Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In Memoriam: Treasures from the Disney Vault

As hosted by Leonard Maltin, Treasures from the Disney Vault has been a quarterly programming staple on TCM for at least the last 5+ years, with specials typically scheduled during March, June/July, September/October and December.

Now December is almost over this year and no Disney Vault has been seen.  As a bit of an alternative, Leonard Maltin was used as a co-host with Ben to introduce Christmas classics for the last 4 weeks.

And with the March schedule announcement, we can see there will be no Disney Vault in March 2020 either.

So I’m calling it - say goodbye to Treasures from the Disney Vault.  Whether it was cancelled by Disney (“we don’t need it since we have our own streaming service with all of those treasures”) or by Warner (“why should we advertise someone else’s content”), we may never know.  But it looks as if we will not see the likes of the Disney Vault on TCM again.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and Disney Vault may show up in April, but at this point I would say don’t count on it.

2 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

As hosted by Leonard Maltin, Treasures from the Disney Vault has been a quarterly programming staple on TCM for at least the last 5+ years, with specials typically scheduled during March, June/July, September/October and December.

Now December is almost over this year and no Disney Vault has been seen.  As a bit of an alternative, Leonard Maltin was used as a co-host with Ben to introduce Christmas classics for the last 4 weeks.

Leonard Maltin's going through some rough medical times at the moment, but there's no one else with the personal Disney-history credits.

(And ten years later, we're still nagging him for those two Disney Treasures DVD archive boxsets we never got...)

In his public appearances, you can see that Leonard has a tremor in his hand(s), but I didn’t think that was necessarily a sign of more serious problems.  He appears to be very active with his web site and podcasts, and I thought he looked fine during his TCM intros this past month so I hope he is doing OK.

For someone his age, he also seems to be very sharp in recalling details of all the films and filmmakers he has dealt with (I’m not sure I would be able to do the same).  I don’t have the Disney streaming service, so I don't know if he is doing any new content for them, but if anyone is interested they can read his film/book reviews etc. at leonardmaltin.com