Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mdanderson

Closed captions not staying on long enough

I have Spectrum(not my choice) as my tv provider and for the past few weeks the movies on TCM that do have closed captions are not staying on the screen long enough to be read. This does not happen on any other channel except TCM.  I called Spectrum and they said it was a provider issue since no other channels are affected. I have no setting option in my Spectrum cable box that allows me to control how long the captions stay on the screen. Thanks for any help.

11 hours ago, mdanderson said:

I have Spectrum(not my choice) as my tv provider and for the past few weeks the movies on TCM that do have closed captions are not staying on the screen long enough to be read. This does not happen on any other channel except TCM.  I called Spectrum and they said it was a provider issue since no other channels are affected. I have no setting option in my Spectrum cable box that allows me to control how long the captions stay on the screen. Thanks for any help.

I also have Spectrum Charter.  I do believe TCM provides the captioning, but it is done by some organization.  If I remember correctly, I periodically see notices in end credits that closed captioning provided by_____________.  The problem is for the captioning to stay up with the speaking  and in many movies and shows that is very hard to do.  Another factor I have noticed is that if you watch the action, you miss part of the captioning.  If you read the captioning, you miss part of the action.

It is worse for "live" broadcasts such as news programs in that the "caption maker" cannot keep up with the speaking.  The fact that "personalities" today speak very rapidly does not help either.  This even occurs in movies and TV shows.

• Like 1

I don't need to rely on closed captions, but I've seen it set-up on TVs in doctor's and dentists offices, and even where I go for PT has a huge flat panel monitor.  I'm not sure who or what they use for TV service, but they're set-up for CC too.  I often wonder if those with hearing problems and who need to rely on CC  have any problems with it as I've yet to be able to read the captions fast enough and STILL be able to follow the action on the screen.  Seems to me that I miss a lot of both. 

Sepiatone

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I don't need to rely on closed captions, but I've seen it set-up on TVs in doctor's and dentists offices, and even where I go for PT has a huge flat panel monitor.  I'm not sure who or what they use for TV service, but they're set-up for CC too.  I often wonder if those with hearing problems and who need to rely on CC  have any problems with it as I've yet to be able to read the captions fast enough and STILL be able to follow the action on the screen.  Seems to me that I miss a lot of both. 

Sepiatone

A little off subject, but one thing that bugs me is places that have TV's on with no sound, but refuse to turn on the closed captioning.

• Thanks 1

Same problem, captions appear and disappear so fast that it is impossible to read them. It doesn't seem to be related to the speed of the speaker and sometimes (maybe 40-50% of the time) the captions will remain visible long enough to be read.