Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TomJH

Name An Outstanding Performance From An Actor You Don't Normally Think Is That Good

As many times as I've mentioned my shuddering dislike for Barry Fitzgerald, it's only right to mention that he gives an altogether outstanding performance as a treacherous, sniveling villain in The Sea Wolf. He's also rather good as the hanging judge in And Then There Were None.

• Like 4

maxresdefault.jpg

Kristie Alley in Deconstructing Harry (1997).

Renee Zellwegger in Chicago

While I always like John Belushi, most of his movies were wide open slap stick comedies. However, CONTINENTAL DIVIDE really showed a different side of his talent. It's a shame his career and life were cut so short. 

Van Johnson gives an excellent performance as the officer who relieves Humphrey Bogart in The Caine Mutiny.

• Like 6

Oliver Reed always struck me as a sloshed, paycheck-grumpy sadist/bully (even when he tried to play "good" in Burnt Offerings), but his restrained final role in Gladiator (2000) redeemed the entire mess of a movie:  

And Charlton Heston, also at the end, redeemed an entire career of 70's overacting and NRA bat-assery by reminding us what he was good at in the early days--Doing Shakespeare in the Kenneth Branagh Hamlet (1996), and wiping all the other part-time Shakespeareans off the screen:

peeping-tom-790x480.png

Karlheinz Bohm as Mark Lewis in Peeping Tom (1960).

George Brent seems much better than usual opposite Myrna Loy in Stamboul and opposite Barbara Stanwyck in The Gay Sisters and My Reputation.

8 hours ago, kingrat said:

George Brent seems much better than usual opposite Myrna Loy in Stamboul and opposite Barbara Stanwyck in The Gay Sisters and My Reputation.

And to that list i would add The Rains Came.

• Like 1