Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BKEmanuele

Robert Culp Day

It would be really nice to see  August 16, 2020 be "Robert Culp" day at TCM.  That date would have been his ninetieth birthday. 

Robert Culp starred in one of the great works of American cinema, Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice.  He also directed Operation Breadbasket which the American Film Institute considers a seminal work in the documentary category and he directed  Hickey & Boggs which has come to be widely regarded as one of the last great film noir works.

He also starred or appeared in other popular and acclaimed works such as PT 109, Hannie Caulder, Turk 182, and The Pelican Brief.

If you agree, please say so below so maybe TCM will do this!     

That would fit in well with Summer Under the Stars.  I'd also urge the inclusion of A Cold Night's Death (1973):

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/462546/Cold-Night-s-Death-A/

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice and Hannie Caulder are great movies but he is primarily a TV actor. I Spy is the show he will be best remembered for, he was a Columbo murderer 3 times. Due to his dapper appearance and cocky attitude he was the perfect contrast to Peter Falk's rumpled and seemingly bumbling police lieutenant. He also appeared in a good suburban Death Wish  TV knockoff called  Outrage.

I'll place a vote for Culp, if only for his fabulous performance in Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice.  While I agree with Detective Jim that he was primarily a television actor...in addition to his great acting in I Spy, he gave two stellar performances in The Outer Limits...the three 90-minute Columbo episodes (he had a memorable supporting role in a fourth episode) were essentially TV movies, and the show was a classic (Turner Classic Movies...get it?).  The guy was so talented, TCM should recognize him.

I wouldn't say B&C&T&A was "great cinema", as it was more controversial(in subject matter anyway) and a general disappointment when released.   And don't prattle on about it's "critical and commercial success" because a lot ot critics liking a movie almost never guarantees quality and either does selling a lot of tickets. 

But this is no slam on Culp, who most do know mostly from Television work, like I SPY and the earlier TV western TRACKDOWN( forGOT, eh?  ;) ) from '57-to'59.  I'll gladly jump on that "Robert Culp Day" bandwagon.   :)

Sepiatone

Now, don't get me wrong here, as I too have always liked Robert Culp in almost anything I've ever seen him in, and all the way from his initial career breakthrough starring role in the late-'50s television western Trackdown  and on through to his late career guest appearances in the sitcom Everybody Loves Raymond.

However first, and as some have already mentioned here with the vast majority of his work being in television, and so with a much smaller percentage of them being in theatrically released films of any major note, and with perhaps the film Bob, Carol, Ted and Alice being one of the few exceptions to this, I have to question if TCM would be an appropriate venue for any sort of tribute day to him.

I would think even before TCM would look into such a thing, there might be some other contemporaries of Culp's whose first exposure into the public's awareness was also by means of starring in a 1950s television program but who would also go on to good success and make some memorable theatrically released films.

And so, while I believe there might have already been such SUTS or SOTM tributes to Steve McQueen, James Garner and perhaps (because I'm not sure) Lee Marvin, I would think such a TCM tribute might better first be considered for actor James Coburn, another early television contemporary of Culp's but who also had good success in many lead or costarring roles on the big screen, and who near the end of his life would win a Best Supporting Actor Oscar. 

And no folks, it's NOT just because I kind'a look like the guy. ;)

(...sorry BKE, I didn't mean to sidetrack your thread here with an "alternate option", but this is how I truly felt about your proposal...and btw, welcome to the boards)

Thank you everyone for the feedback, and you are all absolutely right, he was primarily a TV actor, but since no less an institution as the American Film Institute considers his documentary Operation Breadbasket as a seminal work, and many of his TV films were released abroad as cinema works, I would like to see him recalled on his ninetieth birthday in some way, and I think TCM is a good place to do that.

And no, I never forgot about Trackdown (from which Wanted: Dead or Alive, McQueen's first vehicle spun off), a lot of folks don't remember Culp's first TV series, though it has gained some notoriety lately because of an episode called "End of the World" where Culp's character Hoby Gilman confronts a huckster by the name of....and yes I swear this is true...Trump.  

I also apologize for my delay in responding.  I wasn't sure if this post was ever "approved."

ROBERT CULP certainly appeared in enough theatrical films to fill up a day of programming on TCM.  And if Turner Classic is not able to get the rights to enough of his theatrical films to fill up 24 hours of programming then there's always his TV movies to fall back on. 

Not sure I agree that Culp was a "movie star" with enough work for a day's programming.  He may have appeared in several movies or produced/directed a few, but not a day's worth.

Incidentally, Trackdown is available on MeTV, one of the OTA networks.  Watched a couple of episodes, but not impressed and I like westerns.  As for B&C&T&A, I watched it a couple of months back, but not as impressive as when I first saw it.  While Culp does have a "leading" role, it is a Natalie Wood movie.

some of Culp's best acting was on The Outer Limits. 

1. the architects of fear

2. corpus earthling

3. demon with a glass hand

It would be amazing to have the decades of the many and varied talents of Robert Culp showcased on his 90th birthday.

What a wonderful idea to make August 16th  ROBERT CULP DAY to remember and honor this very talented actor's legacy on his 90th birthday!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TLoring said:

What a wonderful idea to make August 16th  ROBERT CULP DAY to remember and honor this very talented actor's legacy!!

August is Summer under the Stars months (a star featured each day of the month),  so it would be nice if Culp was featured on the 16th this year.

There are enough films for a tribuite:

Sunday in New York

Rhino

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice

Hannie Caulder

Hickey & Boggs

A Name for Evil

The Castaway Cowboy

Sky Riders

Breaking Point

Two more ROBERT CULP theatrical movies:

INSIDE OUT (1975-UK)

GREAT SCOUT AND CATHOUSE THURSDAY, The (1976)

I would also like to request Robert Culp be honored on his birthday this year August 16, Robert Culp Day.

He appeared in a wonderful TV movie  "Houston We've Got A Problem"

Also two episodes Of the TV Series "The Name of the Game";  Little Bear Died Running and Cynthia Is Alive and Living in Avalon.

And two episodes of "The Rifleman";   The Man From Salinas and Hero.

Robert Culp enjoyed a long and varied career in Television and Feature Films and there are many choices that TCM could chose to showcase his talent.

9 minutes ago, DamnSkippy said:

I would also like to request Robert Culp be honored on his birthday this year August 16, Robert Culp Day.

He appeared in a wonderful TV movie  "Houston We've Got A Problem"

Also two episodes Of the TV Series "The Name of the Game";  Little Bear Died Running and Cynthia Is Alive and Living in Avalon.

And two episodes of "The Rifleman";   The Man From Salinas and Hero.

Robert Culp enjoyed a long and varied career in Television and Feature Films and there are many choices that TCM could chose to showcase his talent.

TCM doesn't show made for T.V. movies or T.V. series.    

There are enough films for a tribute:

Sunday in New York

Rhino

Hannie Caulder

Hickey & Boggs

A Name for Evil

The Castaway Cowboy

Sky Riders

Breaking Point

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

TCM doesn't show made for T.V. movies or T.V. series.    

There are enough films for a tribute:

Sunday in New York

Rhino

Hannie Caulder

Hickey & Boggs

A Name for Evil

The Castaway Cowboy

Sky Riders

Breaking Point

Plus PT 109, The Great Scout and Cathouse Thursday, Turk 182, and The Pelican Brief......

• Like 2