz Nipper said:
  1. John Wayne was a great actor.
  2. Black-and-White in 4:3 aspect ratio is the best format for most films and should not have been all but abandoned after color/widescreen came around.
  3. The Hays Code wasn't all bad, and the restrictions catalyzed more creativity and ingenuity in the great filmmakers.

Spritz, after reading your unpopular opinions here, AND after also noticing your choice of avatar, I'll now ask you the following:

So, at last count, how many times exactly have you watched the movie Stagecoach???

(...I'm gonna guess at least fifty, right?!) ;)

LOL

5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Spritz, after reading you unpopular opinions here, AND after also noticing your choice of avatar, I'll now ask you the following:

So, how many times exactly have you watched the movie Stagecoach???

(...I'm gonna guess at least fifty, right?!) ;)

LOL

I'm not sure how many times, but certainly less than fifty. Maybe one day I'll hit that number. Stagecoach is probably my favorite film from the 30s, and the 30s is probably my favorite decade of cinema.

11 minutes ago, Spritz Nipper said:

I'm not sure how many times, but certainly less than fifty. Maybe one day I'll hit that number. Stagecoach is probably my favorite film from the 30s, and the 30s is probably my favorite decade of cinema.

Yeah, somehow I kind of figured that, as you could probably tell. ;)

And yeah, it's a great movie, alright.

I've watched it a few times myself and still consider it one of the greatest Westerns ever made,.

(...and from what I understand, NOT all that much of an "unpopular opinion", as it usually ranks way up near the top in that particular film genre)

30 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, somehow I kind of figured that, as you could probably tell. ;)

And yeah, it's a great movie, alright.

I've watched it a few times myself and still consider it one of the greatest Westerns ever made,.

(...and from what I understand, NOT all that much of an "unpopular opinion", as it usually ranks way up near the top in that particular film genre)

This reminds me of another unpopular opinion that I have (at least from what I've seen on these boards), that Westerns are my favorite genre of film. Old American Westerns are the pinnacle of escapism.

7 minutes ago, Spritz Nipper said:

This reminds me of another unpopular opinion that I have (at least from what I've seen on these boards), that Westerns are my favorite genre of film. Old American Westerns are the pinnacle of escapism.

Yeah, you might be right, Spritz.

(...yep, it seems whenever the topic is risen of the least favorite film genres, Westerns and Musicals often seem to be the least favored mentioned among the regular contributors on these boards)

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, you might be right, Spritz.

(...yep, it seems whenever the topic is risen of the least favorite film genres, Westerns and Musicals often seem to be the least favored among the regular contributors on these boards)

I thought I was the only one who didn't like musicals around here. 

I like westerns, though.

7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I thought I was the only one who didn't like musicals around here. 

I like westerns, though.

No, I'm pretty sure your same sentiment about musicals has often been expressed by more than a few others on these boards over the years, Lawrence.

Singing cowboys make for the best westerns.

Yodelin' Kid from Pine Ridge is probably the best western of the first half of the 20th Century.

There should be more films with yodeling in them.

Gene-Autry-American-actor-singer.jpg

"I'll have to catch those rustlers. But first, a song . . ."

• Like 1
  • Haha 5