Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
slaytonf

Sammy Davis, Jr. is the greatest entertainer. Ever.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Did George Harrison write "Taxman" while he was still a member of THE BEATLES? 

Also, has anyone else ever listened to the snarliest version of "Taxman" ever recorded?  You'd be hard-pressed to find a nastier version of "Taxman" than what Black Oak Arkansas recorded in 1975.  Jim 'Dandy' Mangrum screeching at the end adds a nice touch. 

Yes. It's the opening song on Side 1 of "Revolver."

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jakeem said:

I'm amazed that anyone might not know that but does know the song "Taxman"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I'm amazed that anyone might not know that but does know the song "Taxman"

Yes, but the members of The Beatles did individual projects all the time. I'll bet some people don't know if "Instant Karma" was a Beatles hit or a Lennon solo record.

See the source image

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Yes, but the members of The Beatles did individual projects all the time. I'll bet some people don't know if "Instant Karma" was a Beatles hit or a Lennon solo record.

See the source image

It was a Lennon solo because I bought the 45.

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

s-l1600.jpg

And may I say I think one of the best opening numbers of any album I ever heard in the 60s-- second only to the opening of Brian Wilson's Pet Sounds--" Wouldn't It Be Nice?"

Just now, Princess of Tap said:

It was a Lennon solo because I bought the 45.

As Alex Trebek would say: "You are correct."

See the source image

• Haha 1

@HALLOWS.  I've heard BLACK OAK ARKANSAS's snarly version of "Taxman" more times than I can keep track of.  That's the version I've listened to for almost 30 years.  It's on their compilation album I bought in 1990 (or was it '91?) when I was still in high school ("THE  BEST OF BLACK OAK ARKANSAS/Atco").  On a cassette tape.  I still have the tape after almost 3 decades.  It plays!  I don't know when I found out that "Taxman" writer 'G. Harrison' was George Harrison of 'BEATLES' fame or when I finally heard Harrison's original recording.  I never followed THE BEATLES growing up or when I became an adult.  Nothing personal against THE BEATLES; I just had lots of other music to listen to first.  To me, 'G. Harrison' could've been any songwriter. 

17 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

@HALLOWS.  I've heard BLACK OAK ARKANSAS's snarly version of "Taxman" more times than I can keep track of.  That's the version I've listened to for almost 30 years.  It's on their compilation album I bought in 1990 (or was it '91?) when I was still in high school ("THE  BEST OF BLACK OAK ARKANSAS/Atco").  On a cassette tape.  I still have the tape after almost 3 decades.  It plays!  I don't know when I found out that "Taxman" writer 'G. Harrison' was George Harrison of 'BEATLES' fame or when I finally heard Harrison's original recording.  I never followed THE BEATLES growing up or when I became an adult.  Nothing personal against THE BEATLES; I just had lots of other music to listen to first.  To me, 'G. Harrison' could've been any songwriter. 

What is Black Oak Arkansas?

48 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

No offense intended.  I'm a bit too young for THE BEATLES myself, though old enough to have been listening to my brother's records in the '60s.  I am surprised that anyone might know "Taxman" - in any other context other than Revolver.   BTW BLACK OAK ARKANSAS are a great band! 

Oh, I had Shaved Fish on vinyl...

53 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

What is Black Oak Arkansas?

You've never heard of Jim "Dandy" Mangrum?

• Like 1

No offense taken, Hallows.  I reckon BOA is not one of the most well-remembered bands from the 1970s, but they did put out a fair number of albums and packed concert arenas for several years in the 1970s before fading from the limelight by the end of decade.  I would say to any potential listeners if one tires of 'polished' Southern Rock and wants to listen to some wild and primitive form of 'hillbilly metal' then BLACK OAK ARKANSAS is waiting to pounce on your eardrums!  And possibly burst them open.  

If you haven't heard the 1972 BOA song "FEVER IN MY MIND" it's one wild piece of music best listened to with the volume ^UP^.  Cheers.  I reckon you'll either like it -or- run screaming from the room shrieking "What the hell is this?!"           

I see you posted their lone Top 40 hit, jakeem, with their remake of 'Jim Dandy'.  I think that was a Laverne Baker song from 1957.  And that's the late Ruby Starr hangin' with Jim Mangrum on stage.  'Jim Dandy' is one of their 'nicer' songs.  Compare it with WILD MEN FROM THE MOUNTAINS.    

Damn.  I ♥ that song.  I blew the speakers out in my car back in the mid-90s listening to BOA.  This was one of the many songs of theirs I'd yank the volume way up and listen while motoring down the highway.  I still don't know ALL the lyrics Jim Dandy is singing despite having heard this a few hundred times.  :P  Doesn't even matter at this point. 

If you fancy listening to one of BOA's most lunatic songs check out TOO HOT TO STOP.  It was the last song on the 1975 album X-RATED.  It's nuts.  Especially the last 45 seconds.  I guarantee you an *interesting* and LOUD listening experience should you decide to have a go.  Cheers. 

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

You've never heard of Jim "Dandy" Mangrum?

They're good-- in small doses.

But I suppose I have liked ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Georgia Satellites.

But that's not the kind of rock I'm going to make a meal off of-- but it's okay.

And I do remember when people used to freak out over the Allman Brothers. But that was a long time ago.

The Beatles were the biggest pop music phenomenon ever.  And coming out of Hamburg, if you take John Lennon's word for it, they were the best damn rock group on the planet.  As performers on stage, without their music, there was nothing eye-popping.  What I mean by entertainer is wow, pizzazz, razzle dazzle, searchlights and fireworks lighting up the stage.   Here's an example of what Mr. Davis Jr. could do:

Watch it?  Ok.  Now I know you're thinking to yourself, "Hey, those weren't good impersonations!"  And that's my point.  They didn't need to be.  He kept the audience rapt with his performance, with his command of the material and his ease on stage.  

And thinking about it, I'd add another name to those of Mr. Davis and Janis Joplin for the best entertainers:  Judy Garland.  I haven't seen many of her live performances, but from the ones I've seen, she had the same ability to grab an audience and give them a rocko-socko show.

2 hours ago, slaytonf said:

The Beatles were the biggest pop music phenomenon ever.  And coming out of Hamburg, if you take John Lennon's word for it, they were the best damn rock group on the planet.  As performers on stage, without their music, there was nothing eye-popping.  What I mean by entertainer is wow, pizzazz, razzle dazzle, searchlights and fireworks lighting up the stage.  

Who are you trying to kid? It was an event whenever The Beatles took the stage.

6 hours ago, jakeem said:

Who are you trying to kid? It was an event whenever The Beatles took the stage.

Well, I'm certainly not trying to kid you.  Or convince you, which is likely only a little more difficult than convincing the Pope to turn pagan.  In the wild hope it will make a difference to anybody, I offer  the distinction between the music, which the Beatles had, and performance, which was Sammy Davis Jr.'s.  Evidence the music, coupled with their appealing personas, was the source of the Beatles' popularity is that their greatest success came after they stopped performing in concert.  Sammy Davis could take the stage with only a straw hat and a microphone and not just entertain an audience, but captivate them.  That is showmanship.

11 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Well, I'm certainly not trying to kid you.  Or convince you, which is likely only a little more difficult than convincing the Pope to turn pagan.  In the wild hope it will make a difference to anybody, I offer  the distinction between the music, which the Beatles had, and performance, which was Sammy Davis Jr.'s.  Evidence the music, coupled with their appealing personas, was the source of the Beatles' popularity is that their greatest success came after they stopped performing in concert.  Sammy Davis could take the stage with only a straw hat and a microphone and not just entertain an audience, but captivate them.  That is showmanship.

And this wasn't showmanship? The Beatles' legendary final public performance on a London rooftop occurred 51 years ago today, by the way.

20 hours ago, jakeem said:

The Beatles did. Plus they sang, danced and acted.

Really?   I don't recall any dancing they or any one of them was noted for.   And only one of them( Ringo) could be said to have done any acting( John's foray into it wasn't what you could call "acting" and for one movie.  And the band's two movies also really didn't call for them to act.)   And depending on what you might believe......

John, George and Sammy are probably sitting together and laughing about this whole discussion.  ;)

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Really?   I don't recall any dancing they or any one of them was noted for.   And only one of them( Ringo) could be said to have done any acting( John's foray into it wasn't what you could call "acting" and for one movie.  And the band's two movies also really didn't call for them to act.) 

Don't you know sarcasm when you read it? But all four Beatles definitely could act.

See the source image

If they can remember song lyrics, they should have no problem reciting hand-fed lines from a script.  But that don't really make them actors.  But then there's the "Brando factor".  ;)   in that one can be acknowledged as the "best American actor"  by reading from idiot cards.

But don't get me wrong, I'm a long time Beatles fan, and an old Brando fan as well. 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

If anything, to me he had the most memorable number in Robin and the Seven Hoods (1964). And it's the scene where I remembered I watched the movie before.

• Thanks 1

Great Entertainer - for my money…a tator, THE GREAT DICTATOR…

file-20170822-22283-omfhs6.jpg?ixlib=rb-

Who can make the sun rise?

A-44133-1319530480.jpeg.jpg

SUNDAY FEBRUARY 2 - check your local PBS schedule American Master Sammy Davis Jr. “I’ve Gotta Be Me” 2-hour episode.

Highly recommended viewing.

❤️

• Thanks 2