Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

You are able to travel through time and experience Classic Hollywood. Who would you want to meet and why?

Rin Tin Tin

Okay, so I like dogs.  

Alright, alright. In all seriousness here:

Orson Welles 

AND, wait a minute. Let me think here. OH YEAH and:

Ava Gardner

(...okay, so I like sultry as all hell brunettes with a slight cleft in their chins,  too)  ;)

I don't know the names of the people who were in charge of film storage and preservation during the classic film period or early days of cinema but I would want to meet them and ask why they were so slipshod in preserving films during their tenure.  Why were so many films at studios permitted to deteriorate and lost due to lack of interest on their part.

I would also like to meet Jean Harlow, Hedy Lamarr, Carole Lombard, Ginger Rogers, Eleanor Powell,  Marilyn Monroe and certainly Charles Lane.  The five gorgeous actresses because I would want to see them and just thank them for making this earth a better place.  I would want to meet Charles Lane, the character actor who can be seen in movies and television shows from the 1930s to the 1990s, to hear the stories and anecdotes he had collected and experienced during his illustrious career and life. 

• Like 1

I have two minds on this. On the one hand it would be nice to meet "safe" actors, the nice guys of Hollywood, like Gary Cooper, Jimmy Stewart, Gregory Peck and Carole Lombard.

But there's another part of me that is interested in the "wild" boys of Hollywood, John Barrymore and Errol Flynn. You don't quite know what you might experience here (both guys could also be very charming under the right circumstances, as well as great raconteurs) but it might make for a far more interesting time spent than with most people you meet.

• Like 2

Most definitely I would want to meet John Barrymore and Errol Flynn. May include a trip to Bundy Drive to see them. 

If I were going to earn a living back then, I would like to work in some capacity in a movie studio as a script girl or something. I think that would be great fun.

13 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

Most definitely I would want to meet John Barrymore and Errol Flynn. May include a trip to Bundy Drive to see them. 

If I were going to earn a living back then, I would like to work in some capacity in a movie studio as a script girl or something. I think that would be great fun.

And it could also be that Barrymore or Flynn may have invited you to join them at Bundy Drive.

31 minutes ago, TomJH said:

And it could also be that Barrymore or Flynn may have invited you to join them at Bundy Drive.

Yeah, ain't it funny how "Bundy Drive" would become even MORE notorious a few decades later?!

(...well okay, maybe not "funny", but you know what I mean)

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

I don't know that I would be up to that much fun, if you know what I mean. Hint, hint, nudge, nudge...

51 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

I don't know that I would be up to that much fun, if you know what I mean. Hint, hint, nudge, nudge...

Yeh but Barrymore and Flynn would be up for it.

31f8iLiuy4L.jpg

"I'm so shy. Would you mind handing me that towel, young lady, (and helping me dry off)?"

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, TomJH said:

31f8iLiuy4L.jpg

"I'm so shy. Would you mind handing me that towel, young lady, (and helping me dry off)?"

AND ironically, the very SAME line I understand Harvey What's-His-Name would use a few decades later to much LESS success than Errol Flynn ever had!

(...hmmm...wonder if that's 'cause poor Harvey doesn't look anything like Errol, nor evidently could muster up near the level of charm Errol could too)

• Like 1

I feel like I "meet" them through their films.

Now if you had asked who would I like to go back and have sex with, well that would be a much more exciting conversation.

Like returning to your high school reunion and saying "hmmm...why didn't I have sex with so and so back in the day" or "yeah, sure glad I didn't have sex with that so and so."

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I feel like I "meet" them through their films.

Now if you had asked who would I like to go back and have sex with, well that would be a much more exciting conversation.

Like returning to your high school reunion and saying "hmmm...why didn't I have sex with so and so back in the day" or "yeah, sure glad I didn't have sex with that so and so."

I want to go back and kiss Myrna Loy good night, then crash in my separate bed.

the-thin-man-bedroom.jpg

• Like 4
4 hours ago, TomJH said:

31f8iLiuy4L.jpg

Well, that does it. I'm off for a cold shower myself.

• Haha 2

One thing learned about time travel is the butterfly effect.  Example, what if by meeting a classic star, you caused his or her premature death because the simple act of talking  would delayed where they would had been  places them at the wrong place at the wrong time?

26 minutes ago, hamradio said:

One thing learned about time travel is the butterfly effect.  Example, what if by meeting a classic star, you caused his or her premature death because the simple act of talking  would delayed where they would had been  places them at the wrong place at the wrong time?

Now ham ol' boy, "premature death" you say?!

What, like some time traveler could make Flynn even MORE self-destructive than he already WAS?

Would that even be possible in his case?

(...you must be talkin' in more general terms here, huh)  ;)

43 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I'm with you with Leslie Howard, but I think I have to switch Johnny Mercer for Hoagy Carmichael. 

I would love to have a conversation with Johnny Mercer,  my favorite lyricist.     Hoagy and Johnny were close friend that worked together a lot so we could set-this-up where we are able to speak to both of them at the same time!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I would love to have a conversation with Johnny Mercer,  my favorite lyricist.     Hoagy and Johnny were close friend that worked together a lot so we could set-this-up where we are able to speak to both of them at the same time!

Don't forget Johnny Mercer wrote the lyrics and music to some of his songs.

Fred Astaire centered his movie "Daddy Long Legs" on music and lyrics by Johnny Mercer, featuring the Mercer standard "Dream".