Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JakeHolman

What's the "Best" Picture Ever?

As far as I am concerned, it's The Long, Long Trailer.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

91rFndAZYoL._SY445_.jpg

Saaaay now, Lawrence.

So when exactly did THIS one overtake your high opinion of...

uZVZ4qyxsV5kh2b3hYUHCRIy5J0.jpg

(...I thought THIS one was always tops with YOU, ol' boy???!!!) ;)

2 hours ago, JakeHolman said:

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.

D. W. Griffith

This clearly outdated. Today, movie are not so forgotten.

Certainly not Vertigo (re: the question above). it may be a "favorite" of many; but objectively, the messed up plot should disqualify it.  The article above points out that there is a "crucial distinction" between a "favorite" and a "best ever" and there is no argument there. Favorites are easy to find but getting objective about the best ever is a problem. I'm not qualified to make a judgement like that. But it would still be fun to try anyway, relying on what is a favorite and then basing the rest on an intuitive leap into what might be the best ever. The article cited above offers a good discussion on how to approach the problem, relying on a notion that best by category might be a good approach. I like that idea.

//

There is no way to determine an objective "best picture ever". The idea is absurd. There is only subjective appraisal and appreciation. And of course the prejudices developed from a century of film writing and criticism that consciously or subconsciously influences what is generally accepted as the typically-mentioned "film classics". Even if one tries to differentiate between personal favorites and those films that meet certain critical criteria that render them in some perceived way as superior, the list-maker is still going to be choosing their favorite from among those rarefied "classics".  

• Like 1

Looking at it Objectively, "Citizen Kane" is the best film ever made. 

Subjectively, I believe "The Graduate" is the best film ever made. 

There is no proper way to identify a film as the best, because everyone's opinion is different 

Well, in THAT case, THIS one, and because I said so  ;)...

(...and heck, it even has the word "Best" in its title, doesn't it?!)  ;)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

There is no way to determine an objective "best picture ever". The idea is absurd. There is only subjective appraisal and appreciation. And of course the prejudices developed from a century of film writing and criticism that consciously or subconsciously influences what is generally accepted as the typically-mentioned "film classics". Even if one tries to differentiate between personal favorites and those films that meet certain critical criteria that render them in some perceived way as superior, the list-maker is still going to be choosing their favorite from among those rarefied "classics".  

Not "purely" objective, no. So I think we agree, fundamentally. But It's possible to like A over B and yet feel B is intrinsically the better picture over A (when considering certain elements, etc.)

14 hours ago, laffite said:

Not "purely" objective, no. So I think we agree, fundamentally. But It's possible to like A over B and yet feel B is intrinsically the better picture over A (when considering certain elements, etc.)

What people intuitively feel is "objective" tends to still be subjective. I don't see any place for objectivity when discussing film preferences. If someone likes A over B, but feels B is still "better" than A "objectively" (which is how I am understanding you), then I think that person is just confused about objectivity. It sounds more like the person likes A over B, but feels that B is more in line with what they normally (subjectively) prefer.

1 hour ago, GGGGerald said:

Empire (1964)

Alternate title : Waiting for Kong

• Haha 1

I believe that the two best movies of all time are bookends: "Gone With The Wind' and "The Best Years Of Our Lives"

While very different, both GWTW  and TBYOOL  represent how war changes everything, our lives, our values and society in general.

How is it possible to determine the best movie ever made without seeing every movie ever made?  Of course,  since many films no longer exist that's impossible. The more logical question would be  "what do you consider the best movie you've ever seen?" In either case the answer is subjective and depends on the tastes of the person being asked..

• Like 1

My personal favorite is Nights of Cabiria. It's funny and has a really uplifting message