Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JakeHolman

The 4 Best Manly, All-American Movies Of 2019

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Very true.   Anyone that claims to be a manly-man is anything but.

Thank you.

Imagine if there was a discussion about the best womanly all American movies. It's silly.

23 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thank you.

Imagine if there was a discussion about the best womanly all American movies. It's silly.

Well THAT of course would be about any movie starring Ava Gardner, wouldn't it TB?  ;)

(...okay, OR maybe Stefanie Powers!)

LOL

• Haha 1

I view this Pitt character's beating of the women as similar to the Marlowe shooting of Canino in The Big Sleep.

Showing no mercy for someone that deserves none since they showed no mercy when doing the actual Manson family killings.

Marlowe knows Canino has no more bullets and thus can't harm Vivian or himself.     Marlowe shoots him dead anyhow.     Marlowe views this as justified after what he saw Canino do to Harry Jones.        Censors asked for this scene to be changed since it violated the Production Code (one could say Marlowe committed murder),  but Hawks argued that it was moral retribution and thus shouldn't be changed.        

While the Pitt character doesn't have the same reasoning as Marlowe (i.e. the Pitt character of course doesn't know what actually happened to Tate etc...),   Tarantino knew and likely views the savage "unnecessary" beating as moral retribution.              

54 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I view this Pitt character's beating of the women as similar to the Marlowe shooting of Canino in The Big Sleep.

Showing no mercy for someone that deserves none since they showed no mercy when doing the actual Manson family killings.

Marlowe knows Canino has no more bullets and thus can't harm Vivian or himself.     Marlowe shoots him dead anyhow.     Marlowe views this as justified after what he saw Canino do to Harry Jones.        Censors asked for this scene to be changed since it violated the Production Code (one could say Marlowe committed murder),  but Hawks argued that it was moral retribution and thus shouldn't be changed.        

While the Pitt character doesn't have the same reasoning as Marlowe (i.e. the Pitt character of course doesn't know what actually happened to Tate etc...),   Tarantino knew and likely views the savage "unnecessary" beating as moral retribution.              

YEAH, this sounds about right I'd say, James.

And so now that you've got THIS figured out, tell me...

(...WHAT THE HELL IS THE BIG SLEEP'S PLOT REALLY ABOUT???)

LOL

;)

14 hours ago, Dargo said:

YEAH, this sounds about right I'd say, James.

And so now that you've got THIS figured out, tell me...

(...WHAT THE HELL IS THE BIG SLEEP'S PLOT REALLY ABOUT???)

LOL

;)

I never figured out what The Big Sleep was about.    I was too distracted!

Image result for martha vickers

• Haha 1

Who cares about anything printed in the right-winger rag Federalist?  Anything based on "culture, politics, and religion"  is nothing but fascist spew.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

Who cares about anything printed in the right-winger rag Federalist?  Anything based on "culture, politics, and religion"  is nothing but fascist spew.

Yeah, but isn't it always stated in the most "manly-ness" of ways???  ;)

(...well, except of course when George Will says somethin'...he's always come across to me as more of a wimp...you know, by usin' all those big highfalutin words like most of those wimpy elitists do all the time)

LOL

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 11:03 AM, UMO1982 said:

Now that would depend on what your definition of culture, politics, and religion is.

Whose culture, whose politics, and whose religion?

Those are broad topics and leave a lot to be desired in terms of what your approach would be.

Then when you bring fascism into it, you do bring up other issues and questions.

Are We Now talking about the culture, politics and religion of fascism?

When people make ambiguous statements, it's difficult to understand exactly what they're talking about.

I think I may understand your implication, but I wouldn't want to read your statement in a pejorative manner-- because I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 7:01 PM, Dargo said:

Hmmm...didn't know there had been a recent remake of that Paul Newman flick, Andrea???

So who reprised Newman's role in this one? 

Lemme guess. It was one of those young Ryan What's-Their-Names actors, RIGHT?! 

Betcha they weren't nearly as good as Ol' Blue Eyes was in HIS movie though, huh. ;)

(...just kiddin'...maybe you didn't see that Jake specified the year "2019" here)

Yeah, sorry.  I guess I've taken skimming to a new level and only read the first half of sentences now.

Heaven help us if they do make a new one with one of the Ryans.