Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

'Sixteen Candles,' 'Breakfast Club' director Hughes dead at 59

*'Sixteen Candles,' 'Breakfast Club' director Hughes dead at 59*

Aug. 6, 2009

*NEW YORK (AP) -- Writer-director John Hughes, Hollywood's youth impresario of the 1980s and '90s who captured and cornered the teen and pre-teen market with such favorites as "Home Alone," "The Breakfast Club" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," died Thursday, a spokeswoman said. He was 59*.

Hughes died of a heart attack during a morning walk in Manhattan, Michelle Bega said. He was in New York to visit family.

A native of Lansing, Mich., who later moved to suburban Chicago and set much of his work there, Hughes rose from ad writer to comedy writer to silver screen champ with his affectionate and idealized portraits of teens, whether the romantic and sexual insecurity of "Sixteen Candles," or the J.D. Salinger-esque rebellion against conformity in "The Breakfast Club."

Hughes' ensemble comedies helped make stars out of Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall, Ally Sheedy and many other young performers. He also scripted the phenomenally popular "Home Alone," which made little-known Macaulay Culkin a sensation as the 8-year-old accidentally abandoned by his vacationing family, and wrote or directed such hits as "National Lampoon's Vacation," "Pretty in Pink," "Planes, Trains & Automobiles" and "Uncle Buck."

Other actors who got early breaks from Hughes included John Cusack ("Sixteen Candles"), Judd Nelson ("The Breakfast Club"), Steve Carrell ("Curly Sue") and Lili Taylor ("She's Having a Baby").

Devin Ratray, best known for playing Buzz McCallister in the "Home Alone" films, said he remained close to Hughes over the years.

"He changed my life forever," Ratray said. "Nineteen years later, people from all over the world contact me telling me how much 'Home Alone' meant to them, their families, and their children."

Actor Matthew Broderick worked with Hughes in 1986 when he played the title character in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off."

"I am truly shocked and saddened by the news about my old friend John Hughes. He was a wonderful, very talented guy and my heart goes out to his family," Broderick said.

As Hughes advanced into middle age, his commercial touch faded and, in Salinger style, he increasingly withdrew from public life. His last directing credit was in 1991, for "Curly Sue," and he wrote just a handful of scripts over the past decade. He was rarely interviewed or photographed.

john-hughes.jpg

Unless you?re a pop culture enthusiast, you probably have no idea who John Hughes is. However, I?d be willing to bet that if you?re older than 25, one of his movies probably rocked your world at some point in time. Renowned for being able to turn a story about nothing into a story about everything, John Hughes is one of the better directors of our age.

His career really started when he wrote the screenplay for National Lampoon?s Vacation ? a film that set the standard for comedy in the 80?s. His directorial debut was none other than Sixteen Candles, released in 1984. Sixteen Candles was the first in a string of films that would later be labeled a ?brat pack? film; a movie that starred some or all of the 80?s teen actors that were prevalent in those days (Emilio Estevez, Anthony Michael Hall, Rob Lowe, Andrew McCarthy, Demi Moore, Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy and Molly Ringwald). Sixteen Candles opened to rave reviews and the world immediately knew that John Hughes would be one to watch.

Hughes set out to make films that were a more realistic portrayal of growing up and high school life, so his next few films followed Sixteen Candles almost as if they were cut from the same mold. Pretty in Pink, Weird Science, The Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller?s Day Off also rolled out between 1984 and 1987, all receiving critical acclaim and taking in high box office sales. Hughes was very aware of how much his version of high school contrasted other high school films of the day (think Porky?s and Ridgemont High), even going so far as to say: ?At the time I came along, Hollywood?s idea of teen movies meant there had to be a lot of nudity, usually involving boys in pursuit of sex, and pretty gross overall. Either that or a horror movie. And the last thing Hollywood wanted in their teen movies was teenagers!?

One of my favorite films of all time is The Breakfast Club which effortlessly combines teen angst, touching dramatic scenes and offbeat humor. **I am pretty sure that this movie is singlehandedly responsible for the band Life of Agony making any money at all due to the use of their song ?Don?t You Forget About Me? being used at the end of the film. On its own, the song is mediocre at best. Paired with this film, it?s DYNO-MITE!!**

But John Hughes didn?t want to direct coming of age teen comedies his entire career; the late 80?s saw the release of Planes Trains and Automobiles and Uncle Buck, both classics. As far as the box office is concerned, his most successful film to date is Home Alone which was the highest grossing film of 1990.

**Interesting fact: Home Alone stars Macaulay Culkin?s lesser known younger brother, Kieren Culkin. You can see him in small parts of Home Alone 1 and 2 as the smallest sibling who is known for wetting the bed after drinking too much soda. Kieren Culkin proved his acting chops with increasingly larger roles in films such as Father of the Bride 1 and 2 and finally, M. Night Shyamalan?s Signs which, say what you want about that film, Kieren was amazing.**

After directing Curly Sue in 1991, John Hughes decided to retire from directing. He does small appearances here and there but mostly enjoys retirement in Wisconsin.

WOW!!! My childhood is gone now!! Every film of his I saw I theater at least 2xs!!!

*_These films changedmy summers as a kid_:*

Sixteen Candles (1984)

The Breakfast Club (1985)

Weird Science (1985)

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986

*Moly Ringwald Pays Tribute to John Hughes*

By Natasha Stoynoff and Pamela Warrick

Thursday August 06, 2009

John Hughes made Molly Ringwald a teen star after casting her in his 1984 movie Sixteen Candles. After learning about the writer-director's death on Thursday, Ringwald shared fond words about her frequent collaborator.

"I was stunned and incredibly sad to hear about the death of John Hughes," Ringwald said in a statement. "He was and will always be such an important part of my life."

"He will be missed ? by me and by everyone that he has touched," she added. "My heart and all my thoughts are with his family now."

Ringwald, who now stars in The Secret Life of the American Teenager, also had leading roles in Hughes's 1985 classic The Breakfast Club and 1986's Pretty in Pink, which he wrote.

Another actor Hughes made famous, Matthew Broderick, who starred in 1986's Ferris Bueller's Day Off, also shared his condolences with the director's family.

"I am truly shocked and saddened by the news about my old friend John Hughes," Broderick said in a statement. "He was a wonderful, very talented guy and my heart goes out to his family."

I was 15 when "The Breakfeast Club" came out. I didn't see it then and I didn't see it until 2007. I saw "Ferris Bueller" in 2006. For someone who was supposedly a filmmaker for my childhood, he meant little to me. The only thing that really stays in my memory is Simple Minds' "Don't You Forget about me." Now THAT is a good song.

*Cinematical Seven: Greatest John Hughes Movie Moments*

*1. National Lampoon's Vacation*

Hughes expanded his own short story into an epic road trip, as the Griswold family heads west from Chicago on a "quest for fun" to Walley World. Along the way, they endure annoying relatives, smelly Aunt Edna, and a dog that becomes a drag. Oh, and Dad tries skinny dipping with a supermodel. The clip that seems most emblematic of their travails comes late in the picture, as Mom and the kids start complaining again, until Dad finally loses it. Hughes was an expert at using the "f-word" (and other profanity) to great comedic effect. [Watch clip after the jump.

*2. Sixteen Candles*

Molly Ringwald's plaintive, disbelieving words -- "They f***in' forgot my birthday" -- captured in a single sentence the exact mood I often felt as a middle child in my suburban family. That comes early in the movie, helping to establish Samantha, her character. Later, it's a long, quiet scene between her and the be-smitten Anthony Michael Hall (as "The Geek") that really demonstrates Hughes' talent as a writer (watch clip at YouTube). Embarrassing emotions are exchanged, an awkward pass is shot down in mid-flight, and a semi-comfortable, friendly detente is eventually achieved, ending with a request by the Geek that I could never in a thousand years imagine saying to a teenage classmate I had a crush on.

*3. The Breakfast Club*

The "montage set to popular music" has become such a cliche that it's hard to remember when it felt fresh and new. Yet this is where Hughes' "seven stereotypes in search of a character" script reveals its keen insight into the teenage soul: it feels good to get up and dance, and not to care what other people are thinking. As a director, Hughes was not particularly noted for his personal style; in part, that's because he kept showy camera movements to a minimum and maintained a relentless focus on simple setups. In the clip above, the music sounds very much a product of its mid-80s era, even though no one would mistake the visuals as something from one of the overly busy or garish music videos of the day.

*4. Weird Science*

These two short scenes show a perfect melding of Hughes' complementary skills as a writer and director. Hughes as director: Kelly LeBrock's entrance as Lisa, dressed only in a pair of boy's underwear and a midriff-baring shirt, back-lit in pink, and accompanied by puffing of fog, is straight out of a teenage boy's wet dream. Hughes as writer: the boys want to shower with her, but are too bashful to touch her, or talk to her, or even remove any of their clothing below the waist. They think they know what they want, and they thought they knew how to get it, but, really, they have no idea. Just like all adolescents.

*5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off*

At the risk of having two musical montages in a single article that is meant to celebrate Hughes' multifaceted talents, this scene of Matthew Broderick as Ferris getting the entire city of Chicago to sing along with him fills my heart with unreasoning joy every time I watch it. While The Breakfast Club celebrated individuality, Ferris Bueller's Day Off celebrates community, and this scene (which Erik Davis loves too) is the perfect example of that.

*6. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles*

My two favorite scenes from the movie are the "rental car scene," which is a hilarious variation on Clark Griswold's explosion in a station wagon (see National Lampoon's Vacation), and this brief one. Unlikely traveling companions Steve Martin and John Candy have been forced to share a motel room together, a room with only one bed, and the scene begins as they wake up in the morning. If you've ever shared a bed with someone that you really didn't want to even touch, this scene strikes all the right (painfully wrong?) chords. A very simple pan sets it up, along with cheery music, and just the right amount of dialogue is exchanged.

*7. Uncle Buck*

What a wonderful synthesis of John Candy's deadpan brilliance and Macauley Culkin's budding stardom! Candy reached a career high as the adorable and endearing Uncle Buck, pressed into service only as a reluctant last resort after a family emergency. As brilliantly executed by Candy and Culkin, asking and answering questions with rat-a-tat lightning speed that recalls both Dragnet and His Girl Friday, the scene is very funny out of context, but it's even funnier within the context of the movie, since there's nothing to set it up or follow it up. It's a non sequitur of a scene that comes out of nowhere yet remains lodged in memory.

Just like John Hughes himself.

Thanks,

Cinematical.com

by Peter Martin

Aug 6th 2009

*John Hughes, the maker of classic '80s movies*

by Mike Scott, Movie writer, The Times-Picayune

Friday August 07, 2009

*A little perspective: John Hughes owned exactly zero Oscars upon his death Thursday.*

Zero trophies, zero nominations, zero on-the-record respect from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. There's only one conclusion to draw from that little tidbit: Sometimes we put far too much stock in measuring the impact of one's career by the amount of hardware on his mantle.

The real impact of the iconic '80s writer-director of such films as "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," "She's Having a Baby" and "Pretty in Pink" -- that is, the real, deep-down-inside impact on the lives of actual people -- was massive. To anyone with a Twitter account, it was also easy to gauge last week.

Within minutes of the first AP report on Hughes' death at 59 of a heart attack, the online messaging service lit up like the Griswold's house in "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" (which Hughes wrote, along with the other two "Vacation" films and a litany of other memorable comedies). Countless tweets from countless children of the '80s expressed sadness, fond memories -- and a deluge of classic quotes from Hughes screenplays.

Writer-director John Hughes died Thursday (Aug. 6) of a heart attack.It wasn't just the faceless masses who were moved by his death, either.

From "Juno" screenwriter Diablo Cody: "Truly saddened by passing of John Hughes. Was an idol to this (neo-maxie)-zoom-dweebie."

From "Late Night" host Jimmy Fallon: "I love John Hughes. So many great quotes from so many great movies."

From "The Office" star Rainn Wilson: "R.I.P. John Hughes -- 'The Breakfast Club' was a revelation to my late teenage years. You're my hero."

And from a certain movie critic for The Times-Picayune: "Thank you, John Hughes. You were a formative force in my '80s adolescence. Twisting and shouting in his honor."

No surprise that all four listed above are about the same age -- and were therefore about the same age in Hughes' '80s heyday, the perfect age to be prime recipients of his big-hearted blend of humor and teen angst.

Sure, everybody got countless laughs, endless entertainment, Molly Ringwald and the rest of the Brat Pack from his movies. But for so many of us raised in the Pac-Man era, Hughes' pop-culture contributions went far, far beyond mere entertainment. Like a favorite uncle, he was always handy with a joke -- but he also knew just how to make us realize that he understood what we were going through.

Through his movies, he acknowledged that no matter who you were -- a suburban princess just turning 16; a hopeless nerd sentenced to Saturday detention; a dedicated mischief-maker saddened by the end of his carefree high-school years -- life often sucked, big-time.

Judd Hirsch, Emilio Estevez, Ally Sheedy, Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall in 'The Breakfast Club.'By extension, he told us -- and here's the most important part -- none of us was alone.

It was a supremely comforting thought in an often confusing time.

I don't have any trophies to give, so I can't bestow some posthumous award on John Hughes. I don't own a TV network, either, so I can't build a weekend of programming around him.

I do, however, have control over my Netflix cue, and I do have a Blockbuster card. So I'm going to arrange my own private mini-marathon of my five favorite Hughes movies -- you can find my playlist below -- and I'm going to spend an afternoon watching them.

It'll be just me and a stack of my favorite Hughes DVDs. And I'm going to laugh.

*And I'll know I'm not alone.*

*Thank you, Uncle John.*

260xStory.jpg

John Hughes was a genius. I consider him the modern day Frank Capra. TCM should do a salute to him and here is a line up of films that I recommend.

8:00 PM Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986).

10:00 PM Planes, Trains And Automobiles (1987).

12:00 AM The Breakfast Club (1985).

2:00 AM Sixteen Candles (1984).

4:00 AM She's Having A Baby (1988).

Message was edited by: Kubrickbuff

*Funeral for John Hughes Sign in to Recommend*

by Dave Itzkoff

Published: August 12, 2009

New York Times

The filmmaker John Hughes was buried Tuesday after a private ceremony at a funeral home in Lake Forest, Ill., north of Chicago, The Chicago Tribune reported. Mr. Hughes, a longtime North Shore resident who paid tribute to the area in films like ?Ferris Bueller?s Day Off,? died of a heart attack in Manhattan on Thursday. He was 59. The funeral service was attended by the actors Vince Vaughn and Matthew Broderick, the star of ?Ferris Bueller,? as well as Ben Stein, the actor and commentator who played a droning high school teacher in that film and was a longtime friend of Mr. Hughes. Speaking of Mr. Hughes, Mr. Stein told The Tribune: ?We?ll never see his like again. He was the Wordsworth of the suburban America postwar generation. He was a great, great, great genius and as much of a friend and a great family man as he was a poet.?